Any flyers in middle Georgia? Thomas area?

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
I'm in Warner Robins. CraftyDan will probably weigh in soon, and he's across town from me. We fly out at Norm Deputy Field outside Fort Valley and occasionally at Emmett Walker Field outside Roberta.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
What he said ^^^^^

We'll probably be out at the Fort Valley field tonight from dinner to dusk (which keeps getting shorter. When is that time gonna change again?!?). We're out there most every Monday or Thursday, with the occational Tuesday thrown in to keep things interesting.

If you've got your AMA, feel free to come on out and fly. looks like about 45 miutes on backroads . . . probably better than the 45 minutes of rush hour traffic I get to wade through.

Last edited:

ElJosh

I live in Fayetteville, but I go down to Barnesville a lot. Are there any Ga meet ups people have?

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
I live in Fayetteville, but I go down to Barnesville a lot. Are there any Ga meet ups people have?

I think the closest we've come to that are the few times that other FT people have joined Dan and me at the field. There should be a fair number of FT people at SMS and SEFF. I go up to Dunwoody once a month for indoor free flight contests--nabbed two national records this past Saturday. Some great flying gets done at those contests. There are some folks who show up that build beautiful airplanes and they really fly well.

For those who don't know, the Flite Test crew will be at Emmet Walker Field next week. I believe they're arriving here in Warner Robins on Monday night and departing Wednesday morning. Dan can correct me on that since he's more in touch than me.

Weather permitting, here are things that will be present at the field, with hopefully some of them flying:
-Rocket planes. Yes, more than one. If the wind is calm perhaps I can put up a C engine flight and let folks see how fast a motor glider ought to climb. :D
-Spruce Goose. You know, the one with 8 engines. Except all eight props are powered by rubber bands in this case.
-1942 Smoothie (see my avatar). Quite simply the most beautiful model airplane ever designed by one of history's finest aeronautical engineers.
-Smattering of other rubber powered models and gliders, all free flight, plus my grossly overpowered electric glider (which is R/C)

Dan will unquestionably have all sorts of fun including his FPV mini quad, FPV Calypso, and a few unorthodox models of various shapes and sizes.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
ok . . . details . . .

The FT guys WILL NOT be there that whole time. They'll be in the area.

They'll be at Emmitt Walker Field (next to CMJ hobbies) at least from 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM on Tuesday, Jan 13. They may stay longer, and *might* arive earlier, but beyond that, no guarentees.

The field is open to normal flight operations, so if you've got your AMA membership and a GAMA club member you've got full rights on the field. Those with AMA memberships can be invited as guests to fly (and if we're not packed to the gills, you might just get a chance). The forcasts are still skcetchy this far out, but weather underground is guessing 63F, light winds with 60% rain . . . but hard to say where the front is going to be. We might just end up getting REALLLY cosy under the awning.

Dunno what the FT guys will have to show off, but their primary goal is to meet-n-greet-n-fly with the club members and flyers from the area. Yes, that means you. They'll be coming back from the Frosty Dog over at Tripple Tree, so no telling what they'll have picked up or what they'll have that's still airworthy ;)

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
They'll be at Emmitt Walker Field (next to CMJ hobbies) at least from 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM on Tuesday, Jan 13. They may stay longer, and *might* arive earlier, but beyond that, no guarentees.

Yeah...I could have done a *much* better job of saying what I said.

ElJosh

Sweet, I might can make down. I won't have my quad done in time, and I start school back up. But I think I'll try and make it.