Aluminium fixed wing, with fpv?

Skiflier

Hey flite test community,
So I was thinking about constructing a plane using very thin aluminum sheet for the wings, welded (TIG) together in an aerofoil shape.

Now my question is will having the aircraft being composed of so much metal interfere with my FPV signal? Is that something I need to be worried about or is it not likely to cause many issues? I was thinking about flying out to about 1 km with a 600mw transmitter. Would that work?

quorneng

Master member
Anything that conducts electricity, even carbon fibre, interferes with radio signals. How much depend on their size, orientation and the location of the aerials on the plane. An aluminium wing is quite a bit object!

Skiflier

Anything that conducts electricity, even carbon fibre, interferes with radio signals. How much depend on their size, orientation and the location of the aerials on the plane. An aluminium wing is quite a bit object!
Hmm, so what would you suggest? I'd love to use aluminum, to make it nice and Durable but still lightweight.

quorneng

Master member
Skiflier
It is perhaps worth noting that aluminium only becomes a viable plane air frame building material on quite large full size planes and then only as a high strength alloy. It is really poor choice as a load bearing material on models unless there is some over condition where its weight is acceptable.

Skiflier

Skiflier
It is perhaps worth noting that aluminium only becomes a viable plane air frame building material on quite large full size planes and then only as a high strength alloy. It is really poor choice as a load bearing material on models unless there is some over condition where its weight is acceptable.
Thanks a lot for your advice! I'll use fiberglass and foam instead :)