Aluminium resource

English Bob

Hi folks... I'd love to see a P51 Mustang or hey any shiny plane, lol Done with aluminium soda cans used. They are lovely and shiny, light and plentiful. I will try it myself soon for a glider but an electric one would be amazing...... As for a challenge structure my best idea is to make it a bomber (Flying-fortress?) and have it use full soda cans. That has to be fun. And shiny.... rEEEEally shiny.... :D In fact.... get some stainless steel polish like Hypen on the job and shine that thing up like a mirror. Easily done with Hyphen and a spinning polish mop. Even improvised stuff will make it mirror finish really quickly with that stuff.....

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Hi folks... I'd love to see a P51 Mustang or hey any shiny plane, lol Done with aluminium soda cans used. They are lovely and shiny, light and plentiful. I will try it myself soon for a glider but an electric one would be amazing...... As for a challenge structure my best idea is to make it a bomber (Flying-fortress?) and have it use full soda cans. That has to be fun. And shiny.... rEEEEally shiny.... :D In fact.... get some stainless steel polish like Hypen on the job and shine that thing up like a mirror. Easily done with Hyphen and a spinning polish mop. Even improvised stuff will make it mirror finish really quickly with that stuff.....
I remember an attempt or 2 at the all metal plane, (from cans or the like) but sadly most just seem to fade away mostly due to signal blocking qualities of the metal structure.

If you are keen to try it then you could build a standard FB model and cover it in aluminium foil and then polish it! You can evaluate IF the signal to the Rx is adversely effected on a platform that has far less construction effort involved!

Just a thought!

Have fun!

English Bob

I remember an attempt or 2 at the all metal plane, (from cans or the like) but sadly most just seem to fade away mostly due to signal blocking qualities of the metal structure.

If you are keen to try it then you could build a standard FB model and cover it in aluminium foil and then polish it! You can evaluate IF the signal to the Rx is adversely effected on a platform that has far less construction effort involved!

Just a thought!

Have fun!
Well now there's something I didn't think of....Ah. lol

L Edge

Master member
In the old days, they made a monocote covering that looked like shiny aluminum and looked real nice. A club member did a B-25 and it look so real. No wrinkles at all.

English Bob

I sometimes spray my boomerangs with a mirror finish spray paint that's brilliant but I'm betting it's still metallic....

BorisTheSpider

Just a thought!

Have fun!

There is also the option of using mylar as a covering. I've salvaged a few mylar balloons in case I want to turn them inside out and cover some parts here and there, but haven't played with it yet. It's quite shiny and lightweight.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
There is also the option of using mylar as a covering. I've salvaged a few mylar balloons in case I want to turn them inside out and cover some parts here and there, but haven't played with it yet. It's quite shiny and lightweight.
I tried an aluminium based chrome paint what was extremely chrome like but it gave me all sorts of Rx problems and LOS events. Now I use covering film in silver if I need that in the colour scheme!

Just my experience!

Have fun!