Any help with electronics?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Well, I did that and the servo doesn't respond.

How do I know if the problem is in the transmitter or receiver though? I don't have replacements for either.

Tell me more about your Tx, what module are you using? What version of Er9x?

Andrew

G'day Mate
Here's the thing.

I turn off the TX. I plug in the battery to the RX system. I get no beeps.

I put my throttle stick to mid-range. I turn on my TX. The display says "Dude, put the throttle to minimum or I'm not going to freaking do anything".

I put the throttle stick to minimum. The TX goes into normal operation mode. And the RX system starts beeping.

That indicates to me that they are absolutely bound.

"I turn off the TX. I plug in the battery to the RX system. I get no beeps."
That's because the RX gone into "Failsafe mode" giving the ESC a low signal allowing the ESC to arm.

"I put my throttle stick to mid-range. I turn on my TX. The display says "Dude, put the throttle to minimum or I'm not going to freaking do anything"."
another safety feature.

"I put the throttle stick to minimum. The TX goes into normal operation mode. And the RX system starts beeping."
The TX won't transmit anything until you do this.
ALSO at this stage try giving some down trim on the throttle or re-calibrat the ESC, the ESC won't arm unless it sees a low throttle signal so it beeps to warn you.

"That indicates to me that they are absolutely bound."
To be 100% sure see if the servos move with the sticks.

Now that you've changed other settings in the transmitter without doing the above steps first I think it's going to be harder to sort this out.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
"I turn off the TX. I plug in the battery to the RX system. I get no beeps."
That's because the RX gone into "Failsafe mode" giving the ESC a low signal allowing the ESC to arm.

"I put my throttle stick to mid-range. I turn on my TX. The display says "Dude, put the throttle to minimum or I'm not going to freaking do anything"."
another safety feature.

"I put the throttle stick to minimum. The TX goes into normal operation mode. And the RX system starts beeping."
The TX won't transmit anything until you do this.
ALSO at this stage try giving some down trim on the throttle or re-calibrat the ESC, the ESC won't arm unless it sees a low throttle signal so it beeps to warn you.

"That indicates to me that they are absolutely bound."
To be 100% sure see if the servos move with the sticks.

Now that you've changed other settings in the transmitter without doing the above steps first I think it's going to be harder to sort this out.

Would it be easier to just reset the Tx back to factory settings?

Andrew

G'day Mate
Would it be easier to just reset the Tx back to factory settings?
Yes,
I also calibrate EVERY new ESC I use, a lot of people skip this step because there too eager to get going. It takes less than 10 seconds to do it then you know it's getting full range, low and high throttle.
Some Gimbal trimpot/potentiometer can be out of spec from new.

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I do not know where you are up to but I use the FlySky iA6 and there was something that I did not expect initially and I had problems with the binding actually taking properly.

Try when you bind try the following. ESC and Bind plug in the Rx and then apply power. Hold down the bind button on the Tx and turn it on.
The Rx light should change to indicate it is bound. NOW pull out the bind plug only!!!! Allow the Rx to re-initialise and now you can turn off the Tx and turn it on, (not in bind mode).

If you bind and turn off the Rx or Tx with the bind plug installed the bind can be lost. Don't ask me why but it drove me crazy for a while!

Yours might not be the same but it is Just what works for me!

have fun!

Andrew

G'day Mate
How do I do that? It's not a matter of eagerness, it's a matter of unfamiliarity.
First, take off your prop, accidents can happen when you're not 100% sure you know what you were doing!!!
Get the TX back to factory settings,

Esc calibration procedure
Start with EVERYTHING turned off Tx and Rx
Turn ON Tx
Put stick at FULL throttle
Plug in model battery, now you will hear calibration tone then two beeps THEN straight away lower throttle stick to low position, then it should beep again, now it's armed and ready to use.
That's it, done.

First, take off your prop, accidents can happen when you're not 100% sure you know what you were doing!!!
Get the TX back to factory settings,

Esc calibration procedure
Start with EVERYTHING turned off Tx and Rx
Turn ON Tx
Put stick at FULL throttle
Plug in model battery, now you will hear calibration tone then two beeps THEN straight away lower throttle stick to low position, then it should beep again, now it's armed and ready to use.
That's it, done.
Absolutely, I would never attach my prop unless I'm ready to fly. That's too darn dangerous.

No change after going through that procedure.

Andrew

G'day Mate
Absolutely, I would never attach my prop unless I'm ready to fly. That's too darn dangerous.

No change after going through that procedure.
Next thing I would test is the throttle channel, plug a servo into the throttle channel on the receiver and see if you get any movement when you the throttle stick.

