All CCW Motors?

I purchased all four of my motors as CCW by accident and I am only just now noticing it. Is there a way to make this work for my racing drone build or should I return the order? Thanks,

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Use nylock stopnuts probably M5s and be happy.

I never saw CW threaded motors until last year and have been building copters since 2013. I prefer all CCW and purposely purchase that as it makes maintenance simpler and cheaper in the long run.

EDIT:
If you choose to use prop nuts that aren't nylock stop nuts, carry a small nail and tighten the nuts before every flight. If you screw it up, you get to hear this unique little pop just before the copter tumbles from the sky.

Good luck ever finding the prop or the nut. :black_eyed:

And welcome to the FT forums. :)

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Many of the power packs for quads or even so non FT kits are coming with all ccw motors. Too many people were having trouble sourcing the proper standard nuts. It just makes sense to use one thread as standard and just ship proper nyloc nuts. saves time and money in the long run. Motor direction does not matter as that is just a simple swap with two of the wires from the ESC or in some cases a jumper pad on the esc's these days.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I was actually disappointed that my wizard came with cw and ccw motors, I didn't think anyone was doing that anymore. I bought a bunch of reverse thread nylocks so when I eventually lose them I won't be stuck, but of course I haven't lost one yet ;)

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
M5 is pretty standard on 22xx and 23xx motors, not sure about an 1806... I'd message the seller. M2 as the ad says seems small to me, but I've never run any 18xx motors.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
Keep a hex driver or wrench close if you use the nuts that came with the motors. If you keep them tight it's not an issue. I fly with them for the aesthetics.

I am not a racer. :)

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
My Tricopter threw a prop @ FF east… I'm done with that thing. I need better ESCs and motors (anything but NTM!) before I rebuild a tricopter again. I use all standard prop nuts, not nylock or normal nuts, but despite all my catastrophic failures they never pop off as long as I really crank on them.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
My Tricopter threw a prop @ FF east… I'm done with that thing. I need better ESCs and motors (anything but NTM!) before I rebuild a tricopter again. I use all standard prop nuts, not nylock or normal nuts, but despite all my catastrophic failures they never pop off as long as I really crank on them.

Chad (FinalGlideAus) used to post here often. He had in his signature line for a long time this. "Friends don't let friends buy NTM.".

You are at the least, in good company. :)

cranialrectosis

Mentor
So is the consensus an M2 style nylock nut for my particular motor?

I fly both. If you fly the nuts that came with your motors, you will probably someday throw a prop. If you are careful and learn good habits, it will be rare. If you don't ever want to throw a prop due to a loose prop nut, go nylock.

I am sure you can find better but with a quick ebay search I found these.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vaterra-236012-M2-Nylock-Nut-10-/122430291260?epid=1807786670&hash=item1c8169fd3c:g:1QcAAOSwuLZY4q8W

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I took my motor down to the local auto parts place when I first lost one of the original non locking nuts. They could order them but had none in stock. The local hardware store did stock them and in many sizes so try that. Take it with you and try to source them locally.

2jujube7

Use nylock stopnuts probably M5s and be happy.
Good luck ever finding the prop or the nut. :black_eyed:

Haha, today I was out flying my nutball in the snow, and my silver lock nut popped out when I came in for a landing. Gotta wait for the snow to melt. :D

Piotrsko

Master member
Standard aviation practice is to use an additional 1/2 high check nut torqued to "tight" if you dont cotterpin or nylock the primary nut. Local purveyors of hardware including the orange or blue stores have them in the specialty section. Worse case low strength locktite