André's Multiplex FunCub (kit)

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
What do you get when you combine a gift certificate to your local hobby shop and an awesome boxing day sale?

A FUNCUB. Yes yes yes. I've wanted one of these for a long time now.

I'd bought the motor and ESC back in the summer for the ill-fated 60" Spitfire but now that 3536 motor has a home.

Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 3536-1050kv Brushless Outrunner Motor
H-KING 50A Fixed Wing Brushless Speed Controller

IMG_2305.jpg IMG_2308.jpg IMG_2309.jpg IMG_2310.jpg IMG_2311.jpg IMG_2312.jpg IMG_2313.jpg IMG_2314.jpg IMG_2315.jpg IMG_2378.jpg IMG_2379.jpg

marc60

Nice project Andre. That's some motor you got there, are you going VTOL :)
Keep posting, woudl like to follow the build
grts Marc

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Productive afternoon.

- Decided on a layout for the ESC, receiver and battery.
IMG_2391.jpg

- I'm using all metal servos for the FunCub.
IMG_2393.jpg

- Added some wood to widen the footprint.
IMG_2394.jpg

- Tail servos installed.
IMG_2396.jpg

- Ready to be joined together.
IMG_2397.jpg

- Elevator attached.
IMG_2401.jpg

- I had to read the instructions or the rudder and tail wheel setup but figured it out.
IMG_2402.jpg

- Tail section
IMG_2404.jpg

- Rolling fuselage.
IMG_2405.jpg

- Wing section with drop flaps.
IMG_2406.jpg

I have been contemplating a Fun Cub myself! It's one of those that I think I should buy the kit before it gets discontinued or something stupid like that... I've got a bit of Christmas money myself, so maybe a Fun Cub is what I will get. I probably don't have enough for the complete power set up, but it would be nice to have the kit on hand and then slowly collect the rest of the bits. It looks like a really dynamic plane that can accommodate a really wide range of power plants and can do almost anything.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
You bet.

I bet you could run it with a simple motor, 35A esc.

Or just built a Storch!

For me I wanted that extra winter plane.

When I went to the shop on Boxing day I had 2 ideas in mind.

#1 was a PZ Mosquito and #2 was the FunCub.

The store guy who I know and fly with said he really likes his Mosquito but it was no good in the winter and he really enjoyed flying the FunCub due to its wide envelop.

Earlier this spring he was showing it to me. The guys would taxi from the parking lot, down the embankment and then take off on the field. Just cause they could.

So yeah impressive air frame.

I have been contemplating a Fun Cub myself! It's one of those that I think I should buy the kit before it gets discontinued or something stupid like that... I've got a bit of Christmas money myself, so maybe a Fun Cub is what I will get. I probably don't have enough for the complete power set up, but it would be nice to have the kit on hand and then slowly collect the rest of the bits. It looks like a really dynamic plane that can accommodate a really wide range of power plants and can do almost anything.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
You FunCub has German numbering? "D-...".

Also the first language in the manual is German. Interesting. I didn't know Multiplex originates in Germany?

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
A little more work this evening.

Still a lot of tuning to do but hey look it is an airplane.

IMG_2410.jpg IMG_2413.jpg IMG_2414.jpg IMG_2416.jpg IMG_2420.jpg IMG_2421.jpg

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
I suspect I can run my 3S 4000's in there as well but might stick with the 3S 2200's to keep it light.

quorneng

Master member
A little puzzled by your ESC installation. The motor wires point to rear and the battery wires point forward.
Any reason?

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Well the wires are a touch long and I wanted to prevent the wires to reach back to the motor since the back of the can spins.

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
Andre, well thought out the installation of the electronics! When you going to start flying 3D with it?;)

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Very roomy plane. I've seen a few layouts where pieces of plywood are put down but decided for now to run stock.

3D is neat but I'm going to enjoy the STOL stuff. Maybe see if I can land on targets.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Ready To Fly

Did the last bit of tweaking to the FunCub this evening.

Set the flaps to deploy over a 6 second transition. This should keep things calm.

- The Fun Cub is now dialled and ready to fly.

IMG_2448.jpg

- I will paint and decal it after the maiden flight.

IMG_2452.jpg

- The family voted for the eyes to honour my scratch built cub.

IMG_2453.jpg

- Servo and wires taped down.

IMG_2454.jpg

- Battery and 9x receiver in place.

IMG_2455.jpg

- Front landing gear setup.

IMG_2456.jpg

- Cooling intake.

IMG_2457.jpg

- Wing setup. All metal servos.

IMG_2458.jpg

- Lets have a look under the hatch.

IMG_2459.jpg

- Battery to the gives a good CG setup.

IMG_2460.jpg

- 3536 fits nicely.

IMG_2461.jpg

- Plenty of cooling.

IMG_2462.jpg

- ESC and wiring is now set in position.
IMG_2463.jpg

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
Those flaps of yours have come out great!! That Elapor foam Multiplex makes is very forgiving, you can do so much with it!!