Help! Airspeed Indicator

the rc project

I’ve alway wondered why fpv guys with the head trackers don’t put voltage and airspeed on the dash as actual instruments. I think that’s the coolest thing ever! I need a head tracking unit first though....

Jackson T

Elite member
Ever since I started flying fpv I've wanted a way to know my airspeed. Many of my fpv crashes have been on takeoffs and landings, all of them due to stalls on takeoff and landings or over speeding the airframe on landings. Although now I've gotten better with flying fpv I would still like to have an airspeed Indicator to make my landings and takeoffs more consistent. Inorder to do this thought up a design (which has probably been done before) where a coreless motor is placed on the aircraft where it will receive unobstructed airflow is then used as a generator, producing a proportional voltage to the airspeed at which the plane is flying. Then the voltage is sent to some sort of programmable board (probably an Arduino) and is turned into a value that corresponds to the airspeed of the plane. This is then relayed to a display to show my airspeed when I'm flying fpv. I have a few questions though,

Could this work?

How expensive would it be to make?

Is there an easier/cheaper way?

Could I make it small enough to go on my Dragonfly MkII/MKIII

I've also seen where @Fallegon made a variometer for a glider that can be seen through an fpv camera. Anyways I hope my rambling has made sense, and let me know what you think, should I embark on this endeavour if so any tips on what to do or get to make this possible?
Interesting project! Do you have a link to @Fallegon's vario thread? It would be super handy to have a vario on my gliders.