Andrew

G'day Mate
Nope, nothing.
At this stage it's either you haven't bound (bind) the Rx properly or their is a fault some where, if you can't get it work with a servo there's no way it will work with a Esc. Sorry I couldn't help any more, I'm out of ideas.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Do the Turnigy radios do the same stupid thing that Spectrum does and not default to 1000us to 2000us range?

Spectrum has to be set to + / - 147% on throws to achieve this range.

Maybe go into the end points and extend the throttle low side down a bit more and see if that gets it low enough the esc thinks its ok to arm.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Regardless of the motor throttle range you should be able to control a servo. If not the bind did not hold and therefore NOTHING will respond as it should.

have fun!

Andrew

G'day Mate
Do the Turnigy radios do the same stupid thing that Spectrum does and not default to 1000us to 2000us range?

Spectrum has to be set to + / - 147% on throws to achieve this range.

Maybe go into the end points and extend the throttle low side down a bit more and see if that gets it low enough the esc thinks its ok to arm.
You only need to do that for multirotors.
I've used Spektrum for over 8years (25+models) and NEVER need to do that for fixed wing.

I do not know where you are up to but I use the FlySky iA6 and there was something that I did not expect initially and I had problems with the binding actually taking properly.

Try when you bind try the following. ESC and Bind plug in the Rx and then apply power. Hold down the bind button on the Tx and turn it on.
The Rx light should change to indicate it is bound. NOW pull out the bind plug only!!!! Allow the Rx to re-initialise and now you can turn off the Tx and turn it on, (not in bind mode).

If you bind and turn off the Rx or Tx with the bind plug installed the bind can be lost. Don't ask me why but it drove me crazy for a while!

Yours might not be the same but it is Just what works for me!

have fun!
At the moment of "The Rx light should change to indicate it is bound", the neverending beeping starts. Still no response.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I’ve got a Turnergy 9x pro, running Ex9x, with a 4 in 1 module, the module with a dial. Tell us more about your Tx. What module do you have? What version of Er9x?

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Edit. Sorry. Didn't read all of the posts in the thread and it sounds like you already did a throttle calibration. If so ignore the following.

Just a quick thought. There are two types of continuous beeping that a motor/esc typically makes when it senses an issue. One is a beep every second or so, which indicates that the ESC is not getting any valid signal. The other is a faster, 2 or three beeps per second which indicates that the esc is getting a signal but is not happy that the signal is not at zero throttle (even if your stick is at zero throttle, it may not match the ESC calibration for zero). So I would suggest calibration of the esc with the following steps.

Everything off.
Throttle stick all the way down
TX on
Set throttle all the way to 100%
Plug in your esc.
You should hear start up tones then two beeps at which point pull the throttle to zero.

This is worth a try but it doesn't necessarily fit with the fact that your servo is also not working.

DamoRC

Last edited:
I’ve got a Turnergy 9x pro, running Ex9x, with a 4 in 1 module, the module with a dial. Tell us more about your Tx. What module do you have? What version of Er9x?
The module is the one that came with the radio, which says "Native 2.4 GHz" and FCC ID N4ZRM00300.

In ER9X when I hit Menu -> Radio Setup -> Version, I get a screen which says
VERS: 1.747-Mike
DATE: 30.11.2016
TIME: 13:41:02
SVN: er9x-r920
MOD:

Does that help?

Edit. Sorry. Didn't read all of the posts in the thread and it sounds like you already did a throttle calibration. If so ignore the following.

Just a quick thought. There are two types of continuous beeping that a motor/esc typically makes when it senses an issue. One is a beep every second or so, which indicates that the ESC is not getting any valid signal. The other is a faster, 2 or three beeps per second which indicates that the esc is getting a signal but is not happy that the signal is not at zero throttle (even if your stick is at zero throttle, it may not match the ESC calibration for zero). So I would suggest calibration of the esc with the following steps.

Everything off.
Throttle stick all the way down
TX on
Set throttle all the way to 100%
Plug in your esc.
You should hear start up tones then two beeps at which point pull the throttle to zero.

This is worth a try but it doesn't necessarily fit with the fact that your servo is also not working.

DamoRC
Yeah, when I plug in my ESC with throttle at 100%, I do not hear any startup tone, I just get beeping ~2 times per second, forever.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Still not sure of what the problem but there is one thing out of the ordinary I did strike a fair while ago now. I had an ESC that refused to calibrate at all using the standard procedure.

Thinking the ESC was dodgy I continued on setting up the servos for correct directions. Whilst trying to reverse the rudder servo I accidentally reversed the throttle, (everything was already powered up). Suddenly the motor beeping stopped and the motor roared into life at max throttle. A had to push the stick to the other position to get it to stop.

I checked what I did wrong and returned the throttle channel to normal. the motor now operated to standard throttle movement and I was even able to properly calibrate it.

It may not be your issue!

have fun!