Another "is this a good FPV set up" :P

Hey everyone, I know there have been a lot of "is this a good fpv set up" but I just want to check with some pros before clicking the checkout button.

This is what I am thinking for the TX/RX:

TX: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1017

RX: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/in...ucts_id=1020:9d2074574db4c5af0ecac1942063db69

I am wanting to use my GoPro Hero 2 as the FPV cam/Video recorder so I believe I will be needing these cables:

GoPro Cable: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=289

TX Cable: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=135

And two Jumper Cables:
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=136

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=282

The antennas I would like to get are not in stock right now, and I still am not sure what batts I need for the TX and RX?

I am wanting to get this right the first time around so any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Maxwell

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
What frequency are you using for your control transmitter? If it's 2.4, you'll do well to add a low pass filter so the vtx doesn't reduce your control range with errant transmissions and harmonics.

I have a 900Mhz Lawmate system (same as the one you've linked). It runs on 12V, so I use a spare 3s lipo for the rx and my 3s flight battery for the vtx (I made a lc filter to remove ESC interference in the video feed). If you want to use a separate battery for the vtx, a 300-500mAh 3s should do the trick, as it doesn't use much power.

I am going to be flying on 2.4. Thanks for that suggestion on the low pass filter.

I am wanting to run on 1.3ghz because it is legal if I have a Ham license. Thanks for the info on the batts! That is what I have been trying to workout is if I run them on 2s, or 3s.

Thanks lobstermash!

Maxwell

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
No worries. I think 910Mhz is legal in the US without the need for a Ham license. I'd have a look at the combo I got from Hobbyking. I know you've already got a camera, but you could always sell it - it's $30 by itself and is pretty decent.

On the antennas, they're very easy to make yourself, especially on the scale of the 900-1300Mhz bands where tolerances are much looser.

Last edited:

Nonamerc

Arman
I am going to be flying on 2.4. Thanks for that suggestion on the low pass filter.

I am wanting to run on 1.3ghz because it is legal if I have a Ham license. Thanks for the info on the batts! That is what I have been trying to workout is if I run them on 2s, or 3s.

Thanks lobstermash!

Maxwell

!! 1.2 GHz FPV does not work with 2.4 GHz RC!!
Some friends of mine also tested different low pass filters but they just don't work fine. After 1Km they got a failsafe with perfect video..
If you want to fly with 1.2 GHz FPV you will have to buy an 35/75 MHz RC transmitter and receiver max range is about 5-6 Km. With an UHF system (433 MHz) you can fly with long disctances 10+Km.
But they are pricy..

Everything about UHF systems

Some people like to use the gopro as the FPV cam but make sure that it is always charged and that there is enough space left on the SD card. (When the gopro is full it will turn it self of) I have the exact same VTX and VRX and i have flown 3Km with it, perfect signal. (I used and UHF system for that flight) I had to turn back because my battery was almost empty :)

Good choice that you are not going for the high mW transmitter most of them are old tech and have bad filtering which leads to range reduction ;)

Make sure that if you are going to buy a patch that you buy the optimized 8 dbi patch from readymaderc. If you are interested in longer range flights buy an vee antenna you can also make it your self it's really easy to make!

Last edited:

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Maxwell, what control system are you using? I use a FrSky telemetry system for FPV because it beeps at me when the control signal strength is getting low. I scared myself a couple of times flying a standard Flysky rx out with my 900Mhz system and had some glitches. I think my vtx and rx were too close (I didn't use a low pass filter) and I was only getting 600m before the tx started beeping at me.

I did move the vtx further away (to about 30cm away from the rx) but I haven't tried it out yet. I think the article has a good point in terms of setting the vtx to 1.3 to put the harmonic higher than the 2.4's band.

If you are planning on going further in the future, note that if you get the 1.3 system you'll at the very least need to get a high quality low pass filter (about $30), use a UHF system as Arman suggests, or get a 72Mhz system.

If you aren't able to use a FrSky module or other RSSI enable system, I'd recommend getting an OSD with RTH, like the Cyclops NOVA OSD. That way, if your control system goes into failsafe, RTH will kick in and bring the model safely back into control range.

