Andre's HobbyKing Skipper

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
The Skipper is one of those planes you should really try.
It is a little wild but handles like a race car. Specially if you have snow issues.

I picked mine up during the pre-Christmas sale.
HobbyKing® ™ Skipper All Terrain Airplane EPO 700mm (PNF)

I use a OrangeRx R410X DSMX Compatible 4Ch/6CH PWM/CPPM 2.4Ghz Receiver

And fly the plane with ZIPPY Compact 2200mAh 3S 25C Lipo Pack

To enhance visibility I applied some yellow paint to the belly and added some re-enforced duct tape to help protect the underside when the snow turns to ice.

IMG_7365.JPG IMG_7371.JPG IMG_7413.JPG IMG_7416.JPG IMG_7525.JPG

Last edited:

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Very nice! The skipper is one of the best flying planes I've flown (as far as non purpose built aerobatic planes.) Just wait until you can fly it off of the water! :)

airhawk

Crashing Ace
Nice if I wasnt buying a nqx fpv I would get this or a durafly plane hey Andre you know how I was talking to you about the das ugly stik well Im not getting its not a need my dad is having some layoff period at work(he hasn't been affected) so Im on a tight budget until February ill consider this one maybe if it goes down on cyber Monday.
thanks for all the great content,
-Airhawk

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Nice if I wasnt buying a nqx fpv I would get this or a durafly plane hey Andre you know how I was talking to you about the das ugly stik well Im not getting its not a need my dad is having some layoff period at work(he hasn't been affected) so Im on a tight budget until February ill consider this one maybe if it goes down on cyber Monday.
thanks for all the great content,
-Airhawk

Hang in there buddy. We've all gone through some pretty scary/lean times.
At least you can still scratch build.

NewZee

Andre'....nice flight with the "Skipper" I've built a few Polaris (Polari), and always wanted to fly em off snow, but they didn't survive to the winter!!! I've got a cub on floats and a grasshopper on skis, that I'll fly off snow for the first time tomorrow!! Happy New Year!
IMG_1759.JPG IMG_1952.JPG

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
Andre, is this one a copy of the Polaris or is the Polaris a copy of this one??? Looks just like the polaris to me.

airhawk

Crashing Ace
Thanks Andre im scratch building right now no better way to round off winter than building plus it looks like this outside 1451936830531-13577234.jpg

Attachments

• 1451936604131987186666.jpg
    1451936604131987186666.jpg
    546 KB · Views: 4

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I've had mine for almost two years now. It's a great flying plane.

Couple of interesting facts I've learned since I purchased mine:

• Even though the specs say it's rated for 3S, it can handle 4S just fine.
  • The Skipper is actually the Joysway Dragonfly rebranded for HobbyKing.
  • The Polaris/Skipper/Dragonfly are all copies of the North Star originally designed by Laddie Mikulasko in 1986
  • Laddie also had a follow-up to the North Star called the Arrow in 2004

NewZee

I tried to figure out which came first, the chicken or the egg.

Guess what? Neither of them :)

It's a NorthSkilaris PolipperStar

The "Northstar" definitely came first!!! but it was a balsa (wood) build, and typically powered by gas or glow engines!! "Laddie" took the Polaris design there are minor differences to foam build (Depron), but I use DTFB covered with colored packing tape! and electric power!!! the "Skipper" is a HK rip-off of these two designs! I've been sorely tempted!!! and now Andre has me re-thinking this!!!

a few pics of my "departed" polari!!!
FullSizeRender (13).jpg photo 1 (3) - Copy.JPG Assembly Drawing Preview.jpg

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Hmm 4S you say.

I'll have to run the numbers.

Do you drop the prop down?

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
The "Northstar" definitely came first!!! ... "Laddie" took the Polaris design there are minor differences...

I think you mean Steve Shumate? He's the one that did the plans for the Polaris.

How is it that you have a tundra?? I don't even see that the tundra has been released, yet there is one next to the Skipper!