Airplanes that flitetest should build

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
How about some Bi planes or more vintage planes like the Old Fogey? Ideally in a simple series with swappable power pod options like the old days before the Master series.
Don't get me wrong I love the Master Series, but sometimes you just want something you can throw together cheaply and quickly in a couple of nights and go out flying for fun like the Tiny Trainer.
I know there is the Baby Blender, the SE5a and the Fokker. But how about a bi plane that doesn't resemble a WW1 fighter or pitts special. Something with a simple build plan thats easy to build, stable to fly yet can be upgraded to be aerobatic ? Or an old style vintage Ben Buckle style plane that flies slow for them hot summer evenings with no wind. Then you could build 3 identical models, colour them differently and fly with friends or family. The simple stick is the first basic fun model I have seen come from Flite test for a while, super size models seems to be the order of the day at the moment.
No disrespect guys you do a great job and I can't sing your praises highly enough, but lets see some old school planes, simple builds and swappables again.

The Fopster

Master member
"lets see some old school planes, simple builds and swappables again"

OK! I've just built a scale mini 1930s air racer. It's a simple foamboard build with a posterboard upper deck like the original FT Spirfire (it's as easy as the original FT mini mustang to build). If I ever get time (just started a new job) there are plans I will share - just need to tidy them up. The only curved foam is the master series style wing but that's no harder than the old style FT wings.

124695503_1280416832311639_7187923073685214584_n.jpg

The Fopster

Master member
"lets see some old school planes, simple builds and swappables again."

How about this? I've just built a scale mini 1930s air racer. It's a simple foamboard build with a posterboard upper deck like the original FT Spirfire. If I ever get time (just started a new job) there are plans I will share - just need to tidy them. Only curved foam is the master series style wing but that's no harder than the old style FT ones.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
"lets see some old school planes, simple builds and swappables again"

OK! I've just built a scale mini 1930s air racer. It's a simple foamboard build with a posterboard upper deck like the original FT Spirfire (it's as easy as the original FT mini mustang to build). If I ever get time (just started a new job) there are plans I will share - just need to tidy them up. The only curved foam is the master series style wing but that's no harder than the old style FT wings.

Now thats what I am talking about thats really good, rminds me of the 1920,s 1930s style racer planes. Great looking model not that it matters, but I can't get an idea of its size from the picture. Whats the wing span and motor size ?

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
From a young age I always loved the design of the Gee Bee Super Sportster. Sadly as I got older and wiser I learnt that they are a particularly hard plane to fly, both in reality as a full size plane and as a model. I still think they look really cool though, I also liked the Spirit of St Luis (the Lindenberg plane) that was always on my lis of planes to build.
I have an old aeromodellers book from the 1050s, with some of these planes in with plans. Unfortunately its only A5 size so difficult to transpose them to a full size plan, plus the pages are getting rather delicate these days.
As a pair of young lads, my brother and I bought a Mercury Matador kit between us. At that young age we didn't realise what was involved in building it, fortunately a family friend and collegue of my father did and built it for us. After that I was hooked and have never lost that love of the old vintage models. Although, I must admit its a lot easier and quicker to build planes these days using foam board. I would like to revisit the Matador one day, but use foam board instead of balsa :unsure:.

RossFPV

Not sure why but i always wanted ft to make a flat sheet of foam fly. It would look crazy just a sheet of foam flying away

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Not sure why but i always wanted ft to make a flat sheet of foam fly. It would look crazy just a sheet of foam flying away
could be done via sufficient vectored thrust (and probably a flight controller).
IE swap the kite for the foam here:

Bigeard

How about the Iconic Stearman P-17 BIPLANE / TRAINER , I am sure there would be a massive interest in this model .