Alula in Foamboard

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Would 5g servos work for the 1.2? I have 9g servos, but my 5g's are higher quality.
The 5 gram servos are at their limit of abilities when the wind gets right up but then I used the cheap and nasty servos. Consider the servos are JUST adequate unless you are looking at really strong winds. Just ensure that the hinges are as free as possible and you should be OK.

Have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I will stay watching this thread to see what other designs and versions arise along with any new techniques but I will transfer my build to new threads called building a Kulula for the 3mm FB version and Building the Kelula for the standard FB thickness but the 1200 mm Version.

Feel free to post your own versions as you see fit.

Have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Good work Hai-lee.
I just set dihedral in mine, and now I have the kind of flight I was hoping for.
Actually I ended up motorising mine and added a couple of degrees of dihedral myself.

Sadly the Elevons were far to large in area and it was a rollercoaster before I turned them right down.

Stated a double sized version but COVID got in the way and it is still sitting here half finished:rolleyes:. In the meantime I have got the seaplane/flying boat bug.

Your effort looks well thought out and one I have added to my extensive build list, (for when I get back to dry land that is).

Nice work!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Yours Too. I thought the same thing when I saw yours.. "Wow, were doing almost the same thing". I have some tweaking to do to my plans.or install a skewer in the spar.

How many did you end up making? looked like 5 or 6?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Yours Too. I thought the same thing when I saw yours.. "Wow, were doing almost the same thing". I have some tweaking to do to my plans.or install a skewer in the spar.

How many did you end up making? looked like 5 or 6?
I ended up making 6, 4 of which are still with me. I build a number of each design I do and when all is sorted I make all the required changes, (retrospectively), and then gift them away!

Sadly one of them has a thinner wing profile than the others and so it will remain as the high speed version until it is either crashed or I get bored with it!

Now even thinking of adding floats to see what happens:unsure: but then either the floats or the bird itself will require a functional rudder for take off!

Getting the enjoyment back slowly!

Starting to have fun again!