Allen Middle School RC Club kids

earthsciteach

The kids in our RC club are getting REALLY good at flying! We had winds 17 to about 25 mph after school today. The kids with the Bixler and Sky Surfers were TEARING up the sky! One kid even maidened his 800 mm P-40 in those winds. He didn't fly it long, but he flew it around and brought it down in one piece. When he asked me if I wanted to fly it, I said, "No Way!" I've flown my 800 mm Spit in winds far less than that and it is horribly twitchy.

No one suffered any mentionable damage. No one, except for me. My Super Cub is now in several pieces. I had it loaded for a bombing run. When I took off, the wind grabbed it and blew it over the school like a tissue. I've had a rough week.:black_eyed:

earthsciteach

Thanks for your excitement regarding my regression in piloting skills, Andre. ;)
I did fly the Bixler for a while today. God, I can't imagine that there is an airplane more fun to fly in high winds! Those planes are simply FUN!

RCD

I'm in 9th grade. I sucked one friend in, but no one else is interested unfortunately. I hear all these schools have an RC club but mine. Lol I have a good collection to fly if there were one. Lol

earthsciteach

Can you fly on your school grounds? What's in your air force?

As a teacher, I try to incorporate my personal interests into school. I've run a canoe and kayak club, outdoor club, and now, an RC club. This one has really taken off, pardon the pun. Along with another teacher, I also give kids the opportunity to go on a 3 day field immersion experience where they learn A LOT about ecology. And, along with 2 other teachers, I teach the Science Olympiad team at our school. It gives me a chance to give kids the opportunity to learn in much more meaningful ways than the typical classroom environment. But, I do get to take all the kids out of the classroom and make them get dirty doing hands on stuff outside due to the awesome opportunities we have on our school property. It really is the greatest job ever!

RCD

We have a football stadium, but it has tall bleachers so it is kind of hard keeping the plane in the field. I usually fly at the local park during winter and the Clevelland RC Club in Spring, Summer, andFall. My fleet is on my signiture. I would absolutuslly love to have a job just like yours!!!

teflyer

Full Circle
RCD, don't feel alone.:) Down here we do not have one either. I got lucky and already had a friend in RC and found a teacher interested, but not into RC due to money. Pretty hard to search for people that are intereseted in RC planes, isn't it?

Earthsciteach, those kids are really lucky to hae you for a teacher. Not only are they getting ahead in the sciences and getting a feel of competitions with Science Olympiad, but they are also getting hands on experience on RC planes that help them possibly be interested in the aerodynamic field and possible help them to understand princples of flight better due to the hands on experience. Thank you for your work and good luck with your supercub!

earthsciteach

Bah- I look at it this way... I now have a job where I get to do all the ridiculous things that I love. Beats the hell out of Mechanical Engineering! Heck, I even built a wind turbine last year. Why? Why not! And if I can spark something in kids along the way, then I have made an impact I could never had made in the private sector.