Any 3d or just not this 3d ?

Wildthing

Legendary member
Well a week of printing got me this :) . To put it in perspective the table is 4' long . Next to do all the hinging.
2020_0124_175400_001.JPG
2020_0124_181433_001.JPG
2020_0124_181449_002.JPG
2020_0124_182051_001.JPG

Zetoyoc

Elite member
@sundown57 actually no. i purchased the skr mini e3 1.2 board. since it came with a spot on the board to plug in the bltouch directly without an adapter. it also has the better drivers and runs silent. a lot more so than i expected actually.

as far as i know if is near identical otherwise. and is a drop in replacement for the original ender 3 board

Zetoyoc

Elite member
ok so there would be a lot more to do to update a true creality.
i really dont think so. provided the bootloader was installed. from what i am reading it is a 50/50 shot to have it arrive installed from creality. but if so it should be just as i stated. I accept that i could be missing something here but from my investigation so far people are doing the same things with my board as are done with the creality 1.1.5 board

Zetoyoc

Elite member
Well a week of printing got me this :) . To put it in perspective the table is 4' long . Next to do all the hinging. View attachment 155778 View attachment 155779 View attachment 155780 View attachment 155781
that is looking great. it has a lot more sweep to the wing than i thought it had. I am looking forward to seeing how it goes together.
I had a successful print on my test wing parts so am also going to start making long print runs to try to get mine together.

sundown57

Legendary member
I agree that's the process for the 1.1.5 board however that board came only on the ender 5 plus or purchased as an upgrade. All others such as the ender 2, 3, 4 , regular 5 , CR-10 and so on had the sanguino 1.1.3 or 1.1.4 and do not have a bootloader installed. Also from what I have experienced the sanguino board will not communicate with CURA so it can not be upgraded with a USB that way. I have not tried with a micro SD. Am I correct that to upload a boot loader you will need an Arduino uno and know how to program that? Reason I'm asking is I just went through heck trying to flash a 1.1.5 board and never did get it to work so I sent it to a trade school that has a 3d printer program and they too have no been able to get it going altho they have only had it 3 days. I really don't want to see guys in here with stock enders start bricking their machine because they all thought it was a simple thing to just flash the firmware any way they want. It seriously isn't that easy. At least not on a creality board.

Zetoyoc

Elite member
I am sorry. I was under the impression that you had purchased the upgrade board. And agree. For $30 it would be far easier and maybe cheeper due to heavy stress drinking or eating. To get the upgrade board and have a clear path.

sundown57

Legendary member
I am sorry. I was under the impression that you had purchased the upgrade board. And agree. For $30 it would be far easier and maybe cheeper due to heavy stress drinking or eating. To get the upgrade board and have a clear path.
I did buy the 1.1.5 to replace the 1.1.4 i had. It does have the bootloader but I had significant problems getting the BLTouch installed and telling the board it is in an ender 5 and not 3.

sundown57

Legendary member
Just in case anyone reading this is curious the problem i ran into is. I used the creality firmware with the isp loaded provided with the creality BLTouch packing to flash the ender 5 firmware on to the board. that worked on however that did not include the BLTouch and the thermal runaway was not enabled. SO i downloaded creality's firmware for the BLTouch but that's when I found out they made a major error and set the nozzle at 0,0 and not 10,10. therefore the probe traves off the bed. ANd you can not use creality firmware in marlin. And marlin just put out a version called marlin-bugfix 2.0x however that one will not work with the sanguino board. if you follow the steps and enable the sanguino and hit compile with out even trying to upload you get multiple errors.

Just writing this because i want anyone thinking of upgrading to know what is ahead. If anyone does it and makes it work IM all ears cause i want to do mine too.

Zetoyoc

Elite member
oh..,. i just saw plans for a 3d printed catalina. yes ill be keeping my eye on that.. slow down, finish the first print. lol

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
Hey, I had a quick question. Is it ok for a 3D printer to run all day every day? I mean, is it bad for the hot end and bed to stay hot for long periods of time? Will printing too much shorten the lifespan of the printer?

Might be a stupid question,:unsure:

Thanks,
Jeremy

Zetoyoc

Elite member
Hey, I had a quick question. Is it ok for a 3D printer to run all day every day? I mean, is it bad for the hot end and bed to stay hot for long periods of time? Will printing too much shorten the lifespan of the printer?

Might be a stupid question,:unsure:

Thanks,
Jeremy
i imagine like anything with wearable parts that the more you run them the more maintenance and repair you may have to do. I have seen reports of 20 hour plus runs and even saw a video where a guy made chain mail like armor. and printed for i think it was 3 months straight. now he did have to stop for repairs a few times. but for us the odd week of 10 - 15 hour prints shoudlnt hurt the machine any. over time you may find you have to replace nozzles or an extruder, or something a bit more frequently than the casual trinket maker.

i havent had mine that long to be sure of what i just said but it seems reasonable.

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
i imagine like anything with wearable parts that the more you run them the more maintenance and repair you may have to do. I have seen reports of 20 hour plus runs and even saw a video where a guy made chain mail like armor. and printed for i think it was 3 months straight. now he did have to stop for repairs a few times. but for us the odd week of 10 - 15 hour prints shoudlnt hurt the machine any. over time you may find you have to replace nozzles or an extruder, or something a bit more frequently than the casual trinket maker.

i havent had mine that long to be sure of what i just said but it seems reasonable.

Ok, that's good to know! Thanks for the info!:)

Zetoyoc

Elite member
i am guessing your prints will start to suffer. for instance I replaced my bed because I noticed that the parts I pulled off it were not flat. the bed was warped. so i replaced it( easy) and installed a bltouch. (not an easy thing ) , you may occasionally want to check the tightness of your screws. think of it like a car. if you dont pay attention to it and meet its needs, daily, monthly, yearly maintenance it will fail on you earlier than it may otherwise. it will be a lot of noticing little things and diagnosing what may have caused it . sorry that is not a do this at x time, but best i have at the moment.