am i nuts?

kilroy07

Legendary member
Well, yes... But it doesn't have anything to do with wanting a laser! :p

That looks to be a fair system.
You basically have two choices, a more expensive domestic product or a cheap (sometimes in both senses of the word) Chinese one. I'd have to know more about the software delivered with the one you listed, but all in all it does not seem to outrageous.

I went the Chinese route. Something like this (not this particular seller, but they all sell the same basic kit.)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Preci...:rEIAAOSwgmJXxPA7&_nkw=60w+laser+cutter&rt=nc
I notice now that "Free Shipping" does NOT include lift gate service... (that means that 400 pound box/pallet is just sitting on the back of a truck and either you get it off, or they will kick it off the back.) so be aware of the extra charge.

Also, I already have a water chiller... Yes, you can get away with a tub of water and ice packs... but seriously... We are talking a couple thousand dollars, spend the extra and get a chiller (it will make you tube last just that much longer.)

Software was the biggest challenge for me (NOT understanding, but working around it's limitations.) In CAD I have to drop (or explode) everything to primitives (basic lines, arcs) and export it to a DXF file to have any hope of it pulling in the graphics correctly. Having enough nodes on B-spline curves is an issue as well (text come in all wonky.)

That said, it's nearly A QUARTER of what you are seeing there. And after about a week of fiddling around I have a reliable system to import and cut (really, it's second nature now.)

The more expensive option most likely (although honestly I didn't dig too deeply) is going to be pretty much turn key and (should) have better software.

So, I guess what I am saying is either is a valid choice, just depending on your value of a little extra time and frustration.
I will say you will (have to) learn a lot going the cheaper route.

This guy did an amazing job at looking into the core mechanics of these Chinese machines, watch a couple videos and then decide.