Amazon Cub Balsa kit questions

Bludworth

Has anyone assembled one of these and if so, how well did it go together? Pic below.
51oOy5PxryL._SL1000_.jpg

Turbojoe

Elite member
Without looking for the Amazon link I'm fairly certain this is one of those kits that Hobby King sells. Terrible instructions. Wood as heavy as oak and poor fit of just about everything. I bought the Cessna for a buddy to learn on. Came out so heavy I wouldn't waste covering on it. It ended up in the trash. I have a Little Bug (Blew Angel) kit from them that I can't even get the parts out of the plywood sheets it's so poorly cut. My advice is to avoid those HK type kits like the Coronavirus!

So many positive posts here for WillyNillies.com kits. I strongly suggest taking a look there instead.

Joe

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Honestly that looks like one of those Dancing Wings or Hobbyking kits. Usually, they end up being trash. There are a lot of companies that sell well made Cub kits, and while sure you might end up spending more money upfront, you will get a better airplane in the end.

These are a couple I put together. The left one is a kit from Hobbyking that required a lot of finagling to get flying good - but fly good it does. The instructions were straight up nonexistent and the fit and finish of the kit was... sub par (I ended up making most of the plywood parts myself because of the awful diecutting) and I would personally never buy another kit off of them again lol. The right one meanwhile is a discontinued 1/5 Great Planes kit and it went together near perfectly. No fuss at all. The dog I did not build.

P_20200216_171426.jpg

Turbojoe

Elite member
I have several Cubs in many sizes but my all time favorite is the one from Mountain Models. LINK It's available as a clipped wing and even a L-4 version. It's super light weight and amazing scale. It's not the cheapest kit and Brian can be slow to ship now but WOW is this an awesome plane! I have pictures of mine somewhere but just can't find them right now. Maybe time to drag mine out of the dungeon, dust her off and get her in the air again......

Joe