Any Kiwi's lurking?

bracesport

Legendary member
seems I am the only Wellingtonian on this thread - I have my links attached below - I am currently building too much and not flying enough - winter weather in Wellington is not helping!

bracesport

Legendary member
today here is wellington would have been OK for flying at my new slope site (southerly facing) but I needed to spend some time with the family after being away for a week - check out some of my build threads - at least I have some build time!

Phil

Zsifta

Chris from Blenheim. Welcome and enjoy it. Build so far: Simple Cub, FT Legacy, FT Explorer and FT Master series Corsair.
Watch out for the heavy foam board, you have to keep your builds as light as possible. Lots of help available on the forum, just ask.
Hi Chris from blenheim it's Mat from blenheim. Where you flying and which foam u using?

chrisvdv

Matt, I am not flying at the moment due to health issues, will be joining Radio Control Model Planes Marlborough as soon as I am feeling better. http://rcplanes.x10host.com/locationp.htm
I used to buy my foam from Uncle Bill's in Wellington which sell's the Readi Board foam. Started off buying the Jassard foam board from Bunnings but it was too heavy. I am halfway through a balsa/foam build of a Royal F4u Corsair 1/8 th scale. I now buy sheets of insulation foam from Bunnings and cut my own sheets with a foam cutter that I have build. Much cheaper and I can cut the foam at almost any thickness.

Last edited:

Zsifta

Matt, I am not flying at the moment due to health issues, will be joining Radio Control Model Planes Marlborough as soon as I am feeling better. http://rcplanes.x10host.com/locationp.htm
I used to buy my foam from Uncle Ben's in Wellington which sell's the Readi Board foam. Started off buying the Jassard foam board from Bunnings but it was too heavy. I am halfway through a balsa/foam build of a Royal F4u Corsair 1/8 th scale. I now buy sheets of insulation foam from Bunnings and cut my own sheets with a foam cutter that I have build. Much cheaper and I can cut the foam at almost any thickness.
I've been getting mine from "2fantastic" it seems really good. I fly at that club. Be good to see some of those builds come up and fly. I really want to see more people flying and I reckon the fb builds are such a great way go get into it. Over lock down I've built, rc powers f18, t50. Rc foam fighters viper 50mm edf, my design 600mm wing, my adaptation mini drak and am about to build a 36 inch drak, giving the Gordon Harris foam a try

bracesport

Legendary member
@Zsifta - I like the GH foam for my wings that are sanded or laminated as it holds its shape well - the extra weight is not an issue as I am mostly building slopers! :D

Mclags

Got an alert about this thread dunno if I have already posted lol.
In the sunny Hawkes Bay here!
Got access to Rediboard foam board here at Uncle Bill's store, actual name not my uncle.
_T1_2668.jpg

Me and my wife in the middle.

Mclags

Nice looking plane, is it foamboard? Does uncle bills courier?
Nah, that was a balsa beast I built for the Red Bull Challenge about 18 months ago. I won it and got the trip over to usa with VIP tickets to the Red Bull Air Races in Indianapolis.
Not sure about Uncle Bill's. I'm over that way tomorrow so I'll try to remember to call in and ask.

lukec

Anyone still lurking? Luke from Auckland here. Have just finished building the Tiny Trainer. Build an extra fuselage so have the 2 ch glider and the 3ch powered trainer. Used Foam Board from LookSharp, seems to be ok and its available in matt black which looks slick! Waiting on electrics from China to finish the trainer. Furiously training up on flight sim to minimise the damage!
IMG-0e9a79330baa3cc6501e61009e09bc1f-V.jpg

mortal

Anyone still lurking? Luke from Auckland here.

Hi Luke,

Yep, still lurking in Auckland and flying when I get the chance. Those Tiny Trainers look great - I bet the glider would slope soar well, and we have some great spots in Auckland.

LookSharp is where I’ll be getting my next batch of foamboard from after Covid lockdown.

Did you get in the air yet? I’m happy to help a fellow enthusiast.

Below is the second FT plane I’ve built and flies nice. The first was also an FT Flyer but I used the heavy Gordon Harris foam board so the CG was way out and I couldn’t get it stable. It was easier to just build a new Flyer with the lighter LookSharp foamboard!

15409A7E-07FB-4D57-A454-9FEACBF02F29.jpeg