Another Willy Nillies Cub

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Just started the Cub. Probably shouldn't have gone with a "Beta" kit with no instructions for my first balsa in 30+ years. I'm piecing the build together with youtube, rcgroups & here. I've either forgotten what a pain in the butt balsa & ca are OR just got spoiled by fb and hot glue. Probably spoiled. There are a couple high speed build videos on youtube but.... they're either earlier forms of the kit or the part of the build I'm looking for end up being done out of the frame.

Progress so far -

IMG_4338.JPG IMG_4339.JPG IMG_4340.JPG

TooJung2Die

Master member
As far as I know there are no instructions with the kits. At first I was frustrated by this but when I began building I saw no need for the instructions. I watched a generic Willie Nillies build video on You Tube. These kits are easy. Figuring out where the parts go is as easy as a kindergarten jigsaw puzzle.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
As far as I know there are no instructions with the kits. At first I was frustrated by this but when I began building I saw no need for the instructions. I watched a generic Willie Nillies build video on You Tube. These kits are easy. Figuring out where the parts go is as easy as a kindergarten jigsaw puzzle.
After building a bunch of FT planes I can look at the parts & figure it out so maybe with more practice I'll get there with balsa.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
All in all the build is going very smoothly, but it's official - I am not as smart as a kindergartener. I got all the balsa assembly done and thought I'd mount the motor to check the clearance. The kit comes with blind nuts and screws to mount the motor to the firewall, former F1. It was a booger getting them in with the firewall already installed! Now on to sanding, filling & covering.
All things considered, if that's the biggest mistake I make today then life is pretty good!! :LOL::ROFLMAO:

danskis

Master member
Balsa kits are easy!!!! Yeah right. I know how you feel. My current glider kit came with German instructions and then someone translated them into pretty good English. Their is even a great build log on RC Groups. But what they didn't mention in any of these is the D box wing sheeting comes in 3 thicknesses depending on the wing section so I used up all the wing tip sheeting on the center section. I ended up sanding the 1.5mm down to 1mm for the tip sheeting. And then there are the 40 plus un-numbered ribs. Now I remember why balsa wings are harder than foam board wings.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
The Cub is done after a fashion. I'm tempted to strip the monokote and redo it. Burkeomatic steered me to this Cox engine/mount - www.thingiverse.com/thing:4685002/files
I used his cylinder & head and made my own case and tank to fit the Cub and put the CG in the right spot. With the faux glow plug motor I've made a model of a model plane! AUW is 227g so no transponder, etc.

Cub1.jpg

cub2.jpg

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
After some frustrating crashes, 3 props and my fingers CAed together I've decided going back to balsa is not for me. No reflection on Willy Nillies kits, they're top notch. Maybe something bigger would have been better. Anyway, I found a nice safe place to fly it.

IMG_4419 (2).JPG

TooJung2Die

Master member
After some frustrating crashes, 3 props and my fingers CAed together I've decided going back to balsa is not for me. No reflection on Willy Nillies kits, they're top notch. Maybe something bigger would have been better. Anyway, I found a nice safe place to fly it.

😁👍 That's why it's called an "airplane hanger".