Any 3d or just not this 3d ?

kilroy07

Legendary member
Ok I have to admit. I have wanted a 3d printer for a long time. Before I was I to planes there are so many board game components I'd like to make as well as the plane parts now. So I looked at Craig's list. And found a promising lead. Bit I have no idea what the upgrades he lists are or are worth. Any help would be amazing.
https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/ele/d/vancouver-creality-3d-ender-3-skr/7035570282.html
Looks like he’s asking about what he’s got in it. See if he’ll take $200.
My opinion you don’t need the auto bed leveling with the smaller beds. Not a fan of glass, get a sticker or PETG. Capricorn tubing is nice (although it looks like he could shave a couple inches off of it) I also always recommend the all metal extruder…
The 32 bit board is nice, but a bit overkill on a simple cartesian setup.
If he came down to $200-220 it would be a decent buy.

Zetoyoc

Elite member
My opinion you don’t need the auto bed leveling with the smaller beds. Not a fan of glass, get a sticker or PETG. Capricorn tubing is nice (although it looks like he could shave a couple inches off of it) I also always recommend the all metal extruder…
thanks for the info. I already reached out to him and he didnt want to budge onthe price. it does seem like if i wanted to do the work i could buy new and make the same upgrades. thanks again

Wildthing

Legendary member

In the picture you can see a printer to the left and right of it, must be a business of some sort I would guess.

I do like my auto level, my start code is written now to do it everytime on the start of a print.

I think if the guy came down in price plus threw in the gantry reinforcements I think it would be a good deal.

sundown57

Legendary member
Well, it's official. I now own a Creality ender 5. Apparently, he has already done some upgrades. Post I got a new free, roll PLA with it. Im stoked to get started lol

Attachments

• IMG_4466.JPG
    IMG_4466.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

sundown57

Legendary member
it has these upgrades done already. anyone know of anything else I could do to it?

There is a direct drive extruder (filament feeds from the top instead of side),
glass bed,
metal extruder,
and printed bed struts at the bottom of the bed

sundown57

Legendary member
I actually know the story behind it. Seems he bought it 3 weeks ago and when it arrived his girlfriend got pretty pissed and he didn't know why. Turns out she had bought him one for Christmas so he just said he didn't like it and got rid of it while the getting was good. I saw her. he made the right move.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I actually know the story behind it. Seems he bought it 3 weeks ago and when it arrived his girlfriend got pretty pissed and he didn't know why. Turns out she had bought him one for Christmas so he just said he didn't like it and got rid of it while the getting was good. I saw her. he made the right move.
Ha - kinda funny! I wish I had got it!

Wildthing

Legendary member
it has these upgrades done already. anyone know of anything else I could do to it?

There is a direct drive extruder (filament feeds from the top instead of side),
glass bed,
metal extruder,
and printed bed struts at the bottom of the bed

Start printing :D :D

Looks like you got a great deal . Make sure to pick up a set of calipers so you can measure the filament thickness, doesn't matter which slicer you use there will be a spot to put that figure into. Start doing some test prints and watch videos to learn how to adjust settings to improve the print.

sundown57

Legendary member
Start printing :D:D

Looks like you got a great deal . Make sure to pick up a set of calipers so you can measure the filament thickness, doesn't matter which slicer you use there will be a spot to put that figure into. Start doing some test prints and watch videos to learn how to adjust settings to improve the print.
I'm a machinist lol. I might have a pair or two of calipers laying around or I could use my 5 digit micrometers lol.

Turbojoe

Elite member
Start printing :D:D

Excellent suggestions. I've had my daughters printer for about a year and have only calibrated the extruder. The only problems I've had really are holes that aren't round. I just used a drill to take care of that. On Monday I sat down at the printer and printed out a calibration cube. Spent many hours making very minute M code stepper changes using Pronterface for access then printing a cube to check the results. I kept notes all along the way. At some point I mixed up X axis with Y axis and went WAY off track. What took me about 6 hours and many, many, many cube prints would have likely taken less than an hour if I hadn't screwed up the X and Y axis. Hey, I never said I was smart! I did learn a lot along the way though so the time wasn't completely wasted. I actually got the final X,Y,Z cube measurements down to .01mm tolerance! The holes are perfectly round now but still come out smaller than what is input in my files. Likely a temp or layer thickness I need to work on now. Or I could just use a drill bit to get final size. ;)

Joe

Wildthing

Legendary member
Excellent suggestions. I've had my daughters printer for about a year and have only calibrated the extruder. The only problems I've had really are holes that aren't round. I just used a drill to take care of that. On Monday I sat down at the printer and printed out a calibration cube. Spent many hours making very minute M code stepper changes using Pronterface for access then printing a cube to check the results. I kept notes all along the way. At some point I mixed up X axis with Y axis and went WAY off track. What took me about 6 hours and many, many, many cube prints would have likely taken less than an hour if I hadn't screwed up the X and Y axis. Hey, I never said I was smart! I did learn a lot along the way though so the time wasn't completely wasted. I actually got the final X,Y,Z cube measurements down to .01mm tolerance! The holes are perfectly round now but still come out smaller than what is input in my files. Likely a temp or layer thickness I need to work on now. Or I could just use a drill bit to get final size. ;)

Joe

Good stuff,
Now also check your extrusion rate, with a 1cm cube ( no top surface) that is suppose to have 1mm wall