Another "is this a good FPV set up" :P

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
If there are going to be harmonics (which is likely), they're going to appear at that magic 500-ish metre mark and probably won't show up in a low power range test. If you want to play with your new toys, just keep it close. 500m is a reasonable distance for those new to FPV! Most people just circle the oval they usually fly in...

MidwestRob

Hi Rob, also look into a 72Mhz tx. They generally give range about mid-way between a UHF and (non-harmonic affected) 2.4Ghz system, and you can get some pretty cheap gear from people offloading their old 72Mhz systems.

Thanks for the advice lobstermash. I will look into and consider the 72Mhz system.

Nonamerc

Arman
Some really good information on this thread. I had no idea about the issues between 2.4Ghz radio and 1.28Ghz video. This would explain some of my problems with range while flying my FPV quad. I've always had really good video signal, but wondered why I would get failsafes beyond 500-600m. I was under the impression I had to worry about the 1.2Ghz video dropping out while using 2.4Ghz radio. I've been on the fence for a while about getting a long range UHF radio; the information on this thread has convinced me to get one sooner. Thanks for the great information Nonamerc.

No problem Rob, I love your videos!
If you have any questions about which UHF systems are good and which antenna's you should buy you can always contact me on my youtube channel www.youtube.com/nonamerc just send me a private message. There are some things that you will need to look out for if you have 1.2 GHz FPV and if you are going to buy and UHF system.