I am flying on Spektrum right now. I plan on putting the FPV gear on my quad copter to help me get shots for AP. I would like to put it on a plane but I don't know if I want to put in on my Fun cub or buy a plane that will be detected for FPV/AP (CTH Storm Chaser).

When I get the FPV gear ready to go, I will do some range tests to see how much the FPV gear effects the RC gear. I did get a low pass filter so hopefully that will help. I am wanting to get an OSD with RTH, but I'm not sure what one to get yet.

With the Flite test videos on FPV, it looks like they use 900mhz-1.3ghz FPV gear with 2.4ghz RC gear. They have not talked much at all about FPV gear effecting RC gear. They should do a video about that!

Thanks for all the info and helping me understanding all this,

Maxwell

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
The FPV that they've done has been well within visual range. The harmonic problems only seem to manifest beyond about 500m. There might be some sensitivities about Flitetest doing videos demonstrating FPV outside visual range...

Good point on that! I am just planning on doing it within visual range for now (keep the cost low). I did checkout the Cyclops NOVA OSD, and it looks like a vary solid OSD. AND ITS ONLY $130!!!! I was looking at the Eagle Tree OSD Pro, but its $240! I did like it how you can add more stuff onto it, but still $240 seams like a lot since my FPV gear was only about $100 more then it.

Nonamerc

Arman
the nova osd works well but the RTH only works when it is not cloudy. When it's cloudy the IR sensor does not sees the difference between ground and sky. This will result in your plane making rolls.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I've used the FMA copilot, which uses thermopile sensors identical to that in the NOVA. It has no issues at all with clouds.

The sensors detect IR signatures to adjust the plane's position in space. It adjusts the plane to keep the sensors seeing cold (sky). The ground is warm (even when it's cold) compared to the sky (even cloudy sky). By the basic laws of physics, if the ground was colder than a cloud, the cloud would sink to the ground.

I'm not say don't get the Eagle Tree OSD, as it's a 'better' system (otherwise it wouldn't be almost twice the price), but it's up to you to identify the functions you want from an OSD and which one suits your needs and budget.

Nonamerc

Arman
Yea but it's a fact that the nova osd has some problems with RTH when it's cloudy. I saw a comparision video yesterday but I cant find the link. (Between cloudy and not cloudy situations with the RTH function) Most times you won't need RTH when you are flying long distances. I think that something like the EZosd from immersion RC is a really good beginner OSD.

With my setup right now I would like to get an OSD with RTH just in case I lose video or RC control.
Now before you were saying that the 2.4ghz world effect the 1.3ghz, in what way? will I lose video or will I lose control of my aircraft, or both?

Nonamerc

Arman
You will lose your controll of your plane. 1.2 GHz will work with an UHF system. If you are going for an UHF system it's better to buy an 2.4 GHz 500mW vtx. Only buy this vtx if you are not flying with friends that use 2.4 GHz RC because if you are flying FPV and he turns on his 2.4 GHz rc tx you will loos FPV video.

1.2 GHz may work with 2.4 GHz but it's not safe and not smart. Some people can fly for 800 metres before they get a failsafe and other get a failsafe after 10 meters. If you are going to buy an UHF system with 1.2 GHz fpv I suggest that you buy EZuhf because it has better filtering on 1.2 GHz. Also it is allot more sensitive wich is good for longer range FPV fligths..

The best RTH osd is the RVOSD V5 but it's 300$

MidwestRob

Some really good information on this thread. I had no idea about the issues between 2.4Ghz radio and 1.28Ghz video. This would explain some of my problems with range while flying my FPV quad. I've always had really good video signal, but wondered why I would get failsafes beyond 500-600m. I was under the impression I had to worry about the 1.2Ghz video dropping out while using 2.4Ghz radio. I've been on the fence for a while about getting a long range UHF radio; the information on this thread has convinced me to get one sooner. Thanks for the great information Nonamerc.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Hi Rob, also look into a 72Mhz tx. They generally give range about mid-way between a UHF and (non-harmonic affected) 2.4Ghz system, and you can get some pretty cheap gear from people offloading their old 72Mhz systems.

Ok, I will look into a 72Mhz tx.

If I do a low power range test (what the manual says) with the FPV gear on, and I get the 30 paces the manual asks for is it ok?