Help! Antenna repositioning.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Mayyyyyyyyyybe . . . It is possible to add some protection to the cloverleaf, but it depends on what you want to mount it to and what you're willing to do.

Soldering on a longer feed wire is possible, but you've got to have the right kind of coax for it, and it can be a bit fiddly to do right. Feed length can impact signal quality, but overall, it's not super critical -- may make the signal weaker, but won't break it. I don't recommend it offhand, but you could have success with it.

Building a protective cage (or embedding it in the airframe) is also an option. I'tll depend on the airframe quite a bit and where you want your camera gear. Keep in mind, plastic or fiberglass -- metal or carbon framing near the antenna can distort the antenna pattern and create nulls and signal shadows in directions you don't expect.

If you share a few more details about what you want to mount the camera to, you'll probably get some more specific suggestions :)

model3113

I have a Walrus and a UMX Radian. It was mainly for better signal and to minimize drag on the radian but it seems like the costs outweigh the benefits. I think I'll just have to settle for bending the antenna backwards.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Try making a cage around the antenna with zip ties. They are springy and should not effect signal transmition.