Altitude/Variometer/Barometric OSD

royp

Is there a simple and inexpensive way to get altitude to show up as an OSD in an FPV Monitor/HMD, without having to use a Flight Controller? This would be for fixed wing FPV. Something based on a high quality barometer. Something like this which is no longer available. Perhaps something using a MinimOSD? Thanks.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
You can do this "cheap" with a flight controller, and you don't need to hook it to anything but the video feed if you don't want to. Something like this:
http://www.readytoflyquads.com/omnibus-f4-nano-v6-flight-controller

Has the Baro built right in, and you can use any of the *flight variants of firmware. MUCH simpler than trying to rig something up with a MinimOSD. You could even use iNav on it to control your flyer.

Cheers!
LitterBug

royp

LitterBug: Thanks for the info. Seems like overkill to have to put in an FC just to get an altitude OSD, but that may be the only option. By the way, the Barometric OSD linked to above (which also provides battery and timer) actually is still available. It's perfect for my needs. Self zeroing, self timing, 1 meter resolution, etc. However it costs $75 to get one here in the USA. GetFPV said they didn't have a device like this, but wished they did. My opinion is that if you could get this for under $30 here in USA, they would sell gobs of them. The idea of running a altitude sensor through a $7 MinimOSD seems doable but for the inability to find a compatible altitude/barometric sensor.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
But why spend 80-90 bucks and have to engineer software for something that can be done with a <$30 FC? That seems like overkill to me.... \o/

Cheers,
LitterBug

royp

Yes, the price is totally non competitive. But the device is completely plug-n-play -- no software/setup/tweaking required. A very simple and easy to implement solution to getting altitude, battery, and time info on your OSD. But unless it's under $30 USA price it's a non-starter.