An Old Fart, venturing into the final frontier of RC!

kilroy07

Legendary member
After I posted, I remembered the packets of “cheese” and the sawdust crackers! Gawd that was awful! :sick:

I recall the peanut butter the worst (most effective?) in “stoppage effect” :LOL:

PoorManRC

Master member
After I posted, I remembered the packets of “cheese” and the sawdust crackers! Gawd that was awful! :sick:

I recall the peanut butter the worst (most effective?) in “stoppage effect” :LOL:

There was NEVER proof, that there were ANY Peanuts in the"Peanut Butter"!!
I did love all of the Fruit Syrups. I admit it!

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
In a way I admire the "Gun Culture you have in the US. Here guns are extremely difficult to obtain, (not that I want or need one). Here our police are heavily armed, all wear bullet vests and can kill, legally, anyone they "Feel" is a threat to them. I tell people who think of moving here that the "Lucky" country is really a dangerous place to live now!

I also admire the stand Trump has taken on the Fake news. In my days the media reported the news and did not try to make it!

OHHH! How times and the world have changed!

have fun!

I'm going to evade the political rant on Trump - long story short, I don't like the man and what he stands for. End of that, please don't try to change my mind, I'm just waiting for the day he's out of office.

At any rate, I saw a friend of mine had posted up the last time Walter Cronkite, who I believe was one of the last reputable news anchors (along with Dan Rather), had signed off. And just hearing him say, "And that's the way it is..." and knowing that he was...parodied? tributed? remembered? in cartoons long afterwards, made me wonder if kids even got the reference. He was just one of those voices that everyone hears and took for granted, like Dick Clark, or Casey Kasem.

Hai, I think there are pluses and minuses of EVERY country, and even the area, AND I think that some of it is fearmongering. For example, for a while I was TERRIFIED to travel to Australia. All I heard about was the spiders, the snakes, the sharks and reef fish, hell, even the platypus, that were poisonous or venemous and would try to kill you. Seemed like EVERYTHING there was dangerous.

Then I realized, "Well, people say the similar things about Southern California. We've got rattlesnakes, scorpions, black widow spiders, brown recluse spiders, crazy drivers, mountain lions, etc., but I've never really seen them 'in the wild', so to speak, to really have to worry." And after speaking with Australian natives, they said pretty much the same thing!

PoorManRC

Master member
I'm not going to DARE open up the Political can of worms!!!
However, I get what you're saying. People and sensibilities and shockingly different between Seattle and Phoenix, or any other corner of the U.S. ....
Many People in Boston seem to be under the impression that here in Tucson, we're all Gun Toting Cowboys, and completely Lawless!! Although most of us are carrying some kind of Heat (myself included), the rest... and even worse stereotypes, are completely FALSE! :ROFLMAO:

..... And one of these days, I've got to go to Australia. I've got the same impression, that it's full of everything that can Kill You!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Funnily enough we get a similar view of the US and its natural wildlife. Sure the snakes and spiders etc are the most venomous in the world but actually you have a greater risk of being fatally struck be lightning! Generally Aus is much like the US but generally warmer. The lifestyle and people are a little more laid back and less intense. We have social security, free healthcare.

Sure we drive on the wrong side of the road and a foreign Queen is our official head of state. As for Trump he has good and bad points and can be considered as a savior and evil incarnate all at the same time. That is no different to any other world leader BUT he unfortunately has greater military power under his control than has ever been seen in history.

A persons homeland is always the best place in the world to live and like many others I did my service to keep my country and people safe. As a place to live Aus is a great place as would be the US but here as there the politics and political climate are getting more toxic almost daily. Tourists generally love their time in Aus and MILLIONS survive the experience every year.

My rant was at the unarmed population being policed by some of the most heavily armed and belligerent police on the planet and the laws under which they operate, We do not have a bill of rights!

Have fun!

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
My rant was at the unarmed population being policed by some of the most heavily armed and belligerent police on the planet and the laws under which they operate, We do not have a bill of rights!

Have fun!

I know, I get that completely. :) And I hear about how guns taken away from Aussies have resulted in less gun related deaths, how Australia doesn't have any problems anymore, blah blah blah...To some extent, I say, "BULL." There's ALWAYS going to be problems with some of this, just because someone finds your happy whistling annoying, or that your drone is recording them walking down the street, or the noise from your plane is irritating to them, or you're having fun and they're not. :)

We've all got problems; maybe if the world just learned to fly planes, or shoot, even if they took to Mary Poppins and just went and flew kites, we'd be happier, right? :)

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I know, I get that completely. :) And I hear about how guns taken away from Aussies have resulted in less gun related deaths, how Australia doesn't have any problems anymore, blah blah blah...To some extent, I say, "BULL." There's ALWAYS going to be problems with some of this, just because someone finds your happy whistling annoying, or that your drone is recording them walking down the street, or the noise from your plane is irritating to them, or you're having fun and they're not. :)

We've all got problems; maybe if the world just learned to fly planes, or shoot, even if they took to Mary Poppins and just went and flew kites, we'd be happier, right? :)
I agree. If people had a decent hobby where they actually do something and not the current hobby that most have which is to watch and complain about others the world would be a nicer place to live!

As for guns, I remember the instruction given to the Marquis by British agents. If you want a gun find an armed German soldier, Kill him, and take his gun! Surely they can see that heavily armed police everywhere brings with it a risk of terrorists doing the same:rolleyes:. A case of being so ready to battle terrorism that they are actually becoming part of the problem.:eek:

PoorManRC

Master member
In the time that this thread has been running, I've built three planes and flown one already. Time to stop talking and go get some foam-board!

