altitude hold on H-quad

capkill

Hello,
This may be a dumb question. :p
I've started building a H-quad from the Flitetest scratch build video. I've ordered 2 controller boards from HK
1x i86 and 1x HobbyKing Multi-Rotor Control Board V2.1.

I want to lock the copter in the air by an altitude switch on my radio. How do i do this...? can i use one of the control boards i have, or do i need a new setup. i guess i need a GPS of some sort, so the h-quad knows were it is, but how do you set it up...?

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I don't think you will accomplish an altitude hold with the cheaper controllers without a skilled thumb. You need a ArduPilot Mega (APM2), Wii, DJI or similar. GPS is not necessary for altitude hold if the controller has a barometric pressure sensor but it improves accuracy. The APM2 has both and can support a sonar sensor as well. The APM2 is about $200 though. DJI NAZA is nearly $400 with GPS.

Thurmond

capkill

I don't think you will accomplish an altitude hold with the cheaper controllers without a skilled thumb. You need a ArduPilot Mega (APM2), Wii, DJI or similar. GPS is not necessary for altitude hold if the controller has a barometric pressure sensor but it improves accuracy. The APM2 has both and can support a sonar sensor as well. The APM2 is about $200 though. DJI NAZA is nearly $400 with GPS.

Thurmond

Thanks.
I have seen the dji naza controller on sale here in Norway, and it was a bit too pricey. Since this is my first quad, i'll stick with the cheap HK controller.

capkill

If you did not want to spend that much then try one of these board which have barometric sensor, accelerometers and compass, only $38
http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=761&productname=

You will need an ftdi programmer as well and be able to load up the multiwii 2.1 firmware. If you want gps for position hold and return to home then rc timer also has The gps and i2c board for another $32

Thanks for that info... i'll sure order.. Have you tried out this gear before...?

UndCon

UndCon
I use MultiWii and with a barometer it could hold within 0.5 meter but it is rare (depends of the resolution of the baro)

//UndCon

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
I guess the cheapest solution would be MultiWii. It is an comparably easy way of just connecting some sensors together with a CPU and that´s basically it.

jbalatutube

Thanks for that info... i'll sure order.. Have you tried out this gear before...?
I have that board without gps but my Tricopter platform is giving me troubles at the moment so I'm unable to test.
I'm building a h-quad with new motors and escs so hope to have something in the air this time next week.

Looking at the response of the baro on the screen it's looking like a 1m accuracy but that will also depend on your pid tuning and perhaps the weather at the time ??

You can also integrate sonar sensors for better accuracy but this reminds me too much of the ardrone I used to have