Also building a glider

danskis

Master member
This is half the center section of the X RES - a 2 meter, hi-start, rudder, elevator, spoiler plane. Very simple but a gas to fly. I should come in around 13.5 to 14 ounces. A bit of a challenge as all the directions are in German and it goes together totally differently than the last glider I built of this type. There is no carbon fiber in this one - its all wood, either balsa, ply, or birch. I'll use mostly CA on it but I'll also use some aliphatic resin (carpenters glue). Hopefully I'll have most of the center section done tomorrow.

XRES wing.jpg

danskis

Master member
After much thrashing and a few mistakes the basic wing is finished. I still have to build out the spoilers (wouldn't want to miss those landing points) install the servos for the spoilers, carve the wing tips, glue the outer wing sections together and check the whole thing for rough spots and sand. Then on to the fuselage.

wing.jpg

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Después de muchas palizas y algunos errores, el ala básica está terminada. Todavía tengo que construir los alerones (no me gustaría perder esos puntos de aterrizaje), instalar los servos para los alerones, tallar las puntas de las alas, pegar las secciones exteriores del ala y revisar todo en busca de asperezas y arena. Luego al fuselaje.

View attachment 236134
Wow Dan that looks really well. Well done sir

Last edited:

danskis

Master member
It's been slow going and a little dissapointing. The wing did not come out well - I have about an inch more dihedral on one wing tip than the other. I was thinking of just binning the project be I've decided to finish it - if nothing else just for the practice. The fuselage came out dead straight which was satisfying. It was supposed to be a contest quality plane - who knows it still might be even it only turns well in one direction. Still lots of sanding to do to get the weight down.

Attachments

• X RES with wing.jpg
    X RES with wing.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 0

dap35

Elite member
This is half the center section of the X RES - a 2 meter, hi-start, rudder, elevator, spoiler plane. Very simple but a gas to fly. I should come in around 13.5 to 14 ounces. A bit of a challenge as all the directions are in German and it goes together totally differently than the last glider I built of this type. There is no carbon fiber in this one - its all wood, either balsa, ply, or birch. I'll use mostly CA on it but I'll also use some aliphatic resin (carpenters glue). Hopefully I'll have most of the center section done tomorrow.

View attachment 234988
I built a german glider from Aeronaught... a quick search and I found english instructions on a british site... try this :==> X-RES Instructions 2a [1286kb]

Piotrsko

Master member
It will fly just fine. I have seen worse fly decent and you wont notice it at 300 ft.. Won't be a contest winner all the time, but the people you would be going against aren't that much better fliers, just deeper pockets