Stuff I bought so far:

Flight Controller: 2 x HK KK V2
Motors: Hextronik 4 x DT750s, 1 x Turnigy D3530/14
Servo: 1 x HobbyKing 939 Metal Gear servo
Gyros: 2 x HobbyKing 401B
Props: 6 x APC style 10x5E
ESCs: 4 x Turnigy Plush 40A
Some wires...

I expect a second shipping with other parts (propellers in counter-rotating combos etc) to arrive soon.

I plan on building tricopter first, then dismantle it and build quadrocopter. I have two boards so I'll have some fun with various setups (VTOL, double-rotor etc).

Tricopter I plan to build is - mostly - based on David Windestals setup as you can see, but I'll build it using aluminum tubing and yaw mechanism. KK board will be isolated from vibration with soft silicone bushings. More on this project soon...

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
How did you get the DT750 motors?

They have been on BK for quite a while!
I wanted to order them but when it came to ordering them, which always takes along time due to the persuasion of my dad convincing him that the following order is VITAL!, took some 1000kv motors. I know you should stay on low kv but I think that would do it as well for a start.

Airwolf

LOL You spend a lot... :)

Yeah, and I probably shouldn't as I'm going to buy an apartment (not all things I bought for this project are on the photo and the list)... But on the other hand I worked hard last three months on a project for some thermonuclear scientists so I guess I deserved it...

How did you get the DT750 motors?

They have been on BK for quite a while!

I didn't knew - they weren't when I ordered them on October 22 (it's when the shipping of HK KK V2s arived as well).

I wanted to order them but when it came to ordering them, which always takes along time due to the persuasion of my dad convincing him that the following order is VITAL!, took some 1000kv motors. I know you should stay on low kv but I think that would do it as well for a start.

Well - advantages of financial independence... I waited for a month or so for HK KK V2 boards for being available agains, and as soon as they were - I bought them... it's just coincidence that DT750's were available as well. I'm sure you'll do fine with 1000kV motors. I've seen tricopters with some random bell motors and they were flying well.

Last edited:

Airwolf

Yeah, it's Chip. He helps me alot with my hobby LOL

He usually sits by me watching what I'm doing, only sometimes he touches some parts carefully with his paw... only a few times I've got to stop him from eating my foamies ;)

Johntra

I'm jealous. that you have all those parts to start your tri and someone in your house actually seems interested in your hobby (unlike my house)

ananas1301

Cool, Chip would give a nice pilot for a 50% rc extra :D:D:D

No joke I would never put an animal into a rc plane !
That is quite risky.
Anyway good luck with your build!

Airwolf

My idea for tricopter's tail motor control mechanism, parts:

1 x Tower Pro bell motor "stick mount" (it's perfect because my square aluminum tubing is 10 x 10 mm)
2 x 250-size heli main rotor shaft bearings (already glued-into the mount on the photo)
1 x m3 self-locking nut
1 x servo control arm
1 x Tower Pro bell motor 3 mm shaft (it's bent, and useless in motor, but it doesn't matter here)
2 x Landing gear wheel stop (3 mm internal diameter)
1 x Brass "something" I've found in my "nuclear-waste" filled drawer ;)

And we have something like this:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
So where do you mount the motor? on the mount? I have a hard time understanding your design...

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
For this to work you'd need to mount the motor perpendicularly to the brass thingy. And cut off the mount part.

Airwolf

It's pretty simple. I didn't said that I'll mount the motor on this mount ;] I'll just use it for a yaw mechanism (let's say it'll be mounted on the black plate on the photo below).

Maybe I'll even mount the servo on the other side and drive it directly, but it would require a minor grinding of the arm.

Last edited:

ananas1301

Ahh now I got it! Now its much clearer by what you meant earlier.

Anyway, this is quite a good mount as the 10x10mm aluminium rod fits nicely into it. However, I wonder for how long this piece of black plastic will hold the motor before it breaks or it breaks the servo in a bad landing.
You might be able to get a rod ziptied to the bottom and let that stick out further than the motor mount so it is secured if you want to.

Anyway, hope it flies well and I cant wait to start my build :D

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
For this to work you'd need to mount the motor perpendicularly to the brass thingy. And cut off the mount part.

Yup. That's what I thought you'd do. Just the motor mount part was a little confusing :) And the missing plate :) But it's OK, we understand now! :)

Airwolf

Frame is 80% ready:

FC board mount insulated from vibrations with soft silicone rubber things I've found in old CD-ROM drive:

Tilt mechanism almost complete:

Now I only need wires, connectors etc (everything is on it's way from HK and should be here in a week or so).

Airwolf

It's the same size as David Windestal's tricopters (arms are roughly 50 cm long) but center plate is much bigger as I need additional mounting space on it (all ESCs will be mounted inside it and those 40A Plush bricks I bought are pretty big).

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
That will look nice. I feel the urge to have a tricopter, but I'm still waiting to have my Bixler.