Andre Gets A Taranis.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Oddly enough I never had an intention to own a Taranis it just sort of happened.

If you listen to the recent podcast you'll hear the back store.

I'd gone for a flight with the Sukhoi and accidentally lifted off in Stagility mode/ high rates.
"Really wish my radio would talk to me..." Plus as much as I love my Turnigy 9X radios with ER9X I keep running into low memory issues.

So the 9XR Pro was on my radar since all my modules would simply move over. Plus it has voice and a SD port.

In passing I mentioned this to a fellow flyer at the field.
"Oh I have a 2nd Taranis I could sell you..."

D'oh. We struck up a deal and now I'm part of the group now.
Flying Circus will have to show me the secret hand shake now I guess. ;)

IMG_4200.JPG IMG_4201.JPG IMG_4202.JPG

Last edited:

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Getting Modules To Work

My new radio did not come with any modules or receivers.
No big deal.

I will convert over the FRSKY slowly. VERY slowly. I have a lot of good 9X and orange receivers.
The current plan is to use my 2 Orange RX modules and Turnigy 9X 2.4 I'd removed one from my 9X radio.

At first they were stubborn to fit. on the ORX DSMX module actually sat in the port correctly.

IMG_4235.JPG

The 433 module need some work. The pin port is now resting beside a piece of foam board to help alignment and the cover needed a few zaps on the bench grinder but now it sits correctly.

It was the Turnigy 9X module which was completely different.

IMG_4236.JPG IMG_4240.JPG

What I discovered is the board normally sits much lower in the module case.
I ended up trimming a few tabs off the cover, grinding the cover similarly to the ORX 433 and then using some foam board and hot glue to support and anchor the 9X board in the correct spot in the module case.
Now it fits and can be removed and installed correctly.

I'm very tempted to get a new 2.4 antenna with a SMB connector. So I can leave the module in or at least remove the ant.

But for now I'm all set.

IMG_4242.JPG

I need to port over a lot of models and setting but it is an excuse to get used to Open TX.

Last edited:

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I think you'll find the switches and pots great for your apm stuff! I can send you an example configuration/model for my tricopter.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Awesome. I gotta get one ordered before FTFF this year. My DX5e is not gonna cut it anymore (especially since I'm wearing out the gimbals).

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
I think you'll find the switches and pots great for your apm stuff! I can send you an example configuration/model for my tricopter.

I'm going to run my APM on 433 (sooner or later) but yeah drop me an email ;)

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Awesome. I gotta get one ordered before FTFF this year. My DX5e is not gonna cut it anymore (especially since I'm wearing out the gimbals).

I'll use one 9X for my son's radio since I wanted him to have a kill switch and the other will be a back up or solely for the LRS gear.

I'll use one 9X for my son's radio since I wanted him to have a kill switch and the other will be a back up or solely for the LRS gear.

Haven't gotten through all of the podcast yet, but am I correct in assuming you will have a review/impressions of your new radio on a future podcast?

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Haven't gotten through all of the podcast yet, but am I correct in assuming you will have a review/impressions of your new radio on a future podcast?

You bet.

Hence why I decided to start this thread as well.
Just to keep the dialogue going and a nice way to ask questions.

I'm going to look into a few receivers in time but need to save up.

I could see myself with a variometer in the Radian for sure.

ZoomNBoom

Accelerate the roll out plan for the frsky receivers; they are cheap, quite excellent and you're missing all the fun without telemetry.
Also, we cant teach you the secret handshake if you insist on desecrating the taranis with DSM modules :).

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Accelerate the roll out plan for the frsky receivers; they are cheap, quite excellent and you're missing all the fun without telemetry.
Also, we cant teach you the secret handshake if you insist on desecrating the taranis with DSM modules :).

Hah

2 receivers ordered.

FrSky D8R-II PLUS 2.4Ghz 8CH Receiver with Telemetery
FrSky X8R 8/16Ch S.BUS ACCST Telemetry Receiver W/Smart Port

I wont bother with any other types as I have a fleet of receivers which are fine.

And no they are not cheap compared to the $10 DSM ones.
Besides I how am I expected to fly my BFN birds ;)

Last night I did sit down with the laptop/Open TX software.
Might do this on my PC vs the 13" laptop so I can have a larger screen.

Lots to take in but I'll start moving planes over.
Loaded in the Amber sound pack as well.

ZoomNBoom

If you dont need full range or telemetry, you can have frsky receivers for ~$10 too:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...hz_5CH_Micro_Receiver_Telemetry_Capable_.html
(note that HK claims its telemetry capable, but afaik its not, at least it wont send RSSI or voltage data, so it might as well not be; after all who's gonna connect an altimeter or GPS for telemetry to a parkflyer rx?).

And not many other brands offer 4/8 channel full range, diversity + telemetry receivers for just over $20. I think cheap is the correct word.

As for BnF; sure I get your point. Thats why many plug in an orange module. I just stick the PnF until someone releases ACCST BnF's;).

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
If you dont need full range or telemetry, you can have frsky receivers for ~$10 too:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...hz_5CH_Micro_Receiver_Telemetry_Capable_.html
(note that HK claims its telemetry capable, but afaik its not, at least it wont send RSSI or voltage data, so it might as well not be; after all who's gonna connect an altimeter or GPS for telemetry to a parkflyer rx?).

And not many other brands offer 4/8 channel full range, diversity + telemetry receivers for just over $20. I think cheap is the correct word.

As for BnF; sure I get your point. Thats why many plug in an orange module. I just stick the PnF until someone releases ACCST BnF's;).

Well that is cool.
I was looking at this one for the Radian.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._16ch_2_4Ghz_ACCST_Receiver_w_telemetry_.html

Last edited:

ZoomNBoom

I have a boatload of those. My favorite rx. I use it all multirotors and DLG gliders, the latter in combination with the high precision variometer.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
That is in the game plan. As long as the tone does not drive me crazy.

One of the things I love about the Radian is the quiet/peacefulness of the flying experience. ;)

ZoomNBoom

I set it up so that it only beeps when there is a thermal (climb rate > 0.1m/s). Thats enough to not drive me crazy, we all love to hear those climbing beeps :p. And of course you define a switch to turn the vario sound off completely or turn it on even if it s(t)inks. And on your cheater glider, you will want to set it up so its quiet if the throttle is above zero.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Oh, looks like we are finally getting closer to have someone at Flite Test look at or use a Taranis. We're in the extended circle now. Next step is you telling Chris, Wayne and Mike how much you like it - you do like it, right? :)

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Open TX Companion.

Oh, looks like we are finally getting closer to have someone at Flite Test look at or use a Taranis. We're in the extended circle now. Next step is you telling Chris, Wayne and Mike how much you like it - you do like it, right? :)

Hah well Chris would put a DX9 in my hands if cost was not an issue.

The new radio is growing on me quickly.

Things like a USB port make me smile.

Last night I started programming my first plane.

My VAS Wraith which has 433/Fail Safe and a FC with RTL.

Initially I was on my Mac laptop but moved over to a PC to see if the software was any different.
Not really. Minor stuff.
After studying the model my friend had left on the radio I got to work building up the Wraith FPV model.

IMG_4257.JPG IMG_4262.JPG

The setup wizard is pretty handy but yeah it can be a little overwhelming in the beginning.
That said once you figure it out it is a breeze.
Setup menu, servos, mixes and special features (voice commands).

I even made a custom voice to call out the crafts name.
http://www2.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php