Anti-Aircraft fun!

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I've been meaning to post up some of the fun we had this past weekend out at our field, something we do once every couple of months:

PAINTBALL!!

No, not like you'd think. We actually pull out our old planes and let the club shoot down some aircraft.

What happens is that we have people set up in 4 chairs in the pilot's box, and we get pilots to come down the flight line from right to left in front of everyone, letting them take potshots at our old planes, hopefully marking them up with some good splats.

Turns out paintballs have a little more velocity than you'd think and tend to punch through foamboard:

image0.jpeg

If you look closely, you can see several holes through the wing, and the pink paintballs that exploded at the trailing edge. What finally brought it down was a lucky shot that took out the prop, and down she went. I managed to pancake it into a safe landing, even with the hunk missing from the right elevon (the wing is upside down).

And before anyone says, "You built a perfectly good Versa Wing to let people shoot up?!?", no - I actually built it for our combat events, to crash INTO other perfectly good Versa Wings, and this one just happened to hang on from the week before. It's now dead, and I'm going to rebuild it for next month's combat event. :)

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I've been meaning to post up some of the fun we had this past weekend out at our field, something we do once every couple of months:

PAINTBALL!!

No, not like you'd think. We actually pull out our old planes and let the club shoot down some aircraft.

What happens is that we have people set up in 4 chairs in the pilot's box, and we get pilots to come down the flight line from right to left in front of everyone, letting them take potshots at our old planes, hopefully marking them up with some good splats.

Turns out paintballs have a little more velocity than you'd think and tend to punch through foamboard:

View attachment 154591

If you look closely, you can see several holes through the wing, and the pink paintballs that exploded at the trailing edge. What finally brought it down was a lucky shot that took out the prop, and down she went. I managed to pancake it into a safe landing, even with the hunk missing from the right elevon (the wing is upside down).

And before anyone says, "You built a perfectly good Versa Wing to let people shoot up?!?", no - I actually built it for our combat events, to crash INTO other perfectly good Versa Wings, and this one just happened to hang on from the week before. It's now dead, and I'm going to rebuild it for next month's combat event. :)
That's sounds like tons of fun!!

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
That's sounds like tons of fun!!

It was a LOT of fun, but there were a few moments of sheer terror on my part, because I had to stand a little in front and to the left of the firing line, so that I could bring the plane around close enough for them to see and shoot it. And worse, I was trying to fly it slow AND knife edge enough for them to have a target to hit? VERY, VERY difficult - but it tested my skills as a pilot, that's for sure!

I got to fly 3 batteries before it was finally taken down, and everyone (pilots and shooters alike) had smiles on their faces when it was all said and done. :) All that said, I think I'll be headed to Home Depot or Lowe's for some coroplast - paintballs don't punch through that as easily.

Last edited: