Solved Any ideas for a Sportster's Landing Gear?

MarioGdV

Hi!
I've been flying the FT Sportster for 2 weeks, but every time I fly, the landing gear becomes more and more damaged. I've tried diferent landing gears, but they break easily and I don't know what to do. I made a landing gear which looks like the FT Mig-3 one, and it worked well, but I've broken it. I know I can fix it, but I can't do that everytime I break it because it adds weight and also it affects to the aerodynamic shape of the plane. The fuselage has a lot of holes, and I don't want to make more of them (I've put a piece of posterboard to cover it) . Does anyone know a strong landing gear I can use?

IMG_20180805_133947965.jpg IMG-20180815-WA0025.jpeg IMG_20180816_224248150.jpg

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
The most robust gear I have used is to first remove the foam from the FB where the landing gear is to be fitted and glue in a piece of plywood to support the FB in the case of a rough landing, (my usual standard).

Second I use a piece or 20x1.6mm Aluminium bar which I bend to shape and fit wheels are the ends thereof.

Now when I land very badly the landing gear deforms and the plane is unharmed. Just bend the gear back into shape and take off again.

What works for me!

have fun!

MarioGdV

I did the gear just how you're saying, except for the plywood. IMG_20180817_010542037.jpg

Do I have to make a piece of wood with the shape of a "L" (like the part of the gear which is glued to the wing) or just a big piece of plywood which covers the entire foamboard?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
If going on the surface of the FB I sand the FB to remove paint and the like and then glue a square of Ply on the surface which in just a fraction wider than the gear mount or the same width as the fuselage when mounting on the fuselage. The term square may be misleading as it can be rectangular as the ply is made longer than the gear requirement so that the rearwards stresses are spread over as large an area as is reasonably possible. Normally abount an inch forward and rearwards of the actual gear requirements.

This ply is epoxied to the FB and after the gear is attached to the ply I normally apply a locking coat of epoxy as well.

I flew one plane like this into a wire fence and the gear stopped but the plane flipped and slammed into the ground with great force. The wing survived but not much else did!

Have fun!

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Get rid of the gear and hand launch it then belly land. I have had mine for almost two years and it fly's way better that way. I fly mine 2-4 times a week at the school field next to my house. I never break props and it fly's great. I added some packing tape to the underside to reinforce it for belly landings. MIne is really beat up from crashing and pushing it to the limits, but hot glue and tape are working to keep it airborn....for now...I also use a SK3 motor from Hobby King as the FT stock recommended motor is terrible...

Attachments

• IMG_0089.JPG
    IMG_0089.JPG
    477 KB · Views: 0

DMC RC

DMC RC
Get rid of the gear and hand launch it then belly land. I have had mine for almost two years and it fly's way better that way. I fly mine 2-4 times a week at the school field next to my house. I never break props and it fly's great. I added some packing tape to the underside to reinforce it for belly landings. MIne is really beat up from crashing and pushing it to the limits, but hot glue and tape are working to keep it airborn....for now...I also use a SK3 motor from Hobby King as the FT stock recommended motor is terrible...
Sweet Tiger Scheme!

I have a skin I made for the mini sportster a long time ago but I have yet to build the plane.

MarioGdV

I think I'm going to remove the gear, as nhk750 said. It's hard to land with the wheels where I fly, and it's always windy. Thank you all for the help!

checkerboardflyer

I used a FoamWerks foam drill to drill a few holes in the bottom of my Old Speedster fuselage. Then used a foam board doubler and some BBQ skewers to put inside. Hot glued the doubler over the 3 holes made earlier. Double cable ties to hold the wire lg to the skewers. Works great. You'll need to bend a Speedster type landing gear for this to work. To solve the hard to land part, you might consider Tundra tires available from HobbyKing. More tips and tools at: https://foamboardflyers.com/

Attachments

• speedster-lg-doubler.jpg
    speedster-lg-doubler.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 0
  • foamwerks-drills.jpg
    foamwerks-drills.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 0
  • double-cable-ties.jpg
    double-cable-ties.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 0
  • hobbyking-tundras.jpg
    hobbyking-tundras.jpg