Any 3d or just not this 3d ?

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I've had good results with Hatchbox and AmazonBasics.

I've heard good things about Hatchbox PLA too. Monoprice's stuff is good as well, and if you're on the West Coast, it's usually delivered within 2 days.

I can warn you off on Shaxon brand, though - that's what I'm using right now, and when the roll is gone, I'm getting something better. It's really brittle when it's cold (and I'm not talking extreme temps - high 50's/low 60's Fahrenheit) and I've had it break off inside the tube to the hot end, multiple times. It's just not a good product.

chris398mx

Master member
Don't toy with me. Getting the holes sizes right would put me in heaven! That sounds kinda creepy don't it. :eek:

Joe
Under the Shell inputs, Horizontal Expansion can compensate for hole size. I am not sure if this will affect the outside of the part as well. I haven't really played with this setting yet.

1576254271128.png

Wildthing

Legendary member
I considered it but except for the hole issue print quality is just about perfect and I don't want to go making so many changes that I get more totally lost than I already am.

Joe
That's why I like doing the little 1cm cube, just minutes to do a new test print. The cube as an example though the wall thickness should be 1mm so if yours measures to thin increase the flow and of course the opposite if it is to thick.

There is also the flow test where you mark off 100mm on your filament and then manually in the printer software your extrude 100mm and then check to see where your mark on the filament is and then adjust the flow in your software. I have to search for the video.

Turbojoe

Elite member
Under the Shell inputs, Horizontal Expansion can compensate for hole size. I am not sure if this will affect the outside of the part as well. I haven't really played with this setting yet.

View attachment 150797

I made a 10x10x3 test piece with a 3mm hole. Started off with -.5mm and that was way too much. The hole jumped to 3.67mm but the outer dimensions shrunk to 9.02mm. I kept dropping the number until I got a 3mm hole but the outer was at 9.62mm. Ended up going down to -.075 to get perfect 10mm outer measurement but the hole was 2.88mm. I'm burned out and probably won't mess with it anymore. I'll probably just size the holes with a drill bit and save what's left of my sanity.

Joe

Wildthing

Legendary member
I made a 10x10x3 test piece with a 3mm hole. Started off with -.5mm and that was way too much. The hole jumped to 3.67mm but the outer dimensions shrunk to 9.02mm. I kept dropping the number until I got a 3mm hole but the outer was at 9.62mm. Ended up going down to -.075 to get perfect 10mm outer measurement but the hole was 2.88mm. I'm burned out and probably won't mess with it anymore. I'll probably just size the holes with a drill bit and save what's left of my sanity.

Joe

I know the feeling :)
I purposely make my holes smaller so I can drill them out to a nice smooth exact hole.

Turbojoe

Elite member
That's why I like doing the little 1cm cube, just minutes to do a new test print. The cube as an example though the wall thickness should be 1mm so if yours measures to thin increase the flow and of course the opposite if it is to thick.

There is also the flow test where you mark off 100mm on your filament and then manually in the printer software your extrude 100mm and then check to see where your mark on the filament is and then adjust the flow in your software. I have to search for the video.

I've been printing so many test pieces but I don't think I did that one yet. I'll print it out in a few minutes. As far as the extrusion test it is spot on. I measure back 150mm and make my mark then run the 100mm. For me it makes it easier to get a precise measurement. If 50mm is left it doesn't get any better. Cura says 9 minutes to print the cube. I'll report back in a bit.

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member

The 1cm cube you had posted earlier is a full cube. No opening to check wall thickness. No problem as I found a test cube in my folder of downloaded Thingiverse files. Wall thickness is measuring 1.06 - 1.08mm so it's off just a bit. I've had enough for today. I'll go at it again tomorrow.

Joe

Last edited:

Wildthing

Legendary member
The 1cm cube you had posted earlier is a full cube. No opening to check wall thickness. No problem as I found a test cube in my folder of downloaded Thingiverse files. Wall thickness is measuring 1.06 - 1.08mm so it's off just a bit. I've had enough for today. I'll go at it again tomorrow.

Joe

Turn off infill and top layers :)

sundown57

Legendary member
ok so been playing with this printer for like 5 hours. Got the bed leveled and printed an XYZ cube and it came out great. then I tried printing another one and now no matter what I do I can't get the first layer to stick to the bed. I tried moving the bed closer but no help. should I raise the bed temp or maybe lower the fan speed ?? will I burn it out if I raise the temp too high?

Wildthing

Legendary member
ok so been playing with this printer for like 5 hours. Got the bed leveled and printed an XYZ cube and it came out great. then I tried printing another one and now no matter what I do I can't get the first layer to stick to the bed. I tried moving the bed closer but no help. should I raise the bed temp or maybe lower the fan speed ?? will I burn it out if I raise the temp too high?

When you say you raised the bed did you just adjust higher or did you adjust the z offset?
Yours is the glass surface right? Are you using hairspray or anything like that for adhesion?

chris398mx

Master member
I had the same problem when i first started using my printer. I bought glue stick and aqua net hair spray. I've only ever used the hair spray and it works good. I have also read you can use painters masking tape on the bed as well, For PLA, I use 60 degrees C for the bed temp and 210 extruder temp.

sundown57

Legendary member
i used cura 4.4.0 and in that it defaulted to 60C for the bed and 200 for the nozzle. I raised it in cura to 80 for the bed and 220 nozzle. the bed is not glass its like a textured black material

sundown57

Legendary member
yeah, that's what the settings defaulted to. I thought with the bed creality comes with you didn't need hairspray or adhesive. once i kicked up the temp it printed fine

chris398mx

Master member
i used cura 4.4.0 and in that it defaulted to 60C for the bed and 200 for the nozzle. I raised it in cura to 80 for the bed and 220 nozzle. the bed is not glass its like a textured black material
I would try the painters tape, the worst it can do is not work. My Bed is glass, i am not sure if you can use the hair spray on a non glass surface.

Wildthing

Legendary member
I run 55 to 60 for the bed and on a average 200 to 220 for the nozzle.
For my bed surface it came with sheets that looked like painters masking tape so when I ran out of the sheets I used tape. I still had things come loose no matter what. Your surface could be wearing out, probably just held on be 2 sided tape. Now for the last couple years I have been using the BuildTak sheets , fricken awesome, things actually sometimes stick to good. Just last week I installed the BuildTak Flex plate system , 1st is a magnetic sheet (tape one side) that you attach to the bed then there is a flexible metal plate which you put one of their surface sheets onto . When your print is done you take the flexible plate off , bend it and the model starts to pop off.

Oh, I still have my glue stick, :LOL::LOL::LOL:

sundown57

Legendary member
the printer is only like 3 weeks old so I don't think it's worn out yet. can you tell what build plate it is from the picture?

Attachments

• IMG_4477 2.JPG
    IMG_4477 2.JPG
    836.3 KB · Views: 0

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
the printer is only like 3 weeks old so I don't think it's worn out yet. can you tell what build plate it is from the picture?
What a rabbit hole you have found! Not even a rabbit hole. More like a bore-drilling. Be careful. Once you get below the mantle of the planet, things get really weird! :love: