AMA Poll about FPV

bmsweb

Site Moderator
I've just spent the last 3 hours trying to work out the law as it stands here in Australia and there are so many contradictions its mind blowing! I have a feeling in my case I'm going to stop flying FPV and start flying a "Small UAV" in which case I'm not in breach of any laws, so long as I stay under 400' and over unpopulated areas.

This is what I found:

7. UAV OPERATION OVER UNPOPULATED AREAS

7.1 Small UAVs

7.1.1 Provided that a small UAV is operated not above 400ft AGL and remains clear of designated airspace, aerodromes and populous areas, there are no restrictions imposed upon the operation of a small UAV. The operator is responsible for ensuring that the UAV is operated safely and remains clear of potential low level traffic, structures, powerlines etc, except where operation in close proximity is part of an operation authorised on the operator’s operating certificate. The operator should consider the benefit of a thorough reconnaissance of the proposed route beforehand.

7.1.2 Where a person wishes to operate a small UAV above 400ft AGL, that person must do so in accordance with conditions imposed by CASA. Such conditions may specify:
(a) maximum altitudes;
(b) communication requirements;
(c) operating times;
(d) operating area limitations;
(e) UAV equipment etc.