An R/C Paramotor wing YOU can build!

RCAiradventures

So, speaking of things to come - I would encourage you to practice the A line attachment points. The rest of the rib attachments are not too bad, but the A-line attachments are probably my least favorite part of the entire process because they are tough to get right.

Also, the rib stiffeners may be something that you want to practice just a bit first. Once you figure out how you want to align them, they are really pretty easy, but still. . .

I have done the stiffeners first and attachment points second, and attachment points first then stiffeners and there is not too much benefit to one way over the other (at the A-line point there is an overlap of the attachment and stiffener). So, try both and see which you like better. It will depend a little upon your sewing machine and a little on personal preference.

Good luck!

Mythradites

I'm applying all of the lessons I've learned thus far. Expediting the process considerably.
Major lesson learned....KEEP EVERYTHING ORGANIZED :D

Round2.jpg

RCAiradventures

Yes, how true. Fantastic! With any luck, I have saved all of you from a LOT of lessons learned - my wife can even attest to the difficulty I have encountered getting to this point. Now it's time to have fun!

Thanks for sharing, Mythradites!

Bdhost05

Just had to post another picture, im so happy with the way this thing is coming together!
3 more to sew.jpg

Thanks again for this great design, James!:eek:
Brent

Bdhost05

Great job mythradites! That is looking like a beautiful wing! For me, the outer panels are difficult to sew, so I'm taking my time there:)

Mythradites

Wingtips and trailing edge DONE!

It may not be perfect but it'll get the job done. Not too shabby for my first week of sewing.
Note: I also triple stitched the wingtips for strength, using black thread it may be difficult to see on the black wingtip.

triplestitch.jpg

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Not the same design or function, but one of the helicopter guys that I fly with regularly shocked the living snot out of us by showing up with a kite wing at a local fly-in over the weekend.
JaysWing.jpg

He's been holding out on us, cuz he usually only flys Helis and AutoGyros.... Most of us had no idea he had built this quite a few years ago... Need to go check out his hanger and see what else he is hiding....

Cheers!
LitterBug

RCAiradventures

Ah, the old Flexi-Foil! I had one of these ages ago - they also made them as kites.

I know the feeling - I'm always showing up at the field with something odd, whether a new autogyro or GeoBat, or lifting body . . . someone asked me one time where one of my designs originated, to which my buddy Mark replied, "he can make all sorts of stuff fly".

This kind of stuff is great fun - I always check aerofred.com for designs from the past that could use a modern twist.

Thanks for sharing!

RCAiradventures

Hey, all - just a quick note to let you know that I have started modelling my scale cart as well as the 'simple cart' in preparation for making plans. Stay Tuned!

-James
Frame-Render.JPG

Last edited:

Mythradites

Hey, all - just a quick note to let you know that I have started modelling my scale cart as well as the 'simple cart' in preparation for making plans. Stay Tuned!

-James

I know you plan on starting either a seperate thread or continuing in this one but I would love to see a "Home Depot" material version of a cart either with steel bar stock or aluminum flat stock. I intend on designing one of my own but have little experience in working with those materials. I lack the ability to weld *for now* and would like to see some ideas!

Thank you so much for all that you have provided!

Myth

RCAiradventures

Myth - yes, the 'simple cart' uses aluminum stock and no welding required. There are some parts than can be 3D printed, but otherwise all hand tools.

-James

Bdhost05

James, for the "Mylars", I have some 6 mil thick transparent plastic (I used digital calipers to measure). I am wondering if one thickness of this would be enough, or were you using a total of 2- 5 mil sheets laminated together? I don't have a laminating machine, so I'm trying to get by with what I have. Thanks!
Brent

RCAiradventures

Brent,

The 5-mil pouches I have are apparently 5-mil per surface, as they measure .010" together. .006 might be a little thin, as you want a fair amount of stiffness. You could probably use a covering iron or even a regular iron to 'set' the 5-mil laminating pouches. The reason I went that route was to get the desired thickness. I have used laminating films with a covering iron before and it works pretty well, and you would not need to get a laminator. The pouches are available at Wal-Mart, OfficeDepot, etc. Just be sure to get the heavy duty pouches so that you get a nice thick stiffener - the .010" seems to be a good place to be.

The 6-mil might be enough, I have just never tried it that thin.

Hope this helps!

-James

Bdhost05

Thanks for the reply, James! That helps a lot! I'll pick up some of the thicker pouches, and use my covering iron:). I just finished sewing the ribs and panels together last night, so now its on to sewing the trailing edge, wingtips, and stiffeners! I'm enjoying every step of the project!
Brent