always crashing,how about you?

stew64

I have just started the hobby in march this year and have crashed so many expensive foam planes before discovering how safe works on eflite spektrum planes and then discovering flitetest to learn without safe. I built the ft explorer which flys well and then the bushwhacker which flew great until the electronics gave out as they were just used from another wrecked model. Next up was the ft storch and it was great until it hit a light pole. I just keep trying and rebuilding. I have had many great flights with the safe technology planes but still have crashes. Next up is scratch building some of the ft planes, bushwhacker, commuter, sportster, and scout.

"Corpse"

Legendary member
I have just started the hobby in march this year and have crashed so many expensive foam planes before discovering how safe works on eflite spektrum planes and then discovering flitetest to learn without safe. I built the ft explorer which flys well and then the bushwhacker which flew great until the electronics gave out as they were just used from another wrecked model. Next up was the ft storch and it was great until it hit a light pole. I just keep trying and rebuilding. I have had many great flights with the safe technology planes but still have crashes. Next up is scratch building some of the ft planes, bushwhacker, commuter, sportster, and scout.
Build, Fly, Crash, Repeat! Try to crash less every time you go through the cycle, and try to become a better pilot!

stew64

Build, Fly, Crash, Repeat! Try to crash less every time you go through the cycle, and try to become a better pilot!
so far that has been the routine, just flew aeroscout and valiant for full battery runs tonight and cherokee and air tractor the same yesterday. The FT planes are needing rebuild time except the explorer. The bushwhacker is mostly glue and tape now. The FT planes make you feel like you can fly and want to keep trying to be a better pilot.

"Corpse"

Legendary member
so far that has been the routine, just flew aeroscout and valiant for full battery runs tonight and cherokee and air tractor the same yesterday. The FT planes are needing rebuild time except the explorer. The bushwhacker is mostly glue and tape now. The FT planes make you feel like you can fly and want to keep trying to be a better pilot.
I loved the valiant! I learned how to do all my aerobatics on that plane. It's a hoot to fly!

K3V0

Elite member
Sooooo many crashes and wrecked planes!😆
5AD5538E-CD6B-47E7-92BF-55FAB377D8FC.jpeg
I went through 6 mini scouts before I even began to feel comfortable. I’ve been working my way through the FT planes and have found a few favorites. The mini scout of course, but also the storch, and the bushwhacker for sure! I Bonked my BW kinda hard last week so I’ve put her motor and electronics back into my Mig!
A36C5EB6-2BBE-4D81-82DA-C4F39D784E51.jpeg
66B1A55B-1BB4-4DAB-A1E9-D8D757B978A6.jpeg
I am pumped to fly her again! But I’m pretty sure I’m going to at least break the LG again.

CustomRCMods

Elite member
In my opinion, if you aren’t crashing, you aren’t learning, and to some extent having fun. I feel like if every one of my flights went exactly to plan, my interest in this hobby would plateau. Tonight I crashed my RMRC Recruit pretty hard, it was a little tailheavy. damages included foam work but also it ripped the Servo pins clean off my FC. I’ve direct soldered the wires on now, and am troubleshooting a few small problems, but it has given me a lot of good insight on connections to a fc and mounting and how all that works, an experience I never would have gotten without the crash first. I always learn something when a plane goes down, and yeah it stings, But I come out on the other end learning something new.

CustomRCMods

Elite member
Another note - you are never really going to “graduate” from crashing. You may crash less, but crashing is part of this hobby. The nice thing about building with foam is that it minimizes tears and maximizes fun.... think of it if you crashed a balsa plane with months or even years of work into it! Not a knock on balsa by any means but FB planes are so good at what they do, and also being super cheap!

bracesport

Legendary member
After a good year I am still a novice, but I found throwing a precious home built glider off of a 50m cliff sharpened my focus! I still crash, I still build, and I still fly!

Get a mentor, it really helps the most! :D

LeeBee71

I've had my scout for around a few weeks now and it's already been beaten into a pulp, I've had my "maiden" which lasted less than 10 seconds, and whenever I attempt to fly it it's gone into a nose dive every single time even though the center of gravity is stable and has been checked, and my plane's weight is now more tape and glue than foam and electronics. Did this ever happen to you when u first started? pls, share ur experiences.

OMG YES. I used to fly ultralights and I thought the shift to RC flying would be a piece of cake. WRONG! Not having your backside in the seat and being able to visually sight the horizon above your dashboard makes all the difference in the world.

I have bought the RF9 simulator, which I can operate on my laptop with my DX6 transmitter and the Spektrum WS2000 dongle and I am learning about using subtle inputs from transmitter. I have put in lots of practice doing circuits just as you would if you were piloting a full scale aircraft. I can now land consistently with the "aircraft" coming towards me allowing for the reversal effect without even thinking about it now.

I've repaired my Cub and I'll be heading out to the field as soon as I can to try to duplicate what I've been doing on the simulator... fingers crossed!

LeeBee71

First off, your simple scout maybe is too heavy now and has twisted wings, it’s time for a new airframe. Second, Real flight helped my tremendously especially on learning “flying toward myself” position. Also, it took a a long while to get my space perception right. For the first year, a tree or a electric pole always jumped in front of my planes, and I am still hitting the lone monkey bar in the middle of the school yard. Crashing is just part of the game!

I'm still having problems with the depth perception thing too

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I have so much fun with my champ to this day even as a beginner plane. what a rockstar!
Oh yeah - it’s a rockstar for sure! I need to go in and re-solder some joints where I added the lights since last flight something disconnected and I crashed it into a bush. Thankfully it wasn’t i to my neighbor’s yard since it was like midnight and I’d have to wait till the next day to get it lol.

CustomRCMods

Elite member
Oh yeah - it’s a rockstar for sure! I need to go in and re-solder some joints where I added the lights since last flight something disconnected and I crashed it into a bush. Thankfully it wasn’t i to my neighbor’s yard since it was like midnight and I’d have to wait till the next day to get it lol.
my champ and sport cub s find their way into the big pine tree in my back yard far too often... I risk life and limb to get them out :)

TDL

my champ and sport cub s find their way into the big pine tree in my back yard far too often... I risk life and limb to get them out :)
Well, I once hired a climber to get my plane down from tree in the school yard next to my house..
The stupid story was, I finished one battery on my beloved Ultimate Biplane; found the motor was pretty hot, so I brought her back to the parking lot, Put her between the fence and my car to cool her down. I took out an ExtremeFlight MSX, plugged the battery in, walked over to the basketball court and took off right away. immediately I heard my wife screaming...., turned around and saw my Ultimate darted into to the fence, chewing up half of the prop and the motor mount, but the motor is still screaming as loud and my wife did.....I forgot to disconnect that battery on the Ultimate! I cut down the throttle try to do a dead stick on the MSX but it seemed to have interference on the RXs for both planes. MSX landed on a pine tree 30 ft above. I was worried about that 4s 3000 65C ThunderPower battery would catch fire during that hot summer day so had to spend $130 for bringing her down. That climber had a good laugh though.