Andre's Multi RC HMB-235 Experience

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
001(9).jpg
The HMB-235 before all the fun started :)

Mark from http://www.multirc.com/ asked me to take a crack at their HMB-235 frame.

He sent along a frame and some DAL BullNose 5x4.5 props. The rest of the gear I simply transferred from my 250 frame.

IMG_5742.JPG
HMB-235 packaged

IMG_5812.JPG
DAL BN Props

IMG_5732.JPG
My trusty 250 Quad

Specs:

FPV:

I had been running my 250 with some 1704 motors but Mark recommended stepping up to the 1806 motors.
Yep. He was right. Even on my 250 they were a blast.

IMG_5629.JPG
DYS 1806 2300KV Motor

IMG_5702.JPG
I'd been experimenting with some 1306's and the 1806's before the HMB arrived.

On to the HMB kit.

IMG_5750.JPG
Well packages and rather logical layout.

IMG_5810.JPG
Multi RC has a full build video on their site and googling HMB-235 reviled a whack load of images to help me along.

IMG_5816.JPG
DAL VS DAL BullNose. Oh boy oh boy.

IMG_5818.JPG
The build begins.

The HMB comes with everything you need to build the empty frame up.
Multi RC also sells all the cool bits and pieces or will recommend parts as well.

One of Mark's requirements was that I report back any issues I found during the build.
More on that shortly.

The build is rather easy. (Shiny side down btw)
Install the 6 posts and start hanging gear off the frame.

001(22).jpg
HMB with a full sized KK flight controller. Yeah baby.

Things I love about this frame!
  • The little holes every where for zip ties. Amazing.
  • Lots and access holes for the stand off posts.
  • Guarded top deck.

My challenge was to use all my current hardware vs buying everything new.
And yes you read correctly I listed a KK flight controller board. Why? Just cause that is what I have on hand ;).

Initially I was going to run the KK Mini FC on the top deck but that meant I would not be able to stick the Mobius up there. BOO.

Sticking the Mini KK inside was not going to work because I would have no access to the interface and the hard case model was pushing the battery to far back. Hmm what to do.

001(28).jpg
Mini KK board fits but can't control it.

001(27).jpg
The hard case KK has an external remote for setting changes but pushes the battery off the frame.

In the end I removed the cases and mounted the full size flight controller on a foam pad and used some stand off pieces to secure it.

001(24).jpg
Using the extra hole on the frame to setup the mounting point for the flight controller.

001(25).jpg
Sits forward of the recommended position for the flight controller but should be ok.

With the battery firewall piece attached to the posts securing the flight controller in place I put the top deck on and finished off the build.

I admit the 235 is a touch smaller then I was used to. I think that low hung 250 had spoiled me with space.
You'll notice I left all my esc/motor wires long. Mainly because I'm still testing. Once I'm happy I will trim them down most likely removing the bullet connectors and going straight from the ESC to motors.

On the KK board I simply flashed it to the latest profile (1.19s Pro) and went flying.

001(16).jpg
Ready for testing.

Flying the HMB-235.

I will have to edit a full crash fest video shortly but if you are looking for a worry free laugh inducing fpv thrill ride get one of these NOW!

The frame in concert with those DAL BN props is silly strong and so much fun.
I ran 5 packs through the HMB Sunday afternoon and giggled myself silly.

Total damage = 1 antenna whip off the receiver, a banged up FPV transmitter antenna and I lost a prop nut in the grass.

I hit the pool, the tree, another tree, that tree over there, the deck, the bird feeder, yet another tree and count less other objects. My wife was not amused but the HMB protected all the gear and just kept asking for more batteries.

001(6).jpg
Ready for some fun.

001(4).jpg
After flying into the hedge. I spun off 1 prop and broke a solder joint on my FPV tx antenna.

3 Points I suggested to Mark

1. Motor mount washes. I suggested to him to get a slightly larger OD washer. Found the current ones could get sucked into the slots.
  2. Camera mount. I ended up gluing my camera to the top of the mount to get it above the full sized flight controller but a mounting bracket with a smaller hole would be nice.
  3. Possible hole up front to secure a full sized flight controller since we now know it works ;) I suspect the hole might not be possible due to the landing gear feet.

001(20).jpg
Motor mount washes can slide into the slots.

001.jpg
FPV camera glued to the top. I need to put the angle down to level. Kept flying to low ;)

IMG_5451.JPG
Camera mount for the 250 frame.

12047648_10153542528905734_83884215_n.jpg
Martin Robitaille design

12030687_10153542528975734_1944394325_n.jpg
Martin Robitaille design

Yeah I'm impressed ;)
Thanks for reading and thank you Mark for this opportunity.

Andre.

Last edited:

Spastickitten

Good, I was wondering if that 2200 might be too much. My build is meant for a 1300, but I might try a 2200 for just cruising around for the scenery. You have an idea on the c lens stuff for the mobius?

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Good, I was wondering if that 2200 might be too much. My build is meant for a 1300, but I might try a 2200 for just cruising around for the scenery. You have an idea on the c lens stuff for the mobius?

The Mobius C2 has impressed me out of the box. Well once I upgraded the firmware.

Those clips are all compressed I'll be doing a full crash happy time show video soon ;)

Spastickitten

I'll wathc it when I get home, but have you thought of using a slr camera and framing for your shots? Not saying the videos you are doing are bad, but it could make it more flite testy

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Yea, a t3i costs more than anything for me, but it will be worth it

All in time but even with a DSRL camera or even a full end Sony production camera my shot is static due to the fact there is only 1 of me ;)

Still if you look at some of my early videos the tech has come along ;).

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
Ah.. Andre you beat me to it! I'm still waiting for my Naze32 board for the reason you said. Programming the KK mini is a nightmare with it nestled down in the frame.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it though! I was going to use my 1806 DYS motors but as with everything...I'm going the ballistic route...2206 motors, 4S battery, 20A esc ;)

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Ah.. Andre you beat me to it! I'm still waiting for my Naze32 board for the reason you said. Programming the KK mini is a nightmare with it nestled down in the frame.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it though! I was going to use my 1806 DYS motors but as with everything...I'm going the ballistic route...2206 motors, 4S battery, 20A esc ;)

Yep the KK hard case with remote was the trick but honestly I've done no tuning.

Mark runs the 2206's on the 4S. I was tempted but that would have meant new ESC's.

Spastickitten

There is so much more than equipment when it comes to cinematography. I have been perusing DSLRguide and nofilmschool for info, but there is soooo much!

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
Yep the KK hard case with remote was the trick but honestly I've done no tuning.

Mark runs the 2206's on the 4S. I was tempted but that would have meant new ESC's.

I was looking at the hard case KK2 with the remote...But I decided to give the Naze32 acro board a try... I figure if I mess up the Naze and burrow a multi-rotor into the ground I would rather it be the HMB and not my tricopter :eek:

Have you seen the mini Afro 20A ESCs? They are the size of the 12A so it should fit the mini quads great. I've used the slim 20A ESCs before with good luck so I'm going to try the minis on my HMB.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Yeah wanted to order some more esc's but with the current enhance rate I'm having to be more guarded with my funds.

I have a tiny 3D printed frame and those 1306 motors I wanted to try but it will have to wait.

jipp

that frame is pretty thick. hhe. you are pretty brave.. my luck id end up in the pool. and its a quad man not a weed eater :D

chris.