And so it begins...

My turn to have a go at building a tri.

:cool:

IMG_0755.JPG

And looks like my order from HK made it to the shores today, so I should be getting a couple of boxes later next week.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Wow, nice photo! Though I must say you need to practice your precision-drilling... Drill both plates at the same time, and it won't matter if you drill offcenter.

Don't worry, it's not that bad.

I assume you'll make a coffin type body?

I did have them clamped together when I drilled them cause I just knew the bit was going to walk a little.

If this first go does work out, I've enough g10 left to cut out a couple more and then I'll have to break out the shopsmith drill press. But I'll see how these work out first.

Yeah, going with the coffin. Can't really use my table scrollsaw, this g10 stuff just turns blades into butter knifes. So its a drimmel with a diamond cutting wheel.

Whys it gotta be perfect?

What's wrong with a little character?

So its gotta look like everyone else huh?

;)

That's a good idea actually; I'll give it a shot. THX.

Yeaaa! My Tri-chopper arrived!

....some assembly required...

IMG_0756.JPG

I guess the stickers were a bonus; I didn't ask for those.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
WOW! You got all at once?

As for the stickers, I've never seen TrackStar stickers. I assume those are there because they either ran out of the oher ones or because you bought the steering wheel parts for the yaw mechanism.

Actually ... there's one more small order that should be here hopefully this week as well.

I forgot to order the AVR; so that and some misc bits and pieces to fill the box. But I've enough to do before I'll be ready to start programming.

a little more progress...

ESCs are done. Motors just need to trim the shafts. And put the finishing touches on the tail mount once the CA dries so I can drill the holes.

IMG_0757.JPG

Picking up my other package at the PO today so I'll be able to program the KK board. Yeaaa!

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Wow, awesome! Do you have any friction in the motors? Mine are quite tough to spin by hand.

No friction at all really. I was careful to only tighten down the lock nut till just snug enough to hold the props in place. So far, so good.

Calibration is done as far as making sure all my controls are proper, esc's in sync and all that goodness.

I got if off the ground and into a hover, but my yard is quite small, so I need to head out to a park close by to really get in some flight time.

Not from what I can tell. I also have brake disabled via esc programming.

PS: unless I'm just missing something....which entirely possible :)

Last edited:

glydr

How many letters do we ge
As for the stickers, I've never seen TrackStar stickers. I assume those are there because they either ran out of the oher ones or because you bought the steering wheel parts for the yaw mechanism.

The 'steering parts' are for nose wheel steering on larger planes. I'm thinking that they are promoting their RC car stuff.

Awesome fast build there RV. Before you get onto flying you really have to balance that puppy. A little fiddly but well worth the effort.

I really rate using a seismograph app (IOS or Android have plenty, I use 'seismograph' on android for free!) for chasing vibes.

Not my vid but gives an idea how to do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yLRGF5_4XU

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Not from what I can tell. I also have brake disabled via esc programming.

PS: unless I'm just missing something....which entirely possible :)

No, don't get me wrong, I'm just worried that my motors are not OK.

I'll have to check my motors and their bearings.

glydr

How many letters do we ge
Hey colorex,

My motors (also DT750s) spin fine. There is a very fine ratchet effect as the magnets pass each pole of the stator - but no friction preventing spin.

Have you drilled the arm under the motor mount?

As recommended by the guru (aka David Windestal):

tricopter42.jpg
The motor axel can extend a fraction of a mm out of the bottom of the motor mount base, and to prevent it rubbing against the arm I simply drilled away a tiny bit of wood underneath the mount. http://www.rcexplorer.se/projects/tricopterv25/tricopterv25.html

Cheers,
G