Always Learning

N0cNoc

Yesterday I built my first Flitetest plane
An SE5 quickbuild kit
Took it out for its maiden when it was maybe a little too dark
But it flew, surprisingly well
There were also some problems I had noticed during the flight; mostly the throttle reaching max at 1/2 stick and the fact that I had 0 expo
These problems lead to me learning more about my radio and how to program it well
This afternoon I took it out for a second flight, with the throttle reigned in and expo and rates dialed much better
Again it flew wonderfully... until a gust of wind hit me in a turn and I realized I wasn’t two mistakes high...
The bottom right wing hit the ground pretty hard and snapped off
But if I’m being totally honest, I wasn’t upset. I was actually kind of happy
Every little thing in this hobby is a learning experience, which to me is a very fun and enjoyable thing

This post is kind of a mess
but i thought i’d share anyways
💜 thanks for reading💜

FDS

Elite member
You can fix that, the same happened to mine whilst I was trying to fly it inverted. If you need to open up the glue on the bottom wing mount then you can heat it up with a hairdryer until it softens then gently lift the broken parts out. I was able to bind my torn wing back together with a few bits of cocktail stick across the crack to make it stronger, with white high tack pva glue and a little hot glue to hold it together whilst it dried.
You can make a new wing pretty easily too.

N0cNoc

You can fix that, the same happened to mine whilst I was trying to fly it inverted. If you need to open up the glue on the bottom wing mount then you can heat it up with a hairdryer until it softens then gently lift the broken parts out. I was able to bind my torn wing back together with a few bits of cocktail stick across the crack to make it stronger, with white high tack pva glue and a little hot glue to hold it together whilst it dried.
You can make a new wing pretty easily too.
Thanks for the tip! I’ll have to try that

FDS

Elite member
Mine has had its wings ripped off twice, it’s a little heavier now but still flies ok.
It’s amazing what you can repair. I did this
12AA646A-DA72-4B42-A6FE-DD3CBA3C541F.jpeg
Which with a bit of tape and glue was returned to this-
BDABD46E-C2C4-4E61-B171-A54908AE58AC.jpeg

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
.... thats a thing? 😅
Yes, you need to calibrate your ESC. That is, show the ESC what full throttle and low throttle looks like. First take the prop off. Then turn on your Tx & move the throttle to high. Now plug in battery to the plane, wait for a beep, move the throttle to low, wait for the beep, then unplug the plane to get it out of calibration mode. Plug the plane back in and test the throttle.

N0cNoc

Yes, you need to calibrate your ESC. That is, show the ESC what full throttle and low throttle looks like. First take the prop off. Then turn on your Tx & move the throttle to high. Now plug in battery to the plane, wait for a beep, move the throttle to low, wait for the beep, then unplug the plane to get it out of calibration mode. Plug the plane back in and test the throttle.
Awesome, I will do that. Thanks for the help 💜

Hondo76251

Legendary member
This was one of my first FT builds, and still one of my favorite (Probably because i've got a thing for DeHavilland)

0506192128[1].jpg

Its been busted up so many times that it's amazing that it still flies! The right wing has been broken completely off at the motor, the fuselage bent at a 90 degree angle on the same crash. I've abandoned the landing gear long ago as there is no foam left in that area to even hold them in! (thats why the swapable power pack is held in with rubber bands now)

Luckily I painted it silver because now it hides all the duct tape, pop sickle sticks, and gobs of glue that hold it together!

My first 5 or 6 good crashes with it were me learning the importance of ESC programming (even more noticeable when you've got twin engines! :LOL:)

The crashing, learning, and fixing are part of why these are so fun!

Last edited:

mayan

Legendary member
I been flying my Mini Edge for the last month and crash it every time I go to the field. I still go home similing, because each time I go fly it I fly one second more.