AirStock - making money from Drone images/video

bandarra

Hello fellow Pilots!

I'm Andre, one of the founders of AirStock, the website that allows drone operators to upload their footage and for the rest of the world to buy it. Think of it as shutterstock or getty images, but made by drone operators for drone operators. One stop shop for awesome drone footage!

Turns out we attended a Startup Weekend event with the idea and we won! And as such we are entering the worldwide Global Startup Battle. If you like the idea please support us by voting on this link. (you can vote once per email address)

www.airstock.co/vote

Hopefully with the help from the comunity we can be in the top3 most voted ideas and win some seed investment as well as going to Google HQ to make this a reality.
Any suggestions and comments are very welcome!

Many thanks for your support!
Andre
AirStock Team

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I also, but, isn't the FAA going to have a field day with this? I was strongly under the impression that in the USA I cannot realize any pecuniary interest from Amateur Aircraft operations of any kind.:confused:

I don't know where the OP is located but it seems that if I upload any footage (since I am USA based) then the FAA has evidence provided by ME to convict ME!:confused:

Thurmond

Last edited:

jd7792

I also, but, isn't the FAA going to have a field day with this? I was strongly under the impression that in the USA I cannot realize any pecuniary interest from Amateur Aircraft operations of any kind.:confused:

I don't know where the OP is located but it seems that if I upload any footage (since I am USA based) then the FAA has evidence provided by ME to convict ME!:confused:

Thurmond

There is a case before an American court at the moment regarding this exact thing. The FAA have not passed legislation with specific acts against this but are using well documented GUIDELINES to fight the case.
my understanding is this-
Shoot what you want. Have possession of your footage. Use it for non profit display. BUT as soon as money is involved the rules change. All the risks and dangers (yes I know, what risks & dangers) become such an issue that you now need licences, permits, certificates and god knows what else before you can take the footage that you already have????
Now your nice little hobby machine has been re classed as an unmanned drone. Be careful, be very very careful!
What a joke. No risks differ just now it costs you an arm and a leg. I hope you find away around it because there are so many fantastic clips out there and heaps of talented pilot/photographers that are going to waste.

bandarra

Hi All :) (Andres and non-Andres)

Yes those are all very valid and serious point but we can see the light at the end of the tunnel. The thing to bear in mind is that as with everything "new" there is always an adjustment period. Sooner or later users, law, public, will adjust to embrace the amazing potential (for good) of UAVs.

Obviously at the moment the US is a particular case where its being difficult but it looks like the issue will be looked at in 2015 so that gives us time to prepare for it and plus, the world is slightly bigger than the US so by starting early we may all learn something.

Billchuck

BUT as soon as money is involved the rules change. All the risks and dangers (yes I know, what risks & dangers) become such an issue that you now need licences, permits, certificates and god knows what else before you can take the footage that you already have????
Now your nice little hobby machine has been re classed as an unmanned drone. Be careful, be very very careful!
What a joke. No risks differ just now it costs you an arm and a leg. I hope you find away around it because there are so many fantastic clips out there and heaps of talented pilot/photographers that are going to waste.

Look at it from the other end. There is no way for a third party to tell after the fact whether you took those pictures video for the hell of it or with an intent to profit from it.

As for the licensing and such, it's the same reason why a private pilot can't be paid for carrying passengers (with specific exceptions that basically amount to "split the cost of fuel"). If you are flying your aircraft to get pictures you want to sell, or doing so for a client, then your focus is getting the shots rather than flying safely. That is what the concern is: that you will crash and hurt someone while trying to get the picture just right. The licensing, etc. are there in theory to ensure that you are good enough to fly safely even with the distraction.

vk2dxn

Sorry mate I'm not buying into this argument, This subject has been discussed before.
I commend you for your ingenuity for putting the website together however I my self as a hobbyist will not leave myself open to prosecution.

bandarra

Thats very fair. And it is definetly something that is not for everyone.

However we really value everyone's feedback and even more important at this stage, if people think it is a half decent idea please support us by voting! every vote counts!

we are in 20th place out of 235 at the moment. We go through to the next round if we make it to the top15!

www.airstock.co/vote

bandarra

The first of a series of weekly update videos letting you know whats going in the world of Airstoc.

Highlights of our first week as Airstoc have been incorporating the company, designing a logo and making a start on the good old customer validation! Watch the video to know more and don't forget to subscribe to this channel.

www.airstoc.com
@airstoc
fb.com/airstoc