Help! Any mini 3d planes?

RossFPV

Although Late to the party here I just want to also add that the ShrubSmacker is an EXCELLENT mini bird, and more than capable of 3d flying. I built two of them before. The thing is way more nimble that it has any right to be. I LOVED flying mine FPV with a camera on the tail. As far as a mini planes goes it was one of the most durable planes I built too, able to take several "oopsie" landings with only a new prop and/or motor pod needing to be put together to get it in the air again. I hardly ever needed to repair the body of the plane.
i started building one a day or 2 after i posted this thread and it seem really well built but im waiting on more glue so i can finish the wing.

L Edge

Master member
Lol I can do inverted figure 8’s on a 3D plane. It’s the helicopters I haven’t mastered yet! Total different concept, because it’s like flying everything on a ball, but now you’re trying to move in a mirror, while utilizing only half of the throttle stick to keep the helicopter from hitting the ground.

It’s a LOT of sim practice so I don’t end up with a “dumb thumbs” moment (and I still have a moment or two of those where things go a little sideways and I forget which way is left or right, or that I need to tilt the nose of the heli up or down in addition to pitching left or right AND giving a bit of collective!)

In the old days, we started off with the Cricket and it had no gyro at all!!!! As time passed, mechanical to electrical gyros improved the game of going inverted. Way you did it was roll it or go 1/2 loop and flip the switch.(See below) You still used increase throttle to add collective. As time progressed, the programmable 1/2 throttle where less throttle increased collective, that was something you had to unlearn and re-learn as well as still using the "opposite" approach to make turns. And of course we didn't have head holding (ours was tail only) gyros or sims.

Took some practices to get the throttle in the right position so it didn't change altitude.

invert.jpg

Look at all the dip switches and pots that you used to get your heli ready for competition. Had three helis(one backup) to program and each had to be set up for each the individual traits of the flyer.

programming.jpg

Worst accident was when a wooden blade(yes that was all we had) left the blade holder as it wound up, hit the other blade, thru out the battery and it self destructed to the point that even all servos were destroyed.

charlesrc2

I'm working on building a mini Fun Fly. Still messing around in cad to get it right. Here is the first test. Fuse is 5mm Dollar Tree foam board and the wing is made with 3mm foam board from Dollar General.

Attachments

• Fun Fly 36 inch.jpg
    Fun Fly 36 inch.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0