Solved Another question...

MikeyboyMC

So I have my plane almost finished, (except for the RX and the Battery) and I have a question about how to mount my Power Pack C "Radial Edition" Motor to the front of my Spitfire. I will post some Photos to give you a better understanding of my materials, outlines, and components:
15845530812497919657358328194345.jpg
15845531300179168164957450495821.jpg
15845531710406757852234116447040.jpg
1584553227351529406836591883824.jpg

FroProHD

The motor will need a firewall or some sort of hard mount with screws and some reinforcement, maybe hack the roll back so the front is flat? Try and mount the firewall + tape + the motor and everything should be good.

MikeyboyMC

The motor will need a firewall or some sort of hard mount with screws and some reinforcement, maybe hack the roll back so the front is flat? Try and mount the firewall + tape + the motor and everything should be good.
Ok, so I made this model to where that roll is so long that it stretches all the way through the fuselage of the plane. So I cannot cut it back, but I can adjust it to where the firewall is secure along it. Many thanks, my friend!

FroProHD

Ok, so I made this model to where that roll is so long that it stretches all the way through the fuselage of the plane. So I cannot cut it back, but I can adjust it to where the firewall is secure along it. Many thanks, my friend!
No problem, best of luck on your build!

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
So, you spent out on a flitetest powerpack, they are not cheap but are good quality. Why not spend a very small amount more on some foam board which has much better stiffness and stability in flight --- it's the cheapest part of a build and will be far superior than cardboard.

Chuppster

Are you following the plans or build video? In another thread you mentioned you were building a Spitfire but this seems to deviate quite a bit from the FT Spitfire.

When I was getting started out I found it very helpful to build from the plans/with the build video to get an idea of how the airplanes go together.

Chuppster

So, you spent out on a flitetest powerpack, they are not cheap but are good quality. Why not spend a very small amount more on some foam board which has much better stiffness and stability in flight --- it's the cheapest part of a build and will be far superior than cardboard.
@MikeyboyMC Do you live in the US? Foamboard is a while $1 a sheet and it's a LOT easier to work with than cardboard.

MikeyboyMC

@MikeyboyMC Do you live in the US? Foamboard is a while $1 a sheet and it's a LOT easier to work with than cardboard.
I did in fact heavily consider buying foamboard, but I figured that it would be easier and cheaper to use some of the unused cardboard lying around the house than to go to the store and buy some. And yes, I do indeed live in the United States.

MikeyboyMC

Are you following the plans or build video? In another thread you mentioned you were building a Spitfire but this seems to deviate quite a bit from the FT Spitfire.

When I was getting started out I found it very helpful to build from the plans/with the build video to get an idea of how the airplanes go together.
I did watch the video, but I am brand new to the hobby, and this is my first project. I decided not to try and bend the cardboard too much, and I just made a squareish fuselage. I figured it would be easier that way and not spend too much time trying to do something that is almost unnecessary. Thanks for your concerns, though.

FL_Engineer

Elite member
Just some stray observations... Your horizontal stabilizer looks much larger than it should be based on the size of your wing; you may end up with some strange flight characteristics from the extra lift at the rear. I'll also recommend foam board as a better construction material ($0.89 per sheet) at Dollar Tree; I would be concerned with the use of only scotch tape as an adhesive as I don't believe this will hold up well to stress induced loads during flight (particularly with the thrust from the C pack). That said, I admire your creativity and willingness to experiment with what you have.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
I don't think I should be the one to say this, but I also think if I can help you, I will.
I personally tried cardboard as a building material and it didn't go very well, but it flew. This is the link: Cardboard FT Simple Scout
But it was the FT Simple Scout, and I tried to stay as close to the plane as possible using the same construction techniques as FT, using hot glue. I think the FT Simple Scout is an easier plane to fly than the Spitfire.
The result was a broken plane, a bent engine, and a beaten battery (luckily no damage). And, of course, the hurt pride.

I really used cardboard because where I live I don't have access to foamboard, but if I had your possibilities, I would try to start a new project from scratch using foamboard and hot glue. I don't want to take away your illusions or be too severe, I just want to avoid you damaging your electronics in an accident. And of course, that you will damage your desire to stay in this hobby.

I don't think the tape is going to hold the structure up under the force of flight. GEt some foamboard, hot glue and go for it again fallowing the plans carefully. U wont regreat. You won't regret it, and in a few months you may feel more confident about modifying your spitfire cardboard and giving it a second chance.

Once again, I'm not trying to make you feel bad, I just want you to go safely to the airfield and have a successful takeoff and landing. ;)