Any one going to AirVenture? (Oshkosh, WI)

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I'm just wondering if anyone else is planning on going to AirVenture.

I know Flite Test mentioned that they might go. But to be perfectly honest, even if they do, you're not likely to run into them. AirVenture is HUUGGEE. lol.

I have a sporadic work schedule, so I'm unsure of when I'll go, but I'm going. I may even go on two separate days. I plan on just hanging out by one of the runways and just watch planes take off and land all day. Just chill. But maybe I'll go to some of the Forums or Workshops since I want to eventually get a pilot's license. Definitely going to check out the Warbirds and watch the airshow.

Anywho, who else is going?

rcspaceflight

I checked my work schedule and I'm pretty sure I'm going to AirVenture on Thursday July 31. Not that any one cares, but I thought I'd still mention it.

I'm also assuming that no one from Flite Test is going to be there since it's the week after Flite Fest. Maybe they're ambitious enough to do them right after each other. Maybe. I guess I could see them going Saturday August 2.

earthsciteach

Ah, if only, man. Its one of the greatest events on Earth. Would LOVE to make it this year, but its not in the cards.

rcspaceflight

I just started looking at what forums/talks/lectures AirVenture has for the day I plan on going and I found 6 that I want to go to and they're all at 8:30am. :rolleyes: There is just so much to do there that I'm not going to do any of it. Last year I went to one of the forums I wanted to go to and then I got distracted by all of the planes. :black_eyed:

earthsciteach

So true. It is the pinnacle of aviation in every way. I am so ashamed that I haven't been back in almost 30 years!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
My son and I will be there. He's 15 now and this will be our 15th annual visit. We're going to our 1st annual (hopefully) Flite Fest this week, so we decided to go to AirVenture on Saturday, Aug 2. I'm really looking forward to seeing the USAF Thunderbirds again. I haven't seen them since I left the USAF almost 2 decades ago. Also, the night airshow is a must see!

c172ae

Pro plane crasher
Wish I could go. Have been there once (2012), but it is a long way to travel for me. Planning on going there each 3rd year, so I'll probably be there in 2015.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
It's much easier to go there every year when it's 20 minutes by car to get there. ;) I even get to watch a lot of the war birds fly over my house!

rcspaceflight

I live about an hour and a half away. I've driven further for less. :D

I think I'm going to make going to AirVenture an annual thing, but I may not go once in a while. First time I went was in 2011. Then again in 2013. I saw a lot more the second time because I knew what to expect and where to go. This time I think I'm going to just hang out by the runway since planes take off and land all day. Just chill out. And this time I'm actually bringing a chair.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I live about an hour and a half away. I've driven further for less. :D

I think I'm going to make going to AirVenture an annual thing, but I may not go once in a while. First time I went was in 2011. Then again in 2013. I saw a lot more the second time because I knew what to expect and where to go. This time I think I'm going to just hang out by the runway since planes take off and land all day. Just chill out. And this time I'm actually bringing a chair.

RCSF,

If you are only going to go for one day, I HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend going when they have the night air show (August 2). They have the regular afternoon airshow that day as well, so you get two for the price of one. There's nothing like watching jet powered glider flying around in the dark shooting fireworks off it's wingtips!

rcspaceflight

Maybe. I had originally planned on going Saturday, but didn't want to deal with the even bigger crowd. Maybe I'll even go Thursday AND Saturday.

Flight Reel

I might go on sunday so if you see a weird kid walking around with a camera, backpack and 3D Robotics T-Shirt thats me. :)

TTMR

A leaf on the wind
Not this year, but anyone on the fence just needs to go, even better if you fly in, better yet to do a mass arrival!

Winglet

If you can't go this year. Go to EAA.org and watch their live web cams and listen to EAA radio. It isn't exactly the same as being there but it isn't bad. EAA really does a nice job.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I might go on sunday so if you see a weird kid walking around with a camera, backpack and 3D Robotics T-Shirt thats me. :)

Flight Reel, If Sunday is the ONLY day you can go, I'd still go if you've never been there before. If you can go any day other than Sunday I would. I've been there on Sunday already and a lot of the planes are already gone or on there way out. It's pretty sparse. It will be much less crowded though.

rcspaceflight

Flight Reel, If Sunday is the ONLY day you can go, I'd still go if you've never been there before. If you can go any day other than Sunday I would. I've been there on Sunday already and a lot of the planes are already gone or on there way out. It's pretty sparse. It will be much less crowded though.

I'm guessing that's the reason why it's half price on Sunday.

Turns out I can't make it Thursday because I have to fix my Jeep that day. So I'm either going Friday or Saturday, but I'm leaning towards Saturday. I'll see how the day goes as far as staying for the night airshow. Riding the school buses at night worries me for some reason. Last year when I went I left right at sunset for that very reason. Otherwise I would have listened to more of the Lt. Dan Band.