Any help with electronics?

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I'm not really that experienced with Turnigy/Flysky equipment, but I remember there being a setting in the Tx to setup the receivers output... Is it possible it's set to output CPPM rather than PWM?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I’d want to see if anyone else has any ideas first. I’d try cutting off the ESC plug & solder on a new end from an old servo or servo lead. I’m out of ideas.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I'm not really that experienced with Turnigy/Flysky equipment, but I remember there being a setting in the Tx to setup the receivers output... Is it possible it's set to output CPPM rather than PWM?
Sean got another good point

I'm running the ER9X firmware. There is an option of Enable PPMSIM in the Controls section of the options menu, but that doesn't seem to change anything.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
But then how do you explain the fact that I mentioned earlier where the beeping does not start until getting input from the TX?
I can’t, I have no idea why the ESC would respond, maybe it needed a moment to boot up?

When the Tx & Rx are talking, you’ll be able to control servos. Could be a bind issue, or protocol or something else.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Had a quick look at the ER9x manual, the PPMSIM option is not what I was thinking about (it should be off), and I don't see the option I was thinking about either. Did you do the calibration setup after you installed the firmware?

Had a quick look at the ER9x manual, the PPMSIM option is not what I was thinking about (it should be off), and I don't see the option I was thinking about either. Did you do the calibration setup after you installed the firmware?

I did a calibration process where it told me to put everything to its midpoint, then to move the sticks to their maxes and mins. So yes, that process is complete. Each stick goes from -100 to 100 exactly as expected.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
On the display on the transmitter, all the numbers change in response to the sticks exactly in the way I expect.

Aside from everything we've covered, all that really remains is a hardware issue - probably a defective receiver, though it could also be the Tx. I would contact HK support and see what they can do for you.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Sean... do I remember an issue about a year or so ago where a certain brand of radio had binding issues an after all the same troubleshooting it turned out to be the radio too close to the receiver?

Just for giggles and hahas try the whole binding process AFTER making a complete new model profile and power cycling tbe radio. Then get a second pair of hands to help with binding and keep the radio 5 or 6 feet away at minimum.

d8veh

Elite member
I get the same beeping on my Carbon Cub since the ESC was replaced by the one from my C-pack. The Carbon Cub's receiver does some complicated initialisation because of the GPS in it. The ESC beeps continuously from the time I plug in the battery until the Receiver gives the signal that it's ready to go. During that time, I can't operate any control surfaces or the motor. This means that the beeping must be because it doesn't get a "ready to go" signal from the receiver, so my reckoning is that you have to look at the receiver tom solve your issue.

If you still think it's the ESC, you can prove that by disconnecting it from the receiver and using a 5v battery/supply or USB supply to the receiver to power it. The servo should then work unless the problem is in the receiver.

I get the same beeping on my Carbon Cub since the ESC was replaced by the one from my C-pack. The Carbon Cub's receiver does some complicated initialisation because of the GPS in it. The ESC beeps continuously from the time I plug in the battery until the Receiver gives the signal that it's ready to go. During that time, I can't operate any control surfaces or the motor. This means that the beeping must be because it doesn't get a "ready to go" signal from the receiver, so my reckoning is that you have to look at the receiver tom solve your issue.

If you still think it's the ESC, you can prove that by disconnecting it from the receiver and using a 5v battery/supply or USB supply to the receiver to power it. The servo should then work unless the problem is in the receiver.
Well, I did that and the servo doesn't respond.

How do I know if the problem is in the transmitter or receiver though? I don't have replacements for either.