An electric Fun Fly in WI

frogman

I know there are lots of Wisconsin fans here cause I listened to the QA podcast from FliteFest and there were lots of questions from WI fans.

The Madison RC club is having an Electric Fly in September 13, 2014. I am planning to be there and would love to meet a bunch more FT fans from the area/state. I will have my FT-Spit, FT3D and my FT Flyer (gonna do the combat with that one...I have it way over powered :D). I will of course have other planes too but I love my FT planes the most.

They are also having a scale fly in the week before on 9/6. Since I have next to no scale planes I will just be there to hang out and watch.

I would love to see some from the FT Community there. I know a handful of people from the local club and LHS know about FT and love what they are doing.

Here's a link to their calendar of events page where you can find more information if interested.

http://www.marcswi.org/calendar-of-events

Hope to see some of you there.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I have very loose plans to go. I work every other weekend, I worked today, so if my math is right I should have that Saturday off.

I normally sleep until about 1pm, so we'll see if I can get my butt out of bed early enough to make it.

frogman

That would be awesome RCSPaceFlight. Would love to meet you. I will be the guy with the planes above plus I have a massive foam plane that carries a DSLR camera that will be there. I may have it for sale.

IMG_8199SMALL.jpg

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I had no idea that field was there! I work about a mile east of there on Hwy 12. I might have to add this one to my schedule!

frogman

I work in Sun Prairie and live in Stoughton. We should get together and fly sometime. One of my friends is VP of the local club. From what he tells me Dane County is kicking them out after this year and they are actively looking for a new place. This may be the last flyin at that field. I've been there a few times and it's a pretty nice little field.

Joker53150 if you want to get together and fly sometime let me know. Just shoot me a PM. Sounds like we are pretty close to one another. My boss also flies and lives here in Stoughton so we could get us a small group going if we want.

electricRC

HbbyFLyr
would be neat to go but pretty up in the air for me, that would be quite a drive to justify going. Maybe if it was all day, but only being till 3. I don't even have AMA card yet.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I work in Sun Prairie and live in Stoughton. We should get together and fly sometime. One of my friends is VP of the local club. From what he tells me Dane County is kicking them out after this year and they are actively looking for a new place. This may be the last flyin at that field. I've been there a few times and it's a pretty nice little field.

Joker53150 if you want to get together and fly sometime let me know. Just shoot me a PM. Sounds like we are pretty close to one another. My boss also flies and lives here in Stoughton so we could get us a small group going if we want.

I'd love to, but I'm only at the McFarland office one or two days per week at most, and in Whitewater the rest of the week. Often I don't know until the day before when I'll be in McF. I live in eastern Waukesha county so it's a long haul on those days in McFarland! Sadly, I now know of flying fields less than a mile from either of my offices but nothing close to my house!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
She wouldn't mind at all (usually). I just hate knowing I've got a 90 minute drive after working all day and playing with planes for a couple hours. I guess I'm getting old...!

rcspaceflight

I've been thinking about it, and I have no idea what I would bring. I don't want to show up with nothing. Which reminds me, I should buy some LiPo bags.

I'll probably just bring a Skymaster. I don't think the one I have now will last until then, so I'll make a new one. I got two 5.0A 3S batteries and a 2.2A 3S. I should get plenty of flight time out of that. And if I pre-maturely destroy my plane, that's fine too. I plan on mostly watching and hanging out. The thought of flying around people makes me nervous even though I'm at the point where I should fly fine without any embarrassing "oops".

Last time I flew I was actually practicing flying a pattern. Which was a first. :p

frogman

rcspaceflight....if you do make it you can be a spotter for me a few times. That way you can be involved a little if you want. There is one guy there that has a 15ft Jenny bi-plane that is amazing. If it's not too windy that day he will be flying it a few times. It is freakin' amazing. I got to be there for the maiden flight and even videotaped it for him since I do video for a living. The whole plane was built and maidened in 11 weeks. Pretty crazy. Here's the maiden video I made of it if you want to see what you may get to see.

www.frogmanproductions.com/video/JennyMaiden.wmv

rcspaceflight

I forgot you need a spotter. Although I doubt it's hard to find someone who is willing. Maybe I'll just bring myself since I've never been to an RC event before. But frogman, it sounds like a great idea to spot for you.

I still can't say I'll definitely be there. Sometimes things happen. But I do plan on going.

frogman

Hope you can make it rcspaceflight. Would be great to meet you. I can't wait to try combat at the event. I was going to fly my FT Flyer in the combat. I had it over motored and it was fast but the problem was I kept folding the wings. Last night I cut out a FT Bloody Wonder just for the combat. Its supposed to be a really fun plane according to other Bloody Wonder pilots. Something tells me I will like it a lot. I should get it together tonight. Then I have to build a new FT3D to replace the one I have beat the heck out of. I am hoping to get those both done by the time the fly in happens.

It's not an event on the scale of Flite Fest or SEFF. There will probably be about 30-40 pilots but there will be lots of cool planes. Some folks will bring 15-20 planes of their own. I will have 5 or 6.

electricRC

HbbyFLyr
from the sounds of it even if I do get there I won't be flying either. I only have about 20-30 minutes (can't remember how long first flight was) on my Duet and I think I may have put it out of commission this morning. I broke the fin off before, glued back on and flew it just this morning but didn't fly straight so I tore it back off but I think I may have weakened the tail. Doesn't help had a hard landing. Was flying off a basket ball court. now the rear tail is angled high side-to-side but is still attached. Now I really need to get the electronics to get my Flyer working.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Joker53150, I live in eastern waukesha too. What town do you live in? I've been looking for people to fly with.

Muskego. I often fly in the open field behind the new WalMart on Moorland Rd. Eventually I'll get around to joining the flying club in Whitewater, which is where I usually work. I've also considered the flying club in Franklin.

ExperimentalRC

Muskego. I often fly in the open field behind the new WalMart on Moorland Rd. Eventually I'll get around to joining the flying club in Whitewater, which is where I usually work. I've also considered the flying club in Franklin.

I live in Elm Grove and being in high school and all that jazz, i cant find any time to go to the park to fly, and my yard is only big enough for ultra micros. I have all of my planes fitted with floats and at my lakehouse in northern Wisconsin. Calling anyone else in the suburbs around Milwaukee!

frogman

Flying clubs are great but you don't have to be in one. I'm not a member of the club in Madison. Their flying field is about 20 minutes away from me. If I want to fly I don't want to drive 20 minutes to get there when I have great place to fly a few blocks from my house. I usually like to just get out and fly for 30-45 minutes after work before it gets dark. I don't have time to get down to the club field.

The electric fly in is open to anyone with an AMA card. No membership required. There are a few people that come from IL and other places besides just the local club members. The club members are pretty nice and the president even works part time at the LHS and knows all about FT and thinks they are great.

BTW....got my combat machine ready to maiden last night. The Bloody Wonder 2 is ready to rock in the combat event. I've never done combat but can't wait to try it.

20140828_211816_zpszyxrijtk.jpg