Altitude Hobbies Power Pack Discussion/Suggestion Thread

Garret H

Altitude Hobbies, Owner
Hey guys, Garret from Altitude Hobbies here. I just wanted to stop in and say thank you to everyone here who has made the power pack combos from our store so popular over the last year. We sell a huge amount of these packs for FT's awesome builds, and we really appreciate the business. I also wanted to start a thread (which I should have done a long time ago) for you guys to discuss our power packs in one place and give us suggestions on ways to improve them. Or, you can also contact us here about issues you may be having.

Lastly, I just want to say that we have had some issues keeping these packs in stock recently and many people have unfortunately had to wait quite some time to get their parts. I want to apologize for this; the issues recently were caused by several lost and delayed shipments coming from China, some of which took over a month to receive. We've since gotten a HUGE amount of stock in and are working hard to maintain these stocks levels so that the kits will be available as continuously as possible. Also, stay tuned as we're working on a power pack for the Mighty Mini series which should be available soon!

Garret @ Altitude

Garret H

Altitude Hobbies, Owner
Code:
any idea on what size motor the mini's are going to use?

We actually just sent some stuff off to FT today for testing but we are looking right now at the Suppo 1510 motor which is very popular. But, we are open to suggestions from folks. We can also get DYS 1806 motors which have been popular for the 250 quads if people would prefer those.

Garret

Fyathyrio

Code:

We actually just sent some stuff off to FT today for testing but we are looking right now at the Suppo 1510 motor which is very popular. But, we are open to suggestions from folks. We can also get DYS 1806 motors which have been popular for the 250 quads if people would prefer those.

Garret

That's the motor I'm planning to use since it's what I have laying around, likely with an HQ 5045 bullnose prop. I'll be sure to post up my results. Just got my Storch power pack from you guys the other day, hopefully I'll get a chance to put it all together this weekend. Quick service and great prices, thanks! :)

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I love my Suppo motors. The only thing I'm a little suspicious of is the propeller mounting thingie, but I didn't have problems with that yet either. Other than that they seem to be a quality product.

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
Balu
I have a number of the suppo motors and the prop adapters work fine just make sure they are very tight. I have one that didn't want to tighten up and I found some slag in one of the slots and had to clean it out then added a washer behind the prop and it works like it is suppose to now.

Garret H

Altitude Hobbies, Owner
Glad to hear, guys, thanks so much for the support and feedback. We've been extremely happy with the Suppo product which is why we have sold it for several years now. The collet adapters are about the only thing I get occasional negative comments about on these motors; however, the collets seem to be very secure, and in fact, I don't think I've ever gotten a complaint about them failing or causing issue. Nevertheless, I've been nagging Suppo for 3 years now to make a bolt-on adapter option. Suppo sent me an email last week that hinted at the fact they make finally be taking our advice...keeping our fingers crossed.

Garret

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
*cue finger breaking sound* That's great to hear! :)

I've tried to replace the "fastening" part of the collets with a lock nut because that would be easier to tighten on the field. The problem was that the whole collet started turning around the shaft the because of the friction of that locking silicone (or whatever it is in lock nuts).

I didn't have any problems yet either, since I always check before I go out and fly. It's just that it doesn't "feel" right somehow.

Garret H

Altitude Hobbies, Owner
*cue finger breaking sound* That's great to hear! :)

I've tried to replace the "fastening" part of the collets with a lock nut because that would be easier to tighten on the field. The problem was that the whole collet started turning around the shaft the because of the friction of that locking silicone (or whatever it is in lock nuts).

I didn't have any problems yet either, since I always check before I go out and fly. It's just that it doesn't "feel" right somehow.

Suppo just released new "M" series multicopter motors in 1806, 2208, and 2212 sizes which feature a solid adapter attached to the motor casing, so I'm hopeful they will start integrating this into their regular motors soon. We're workin' hard on 'em!

Garret

Fyathyrio

I did some thrust and power testing today...

OK, trying to determine what parts to use to make the power train out of stuff I have laying around so I can save some $$. This will be my first plane so I'll want trainer style characteristics and would prefer longer flights too...but I don't want it to be a total dog in the air either. I'm experienced with quads and I understand that's completely different. I've tried searching but I've come up with conflicting info. With quads, we're not happy unless we have at least a 4:1 thrust:weight ratio, but I suspect that's a bit high for an airplane! :) So, I've done some bench testing to see what I have...

Planning on 2S, I don't think I need 3S as lighter=better with this airplane I suspect. I'm hoping to learn more about how to determine my needs, rather than just be told what to use so I can use that knowledge in the future as I grow into larger planes. Weight with cell should be approximately 170g +/- 5g depending on motor choice and how much glue I end up globbing on.

Motor--------prop--------watts-----current-----max static thrust
RCX 1804----GF 5030-----33w-------3.9a-------190g
-------------HQ 6030-----38w-------4.6a-------220g

DYS 1806----GF 5030-----37w-------4.5a-------209g
-------------HQ 5040-----46w-------5.6a-------225g
-------------HQ 6030-----46w-------5.6a-------260g
-------------HQ 5045-----62w-------7.7a-------250g
------------GWS 5043----49w-------6.1a-------243g
------------GWS 6030----51w-------6.3a-------288g

I couldn't test the GWS, HQ5040 and 5045 props on the reverse threaded RCX 1804 motor, I'll update when the CCW ones arrive.

All of the above combos are above 1:1 static thrust to weight, but I believe there's other factors that I'm trying to learn, such as how screw pitch affects performance.

So, on the DYS 1806 the 5030 and 6030 have 5.6g thrust/watt, and would both result in a relatively slow plane, correct?

The RCX with 6030 comes out to 5.8g thrust/watt, seems like that may be more economical power wise, but will it fly OK?

Any help you can provide to assist me in sorting out the above numbers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Mark

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
wisenburger
motor mounts almost never line up with the holes in the motor mount so just line it up so it is centered and screw it down.
I never get mounting screws that go from the motor mount to the fire wall with my motors I get the screws that hold the mount to the motor so I go to the hardware store and get my screws to mount them.

Maingear

Flugzeug Liebhaber
I ordered new shafts for my Suppos and other motors from Altitude Hobbies. The crashed motors have been given a second chance!

Very happy with your products and ability to return phone calls.

Justin

MitchO

Does the FT RotorBones power Pack work well with the electro hub and the knuckle? I am a bit thrown by the numbers.