Any 3d or just not this 3d ?

Wildthing

Legendary member
the printer is only like 3 weeks old so I don't think it's worn out yet. can you tell what build plate it is from the picture?
No in 3 weeks they shouldn't be worn out. Found this online , basically the same idea as what the BuildTak sheets I use.
https://www.amazon.ca/Creality-Original-Platform-Sticker-235x235mm/dp/B07NY1FLZJ

I would make sure your z offset is set close enough to the bed. I like my first layer to smear slightly.

Check this article out

sundown57

Legendary member
i have it set about as tight as i dare go. it is printing but now i have a new problem. when the head changed direction it leaves long a small glob at the end of the stroke. then when the head comes back it knocks it off the board. i think that's retraction correct?

Wildthing

Legendary member
You will have a little oozing at start up and shutdown , even when it is warming up it will flow slightly .

Wildthing

Legendary member
no its not just at startup. As its printing, it's doing it so each stroke has a dot on the end that the head catches.
Sounds like you can increase the retraction amount and even speed.

If it's a big blob at initial startup this is my startup code . Mine has the auto level sensor too so what it does is go through it's 6 point level test and then goes to the front of the bed and takes a quick dump then starts printing.

Modified Start Code With Auto Level

G21 ; set units to millimeters
G90 ; use absolute positioning
M82 ; absolute extrusion mode
M104 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0} ; set extruder temp
M140 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0} ; set bed temp
M190 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0} ; wait for bed temp
M109 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0} ; wait for extruder temp
G28 ; home all axes
G29 ; Run bed auto-leveling​

M500 ; Save Settings​

M501 ; Load Settings
G92 E0.0 ; reset extruder distance position
G1 Z5 F {travel_speed}; raise nozzle by 5mm
G1 Y-3.0 F1000.0 ; go outside print area
G1 X60.0 E9.0 F1000.0 ; intro line
G1 X100.0 E21.5 F1000.0 ; intro line​

Wildthing

Legendary member
This I believe is just the dump part of it which could be added to your start code.

G92 E0.0 ; reset extruder distance position
G1 Z5 F {travel_speed}; raise nozzle by 5mm
G1 Y-3.0 F1000.0 ; go outside print area
G1 X60.0 E9.0 F1000.0 ; intro line
G1 X100.0 E21.5 F1000.0 ; intro line

sundown57

Legendary member
I know I've had the printer a whole day and all but I'm not quite ready for code my own files just yet. I did download an STL for a prop spinner and it kinda worked but came out crappy. Like stringy where the holes for the screw are. have to watch more videos. downloaded plans for skis and cure say they don't fit build volume.

Attachments

• IMG_4482.JPG
    IMG_4482.JPG
    732.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4481.JPG
    IMG_4481.JPG
    827.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4480.JPG
    IMG_4480.JPG
    797.4 KB · Views: 0

mach1 rc

Master member
I know I've had the printer a whole day and all but I'm not quite ready for code my own files just yet. I did download an STL for a prop spinner and it kinda worked but came out crappy. Like stringy where the holes for the screw are. have to watch more videos. downloaded plans for skis and cure say they don't fit build volume.
Nice. I wish I had a printer for that kinda stuff.

Turbojoe

Elite member

That's pretty weird. Almost looks collapsed near the top at those "slots". Maybe it needed some supports inside? It'll be interesting to hear what you find.

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
Turn off infill and top layers :)

I should have been able to figure that out but I was too wrapped up in over complicating things for myself. Argh....

After removing layers and infill it printed good. Just for grins I made my own the same size in TinkerCad and just printed it. On both cubes I measure .99 - 1.01 mm on all walls. X and Y both measure 10.01 mm. On both cubes Z measures 9.95 mm. I should leave it alone but I may try to fine tune Z axis for a perfect 10. In the cube that I made I added 2 mm and 3 mm holes. 2 mm reads 1.86 mm and the 3 mm reads 2.87 mm. I'm sick of chasing the hole size so to save what's left of my sanity I'll just drill 'em to size.

Joe

Wildthing

Legendary member
I should have been able to figure that out but I was too wrapped up in over complicating things for myself. Argh....

After removing layers and infill it printed good. Just for grins I made my own the same size in TinkerCad and just printed it. On both cubes I measure .99 - 1.01 mm on all walls. X and Y both measure 10.01 mm. On both cubes Z measures 9.95 mm. I should leave it alone but I may try to fine tune Z axis for a perfect 10. In the cube that I made I added 2 mm and 3 mm holes. 2 mm reads 1.86 mm and the 3 mm reads 2.87 mm. I'm sick of chasing the hole size so to save what's left of my sanity I'll just drill 'em to size.

Joe
I would say leave it alone and start printing. Heck put a new spool of filament on and it prints different again.

Turbojoe

Elite member
I would say leave it alone and start printing. Heck put a new spool of filament on and it prints different again.

You're absolutely right. I didn't start checking dimensions until I started creating a few things AFTER starting my second spool. The first spool was mainly spent on miserable failures and cutesy unicorns etc for my daughter and dinosaurs for my grandson. Who knows how close or far off they were. Now I know how important it is to check calibration after a spool change. A non stop learning experience for sure...

Joe

sundown57

Legendary member
any idea why when I start a print the line on the side prints fine and the border around that part prints and sticks great but then when the head moves to begin print the part the bed drops down like a lot and the print fails

Wildthing

Legendary member
any idea why when I start a print the line on the side prints fine and the border around that part prints and sticks great but then when the head moves to begin print the part the bed drops down like a lot and the print fails

I don't quite understand the last part of the sentence but with a straight edge check to make sure the bed isn't warped and go from every angle.

sundown57

Legendary member
I did check the center and it's set right I think the problem is in the file I downloaded. just as it begins to print the actual part the bed drops down like 1/8 of an inch. its a file I got offline so maybe just doesn't work with my printer

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Ok. I didn't fly today. Actual Santa happened!

20191215_190859.jpg

Yep. Ender 3 Pro! Have you got goosebumps, yet? I do!

Then this happened.

20191215_223941.jpg

My first 3d print! Whoots! It's the base of a spinner. Leveling the bed was a biatch. I had a few aborted prints. Once It was right though?

20191216_001127.jpg 20191216_001142.jpg
The lighting is bad. I'll try to get better pics. Everything is perfect except for some flash at the base of the screw holes on the cone. Maybe a little drift on the outside of the nose, It's got a flat spot here and there.

Overall? Pretty darn, goshing, you betcha, kick a$$ good for a printer I didn't even know I was getting yesterday! Santa not only loves me, he knows me and he came through for the best Christmas present I've received in many, many years! Now where's that wee tugboat file.... :cool: