always crashing,how about you?

Winston1203

I've had my scout for around a few weeks now and it's already been beaten into a pulp, I've had my "maiden" which lasted less than 10 seconds, and whenever I attempt to fly it it's gone into a nose dive every single time even though the center of gravity is stable and has been checked, and my plane's weight is now more tape and glue than foam and electronics. Did this ever happen to you when u first started? pls, share ur experiences.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
It took me a lot of crashes before I could fly for more than a minute at a time. First several flying sessions never lasted more than 30 seconds a flight - most were more like 10. I actually buddy boxed on a friend's glider and that helped a lot. Then I built the Old Speedster and flew it on a B pack and a 2s lipo. That thing flew Soooo slow and I was able to control it. I still crashed that a bit and then once I could fly that for a few minutes at a time I built a scout and flew that to pieces! Keep at it and you'll get the hang of it!

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
I crashed 3-4 times when I was learning but that was before computers and flight sims

I sent my grandsons Realflight, the flight simulator with their radio and FT foam board plane kits, they did all their crashing on the computer and fly versa wings now

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Welcome to the hobby my friend. I went through model after model until i found one that finally clicked for me. I crashed to many planes to list. I got to the point that the building was so satisfying but the flying part was so frustrating. Planes like the Storch, SE5, Mini Sportster, all barely had any flight time and racked up some serious build and fix it time. Wasn't until i found the Mini Scout did i get used to flying. Then I took off with the Simple Scout, Spitfire, and the prop n slot jets. I also had issues with loss of signal and brown outs a lot. Add all that up in just over a year of my hobby life and think of building over 40 planes. Now yes I might be nuts but i love to build, modify and design my own. I have made up to 4 versions of the same plane over and over again.

You my friend are right in the same boat as a good number of us. Some take to it easy and some don't. Some fly better then they build, others like myself build better then they fly. Always learning though so it never gets boring. Keep at it my friend, get some sim time in maybe, or just keep building new ones, try different designs until it clicks. The Scouts are always my go to, some preach the Tiny Trainer, everyone has there first, the one that makes a pilot out of them. You got this bro

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I've had my scout for around a few weeks now and it's already been beaten into a pulp, I've had my "maiden" which lasted less than 10 seconds, and whenever I attempt to fly it it's gone into a nose dive every single time even though the center of gravity is stable and has been checked, and my plane's weight is now more tape and glue than foam and electronics. Did this ever happen to you when u first started? pls, share ur experiences.
It happened to me when I forgot to screw on my servo arms. Also, does it arc into a nose dive, or pitch down sharply? If it arcs, it may be that a linkage stopper isn't tight, and at speed mah be losing grip causing the plane to do what it wants. It's happened to me on my Assassin flying wing, and it was pretty scary seeing a crazy fast wing slowly turn towards me and not be able to stop it 😅
EDIT: did you do a range check, because if it is happening at about the same distance a loss of signal might be your culprit.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Sadly, it's just part of the learning curve. That's why I advise everyone to start with something ugly and simple which you don't have much sentimental or monetary value invested in. At least you aren't flying helis :ROFLMAO:

I think the first RC flight I ever had lasted about 2 seconds. I remember it well - I was 10 years old and had just gotten a brand new, just-released (at the time) Hobbyzone Champ and spent the better part of the next couple of days just trying to complete a full circle in my front yard. There were many, many crashes involved, but no tears were shed, for a good reason - paired with a grass field the thing pretty much took no damage whatsoever and I was able to keep flying for a long time without having to do anything to it. When I did eventually break the wing all I did was slap some tape on it and it was good as new. That right there is pretty much the reason I've stayed in the hobby as long as I have - had I gotten some sort of other airplane like a larger balsa or even foam airplane capable of much more significant speed, it probably would've gotten smashed into a million pieces on it's maiden and I would have thought "man this is a stupid hobby, why'd I bother?" and I wouldn't be here talking to you right now.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Sadly, it's just part of the learning curve. That's why I advise everyone to start with something ugly and simple which you don't have much sentimental or monetary value invested in. At least you aren't flying helis :ROFLMAO:

I think the first RC flight I ever had lasted about 2 seconds. I remember it well - I was 10 years old and had just gotten a brand new, just-released (at the time) Hobbyzone Champ and spent the better part of the next couple of days just trying to complete a full circle in my front yard. There were many, many crashes involved, but no tears were shed, for a good reason - paired with a grass field the thing pretty much took no damage whatsoever and I was able to keep flying for a long time without having to do anything to it. When I did eventually break the wing all I did was slap some tape on it and it was good as new. That right there is pretty much the reason I've stayed in the hobby as long as I have - had I gotten some sort of other airplane like a larger balsa or even foam airplane capable of much more significant speed, it probably would've gotten smashed into a million pieces on it's maiden and I would have thought "man this is a stupid hobby, why'd I bother?" and I wouldn't be here talking to you right now.
The champ came out 9 years ago - wow! It's sure been a staple though - it really defines "UMX".

shadeyB

Legendary member
Winston.
If you can’t do inverted flat spins on your maiden then as an rc pilot you just can’t cut it, give it up pal before it’s too late, its not worth it explaining to the family why your spending more money, buying new planes and parts.
Then you’ll want to buy a bigger house with larger garage and spare rooms just so you can turn them into hangars for your planes
if you do stick with it don’t ever try to use the dining room table to , paint, build or hot glue planes on. It’s never accepted very well.
this will be forever an expensive hobby Fought with danger And tears
oh and then you’ll get to know pilots on here and start building your own thinking I’m a master at this hobby only to find out you still have no idea what, Vm, Kv, mAh, c rating really mean or understand anything more than what the sticks do on your controller
p.s. I hear people calling them ”radio’s” 😂 don’t listen to them ..... you hear music from a radio..... all I hear from mine is strange beeping noises
anyhow I never crash planes
good luck with whatever path you choose, I’m sure you will be very successful

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I've been flying 25 years, if your not crashing, your just not trying hard enough.

If you want to build a hanger quean and fly circles in the sky, then you can reach a point that you will seldom crash. If that is your thing, great, I have great affirmation for your building skills. Your planes will look better than mine. I would rather expand my flying skill envelope and see what else I can make the plane do. In the process, I will destroy 3-4 planes a year.

Over the years I've had some spectacular crashes, I'm glad I got to share them with people who I can call friends. They have returned the favor and had some great crashes as well. It's always more fun to fly with a friend.

Last edited:

"Corpse"

Legendary member
Yep! I had a mini super cub from hobbyzone when I started. It definitely takes some practice for it to "Click", but once it does you'll be a much better pilot.
(I actually crashed into a telephone wire and cut the wing off. You're not alone!);)

Innaviation

I know lots of people have already said this, but I used to have very similar experiences. A few of my best/worst crashes include crashing straight in a school dumpster and shredding a plane right through a tree. Soon though, you'll regard crashing as a thing of the past :)

TDL

First off, your simple scout maybe is too heavy now and has twisted wings, it’s time for a new airframe. Second, Real flight helped my tremendously especially on learning “flying toward myself” position. Also, it took a a long while to get my space perception right. For the first year, a tree or a electric pole always jumped in front of my planes, and I am still hitting the lone monkey bar in the middle of the school yard. Crashing is just part of the game!

Bricks

Master member
I've been flying 25 years, if your not crashing, your just not trying hard enough.

If you want to build a hanger quean and fly circles in the sky, then you can reach a point that you will seldom crash. If that is your thing, great, I have great affirmation for your building skills. Your planes will look better than mine. I would rather expand my flying skill envelope and see what else I can make the plane do. In the process, I will destroy 3-4 planes a year.

Over the years I've had some spectacular crashes, I'm glad I got to share them with people who I can call friends. They have returned the favor and had some great crashes as well. It's always more fun to fly with a friend.

If you are only destroying 3-4 planes a year you are not flying low enough, ( just a joke ) that is where my problem comes in. Can not stand to fly high doing loops and rolls or what ever if the ground is not involved, in close proximity it just does not get the heart rate and knees shaking enough. Granted I do have a couple of planes I do not temp fate with but those cannot be replaced as they do not make them any more.

Jackson T

Elite member
I started with a Hobbyzone Super Cub S, and on the maiden flight I flew it into a fence! It took me a year to get the hang of flying, even with gyro assisted flight. My first DIY plane, an FT Mini Sportster, was destroyed over two maiden attempts, where I didn't realise the elevator was reversed :eek:. Crashing can sometimes be hard to get back up from and try again, but if you stick with it, you'll get there!

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I am down 2 planes in 2 months... and that is because it has been easy to rebuild/repair most of the damage, else that number would be higher.

Indy durtdigger

Elite member
Well, many of us are in the same boat. I was on my last battery pack. The one minute timer went off so I did what was supposed to be a sweet roll to come in for a landing and forgot I had my low rates on. End result was not enough elevator to pull out of the maneuver and another prop bites the dust. Some tape and glue and glue and my favorite plane will be up again this weekend weather permitting.
20200522_195819.jpg
20200522_195815.jpg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Well, many of us are in the same boat. I was on my last battery pack. The one minute timer went off so I did what was supposed to be a sweet roll to come in for a landing and forgot I had my low rates on. End result was not enough elevator to pull out of the maneuver and another prop bites the dust. Some tape and glue and glue and my favorite plane will be up again this weekend weather permitting.
View attachment 169716 View attachment 169717
I really need to build a Mig - they seem like such amazing airplanes!