Andre's FPV Vapor

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
So I was at my local Hobby Shop looking for screws and well I sort of bought another plane.

The FPV Vapor BNF without Headset (EFLU6680) from Horizon Hobbies.

The model has been discontinued but the remaining stock is being offered at a nice discount.
The camera alone is worth you snapping one up if possible.

IMG_5482.jpg IMG_5485.jpg IMG_5486.jpg IMG_5487.jpg IMG_5497.jpg

Looking forward to flying this thing all weekend ;)

defhermit

check out the forum post bhursey linked above. a lot of us have picked up one of these in the last few weeks! I moved the camera off the vapor and onto my sport cub s, which already had a free empty port for it and a precut hole to run the wire through. just got some more double sided tape and slapped it on there! have a good time, this was my first FPV experience and it definitely got me excited to do it on a larger scale.

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
check out the forum post bhursey linked above. a lot of us have picked up one of these in the last few weeks! I moved the camera off the vapor and onto my sport cub s, which already had a free empty port for it and a precut hole to run the wire through. just got some more double sided tape and slapped it on there! have a good time, this was my first FPV experience and it definitely got me excited to do it on a larger scale.

What range have you gotten iv only gotten about 250 feet but that was in a negborhood.

defhermit

What range have you gotten iv only gotten about 250 feet but that was in a negborhood.

not sure! I actually have 2 sport cub s's due to a birthday present from my mom (great minds think alike). so I put the vapor camera on my older beat up sport cub s. the point being, that I actually lost radio control contact before I lost video. I haven't debugged that yet so I'm not sure what caused the loss of radio control, it could have just been low batteries.

worst case scenario, the older sport cub s has a busted receiver that only works to a short range. if it keeps happening I'll give up and move the camera to my still in the box sport cub s...

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
I wanted to put it on my ft scout but i think it would be tough to keep in range. I want to posibly get a 3 or 5 turn helicul..

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
So I was at my local Hobby Shop looking for screws and well I sort of bought another plane.

lol isn't that how it always goes? I'm the same way but at my local sporting goods store...go in to buy some fishing line and come out with a new rod and reel or some ammo and end up with a brand new hunting rifle!

You'll have a blast with it as long as there isn't too much wind...

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
That did not take long

I brought the Vapor with me on vacation to the cottage and was well into my 5th pack before I broke the prop shaft.

thumb_IMG_5576_1024.jpg

$15 later I now have the replacement parts and I'm going to try and remove the broken shaft from the original prop.

thumb_IMG_5580_1024.jpg

Really enjoying this plane. Actually very responsive but you need to be on your toes in the wind or you get sucked down...

FlairFan

Really enjoying this plane. Actually very responsive but you need to be on your toes in the wind or you get sucked down...

Very true! I found it easier to fly downwind. Seems like every time I tried to come upwind, it would either balloon up so much that it almost looped or (if I tried to level out with down elevator) it would go nose down into the grass. BTW, this was wind that any other plane (or my Syma X5C-1) would have zero issue with. Seems like any wind makes the wing act more like an elevator.

Still fun, and an absolute steal at the price Horizon was offering.

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
I'm on vacation this week too. I only had room to take my Nano QX with me.
I've been flying a lot of batteries through it.
It helps having my 4 year old granddaughter as an enthusiastic hoppercopter retriever.
The frame cracked just past the motor and it's still flies OK, but I wanted to order a new frame.
As I was ordering, a BNF Nano QX FPV jumped in the basket......

The Nanos are perhaps the best learning tool as they can take so much abuse.
Removing the fear of crashing speeds up the learning curve.

Best regards,
PCH

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
If any one still wants one horizon is out but ready made rc still has them i baught my second bnf from ready made rc..

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Yeah while I was at the cottage I had my UMX Radian but I was concerned a pine tree would jump out and grab it.

Should have brought with me my Micro Tiger Moth. That could have handled the area really nicely.

Lessons learned everytime.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
A little too much fun

So the yard is too small to fly fpv with the Vapor but that did not stop my son from strapping on the FatSharks while I flew around. He was howling when ever the wind would catch the Vapor... "TREEEEEEE"

Yes I had to go into the bushes a few time but was getting very good at dealing with the conditions.

Actually that oversized rudder on the Vapor is amazing.

IMG_5603.JPG IMG_5604.JPG IMG_5605.JPG IMG_5609.JPG

One last thing I wanted to make was a 1S voltage checker cable. I happen to have a 1S connector laying around so put a lead on the end and now I can read the state of all my 1S's vs putting them on the charger.

IMG_5612.JPG

You can get a cable from Horizon or HK to make your own very easily.

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
So the yard is too small to fly fpv with the Vapor but that did not stop my son from strapping on the FatSharks while I flew around. He was howling when ever the wind would catch the Vapor... "TREEEEEEE"

Yes I had to go into the bushes a few time but was getting very good at dealing with the conditions.

I don't know what it is... It seems like every time I fly the Vapor FPV the wind blows me into a bush or tree.... maybe there is a foliage magnet in those vapors :p

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
I've become very good at counting it but boy do those wings flex ;)

Going to fly it FPV it this evening.

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
I've become very good at counting it but boy do those wings flex ;)

Going to fly it FPV it this evening.

Yeah it's like a powered kite ;)

Unfortunately if I end up breaking a motor shaft I may just scrap it. I initially bought my vapor for it's camera and receiver brick so the airframe was just a bonus.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
I'm having too much fun with this thing to do that.

By the end of the session I was bouncing all over the yard while James was just giggling as I'd duck over the tree and avoid the deck.