Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
And so it begins.

10390900_10155366250375416_4793138371506991266_n.jpg

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Yeah, the hard bit's of getting the flight controller wired up, and camera gimbal setup looks just about there! Just the motors/escs, and the software tweaking... though the software tweaking / tuning can be the most time consuming. What size battery are you going to use? I can't wait to see the "follow me" functionality if you try it out...

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
I'm looking forward to a lot of aspects about this project.

But the tablet control stuff is sweet.

IMG_3282.JPG IMG_3283.JPG IMG_3426.JPG IMG_3432.JPG

3S 4000.

The gimbal has been programmed and I'll be adding a Bluetooth module so I can tweak from a tablet.

IMG_3292.JPG IMG_3297.JPG IMG_3386.JPG IMG_3429.JPG

jipp

thanks for sharing, i too am more interested in AP.. but have to learn to fly first.. so starting smaller. looks like quite a beast of a AP machine.
chris.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
A little work done last night.

Installed some connectors and wires on the power board.
This allows me to power the APM and not the ESC.
The 2 outputs are for the gimbal and the fpv tx.

I put a XT60 and the feed to the power board connectors on the esc quad board.

And finally went to work on the wiring harness. Combining the OSD and FPV gear.

IMG_3481.JPG IMG_3483.JPG IMG_3484.JPG IMG_3485.JPG IMG_3486.JPG

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
HC-05 Blue Tooth Module

The first BT module arrived arrived on Thursday.

I was able to configure it using Arduino and a FTDI module.

IMG_3524.jpg IMG_3526.jpg

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Sweet Tablet Interface & Progress

Ok I'll have to setup the camera better and record a video but that is fun.

More to follow on that for sure.

Got a little more work done over the weekend.

Put the bullet connectors on the DT-750's. I still need to trim the shafts down but that can be done later.
Had run all the ESC leads then discovered they were in the way of the top plate.

So everything had to redone ;)

I've ordered a damping plate so once that shows up I can finish off mounting the flight controller.
I did switch over to shorter 3mm mounts so the boards do not sit so tall.

IMG_3781.JPG IMG_3782.JPG IMG_3784.JPG IMG_3785.JPG IMG_3788.JPG IMG_3789.JPG IMG_3791.JPG

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
External Compass Trace

So this week has been a wild one. And adding to my grumpiness was the Micro APM stuff.
After I installed an APM Flight Controller Damping Platform

IMG_3939.JPG IMG_3940.JPG IMG_3942.JPG

I decided it was time to be brave and cut the trace for the internal compass. WELL.
From that point on the APM went nuts. Bad Compass Health. No magnetic field readings. Oh boy.

IMG_3944.JPG

No matter what I did I simply could not get the compass to be read.
I tried the internal, external, changed computers, flashed the board.
Finally I stripped the whole unit down.

IMG_3949.JPG

First I soldered the trace back just to see if I was getting any data. No.
So I removed the solder with my solder vacuum and presto.
I guess that cleaned everything up nice and tidy because all of a sudden I was seeing the compass and a magnetic field.

IMG_3948.JPG IMG_3950.JPG

A small relief as I feared this was going to be an RMA case.

With some luck and time I might have a chance to get this thing in the air this weekend.

IMG_3952.JPG IMG_3955.JPG IMG_3957.JPG

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Just saw your update (been busy trying to change jobs). Looking good! Glad you got that internal compass vs external compass thing sorted out. I'm a little disappointed in HK not just leaving that compass off the board. Sure, I could see the utility of the onboard compass in a fixed wing application -- which is actually how I have one of my APM setup (see below my first flight of 2015 with the Versa Wing and the latest APM/OSD software which finally works well together).

As much of a PITA the OSD setup is, it's nice having the telemetry on the goggles.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Thanks David. Yeah I need to sit down with the S500 and just get busy setting up the switches and fine tuning.

OH I want to got FPV flying so badly now... Just been having major SQUIRREL moments lately.

:)

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Last night I finally had a chance to work on the S500.

The goal was to program the 4 modes.

Stability
Alt-Hold
Loiter
And RTL (Return to launch/land)

I'll get some photos of my settings on the 9X but found an example online which worked for me.

I'm using the aileron switch to trigger the RTL and the 3 way to jump between the other modes.

Basically you have 6 modes on the APM, The first 3 are setup with Stability, Alt-Hold & Loiter.
When I toggle the aileron switch that shifts the value of the 3 way switch which hits 4,5 & 6 on the APM modes.
All are assigned to RTL.

Clear as mud eh. ;)