Sounds good to me!! Still waiting for a Hot Glue Gun... and a few small assorted bits. Otherwise.... I'm READY!!!!

d8veh

Elite member
Sounds good to me!! Still waiting for a Hot Glue Gun... and a few small assorted bits. Otherwise.... I'm READY!!!!
You don't need a glue gun to cut out foam shapes!
All the time with these planes is in marking out and cutting the shapes. Once you have them, the gluing takes no time at all.

Sorry to sound hard on you, but you need a bit of direction otherwise you'll be talking about it forever and the plane will never get built.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
You also don't need a glue gun to build and fly them. I found a glue that bonds the foam and paper extremely well and adds less weight than hot glue for the finished plane. When dry the foam and paper will fail elsewhere and the part in contact with the glue will still be intact.

See:- http://www.sullivans.net/proddetail.asp?ProdCode=49900 I use an Aussie equivalent or the exact same glue depending on what is available.

I actually use the same glue for those retail foamie repairs and even Balsa to Balsa joints. I use epoxy for gluing ply of course.

Just what works for me!

PoorManRC

Master member
OK..... I'm getting ta tracing, cutting and stacking!! :cool::)

@Hai-Lee - if I don't HAVE to use Hot Glue.... Frankly I'd rather NOT!! I've never heard of that Product. That doesn't mean that it's not sold in the US, just that I've never seen it.

Would something like Elmer's Wood Glue work? I just don't care if I've got to wait for Adhesives to dry!! I want my first Aircraft to be strong and as light as possible.
ANY suggestions that I can get at Wally World or a Dollar Store would be greatly appreciated. ;)

As we used to say "IT'S GO TIME!!!"

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor

@Hai-Lee - if I don't HAVE to use Hot Glue.... Frankly I'd rather NOT!! I've never heard of that Product. That doesn't mean that it's not sold in the US, just that I've never seen it.

Would something like Elmer's Wood Glue work? I just don't care if I've got to wait for Adhesives to dry!! I want my first Aircraft to be strong and as light as possible.
ANY suggestions that I can get at Wally World or a Dollar Store would be greatly appreciated. ;)

Gorilla glue - white gorilla glue if you can find it (foams a little less).

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT

You can use almost any foam safe glue you want but I save my white glue for coating FB to make it into very rigid boards before painting.

Here the heat and humidity can effect any water based glue so I do not risk it, especially as my FB models can almost become waterlogged after a mornings flying with the heavy dew we get.

The glue I listed is a simple and very cheap graft glue which is not water based, dries to a rock like consistency and grabs the foam/paper/balsa and never lets go! It won't dry if isolated from the air, (the solvent won't evaporate). I even get club members seeking information of my "Special" glue and they are disappointed at how really cheap it is. Half my club now carry a stock of the same or equivalent glue and those horrible discolored scars from repairs are becoming a thing of the past.

The glue itself is easiest found in craft shops or outlets and is classified as a clear foam safe craft glue. There are a number of manufacturers, I posted the sullivans brand because it is headquartered in the US and so is definitely available there somewhere.

have fun!

PoorManRC

Master member
@Hai-Lee - thanks Mate!! It's probably sold here, I've just not seen it yet. But then, I haven't looked either! :p
Here...... 12% humidity is a DAMP day!! So that's in my favor.

Antioch

Well as a Canadian yep best to stay away from the politics.. (we certainly have our share of all types of politicians...but we cannot forget it comes in two official languages 😀) So tomorrow the US midterms will happen & we then we will all move on.

Now on to the building...I started with our old glue gun, only to find it was less then useful...and the glue sticks sitting around were even worse. So I bought a decent dual temp gun & found some sticks that don't dry almost instantly. The first batch of foam didn't last long ( a trainer) but haven't started that yet (amazing how you can cut the wrong way)...so not wanting to sit on my hands I went out & bought a full box at dollar tree.

Finding my building desires far outpace my flying ability... so while I want to build warbirds and OMG jets that look cool & fly for cheap... then the Sea Angel float plane... which looks like a real between the wars Italian Machi float plane... far too many avenues to go down differnt rabbit holes.. but flying....well not yet & winter monsoons have arrived.

PoorManRC

Master member
Thanks @Antioch
I've recently realized that I don't NEED Hot Glue to build these!! :eek: It's just used for a speedier Build.
So I'll use my small Hot Glue Gun for smaller areas, and Gorilla Glue for larger areas.
Still waiting for a couple of things to arrive in the Mail, and then it's time to MOVE!! (y)(y)

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Thanks @Antioch
I've recently realized that I don't NEED Hot Glue to build these!! :eek: It's just used for a speedier Build.
So I'll use my small Hot Glue Gun for smaller areas, and Gorilla Glue for larger areas.
Still waiting for a couple of things to arrive in the Mail, and then it's time to MOVE!! (y)(y)
personally I only use my glue gun to lock in or mount the servos, (so I can remover them easily later).

Later when the mail arrives and you start your build Please do not forget to document and post your progress and other achievements.
Even at this early stage your experiences could help others with even less experience or skill.

Have fun!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Thanks @Antioch
I don't know for sure, I have yet to fly and I'm only building my second plane. From what I've found though, hotglue is just easy. I dropped the forty bucks for the gun that the FT guys recommended, stuck with the clear sticks, and you lay a bead, press the parts together, hum "You are my sunshine" a couple times and boom. Done. Solid joint.

Some parts benefit from a square along the edge to keep things true, but only for several seconds. It's just easy. I think that's why the Bix likes it.