Any help with electronics?

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to start into the hobby, but I'm having trouble with my electronics.

I've got a Turnigy 9X, with the included Turnigy ia8 receiver. I ordered the Flite Test Power Pack C, which comes with this ESC: https://store.flitetest.com/emax-blheli-series-30a-esc-xt60-emx-sc-0101/p784969

I wired up the receiver, ESC, motor, and a servo, hooked it up to battery, and successfully bound transmitter and receiver. However, whenever I try to run it, I just get constant beeping out of the motor, and neither the motor nor the servo respond to any input.

Anyone have any ideas of why this is happening, or how to fix it?

Sorry if this is the wrong subforum, if needed I would be happy to delete and relocate.

Thanks folks!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to start into the hobby, but I'm having trouble with my electronics.

I've got a Turnigy 9X, with the included Turnigy ia8 receiver. I ordered the Flite Test Power Pack C, which comes with this ESC: https://store.flitetest.com/emax-blheli-series-30a-esc-xt60-emx-sc-0101/p784969

I wired up the receiver, ESC, motor, and a servo, hooked it up to battery, and successfully bound transmitter and receiver. However, whenever I try to run it, I just get constant beeping out of the motor, and neither the motor nor the servo respond to any input.

Anyone have any ideas of why this is happening, or how to fix it?

Sorry if this is the wrong subforum, if needed I would be happy to delete and relocate.

Thanks folks!

First make sure to remove the prop from the motor.
My guess, the lead from the Rx to the ESC is plugged in backwards. Try turning it 180 degrees.

Yes definitely no prop on the motor, I don't want to chop anything off.

Flipping the RX wire to the ESC causes there to be absolutely no reaction when I plug in. When I have it in the original orientation, the RX lights up. So it doesn't seem like it could be that.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Constant beeping from the motor usually means it isn't getting a proper signal. Try re-binding, and make sure that your throttle channel isn't reversed in the radio. After re-binding, power cycle everything and make sure you power up the transmitter first.

Constant beeping from the motor usually means it isn't getting a proper signal. Try re-binding, and make sure that your throttle channel isn't reversed in the radio. After re-binding, power cycle everything and make sure you power up the transmitter first.

Yes, I've done all that. Re-bound 3 times now, and tried with throttle channel both reversed and non-reversed. Everything has been power cycled dozens of times since I've been wrestling with this for hours.

d8veh

Elite member
It's possibly low voltage protection. The ESC automatically detects the number of cells. Without a balance lead, I can't see how it can do that. Maybe someone can explain. Assuming that it does it from the battery voltage, it must think that you're using a run down 4S rather than a charged 3S. Try changing your battery voltage by charging or discharging. What is it presently?

Can you post some pictures of your connections?
IMG_20181103_120845728[2].jpg

It's possibly low voltage protection. The ESC automatically detects the number of cells. Without a balance lead, I can't see how it can do that. Maybe someone can explain. Assuming that it does it from the battery voltage, it must think that you're using a run down 4S rather than a charged 3S. Try changing your battery voltage by charging or discharging. What is it presently?
Battery currently reads at 12.41 volts

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
YWhen I have it in the original orientation, the RX lights up.
Constant beeping from the motor usually means it isn't getting a proper signal.
I agree you had the plug correct. I agree with Sean, the ESC is not getting signal. With the Rx bound you should be able to move the servos. If you can’t move them, you’re not bound. If you can move them, then the problem is with the ESC and Rx not communicating.

I agree you had the plug correct. I agree with Sean, the ESC is not getting signal. With the Rx bound you should be able to move the servos. If you can’t move them, you’re not bound. If you can move them, then the problem is with the ESC and Rx not communicating.
Here's the thing.

I turn off the TX. I plug in the battery to the RX system. I get no beeps.

I put my throttle stick to mid-range. I turn on my TX. The display says "Dude, put the throttle to minimum or I'm not going to freaking do anything".

I put the throttle stick to minimum. The TX goes into normal operation mode. And the RX system starts beeping.

That indicates to me that they are absolutely bound.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Here's the thing.

I turn off the TX. I plug in the battery to the RX system. I get no beeps.

I put my throttle stick to mid-range. I turn on my TX. The display says "Dude, put the throttle to minimum or I'm not going to freaking do anything".

I put the throttle stick to minimum. The TX goes into normal operation mode. And the RX system starts beeping.

That indicates to me that they are absolutely bound.

I agree, sounds like you are bound. You should turn the Tx on first, just as a matter of habit. So what happens when you give it max throttle?

I agree, sounds like you are bound. You should turn the Tx on first, just as a matter of habit. So what happens when you give it max throttle?
Yes absolutely, the standard case is to turn on TX first, but I tried the alternative order as a matter of troubleshooting.

If I give it max throttle, it responds exactly the same as min throttle.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Yes absolutely, the standard case is to turn on TX first, but I tried the alternative order as a matter of troubleshooting.

If I give it max throttle, it responds exactly the same as min throttle.

We are running out of options here. Could it be a bad signal wire?