Any one going to AirVenture? (Oshkosh, WI)

ExperimentalRC

I'm gonna be there Friday, for the first time in my life. I've heard absolutely amazing things about it but was wondering if anybody who has been there multiple times would give me some advise. I was just planning on wandering around with my dad. It's a two hour drive for me, but I think it'll be well worth it.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I'm gonna be there Friday, for the first time in my life. I've heard absolutely amazing things about it but was wondering if anybody who has been there multiple times would give me some advise. I was just planning on wandering around with my dad. It's a two hour drive for me, but I think it'll be well worth it.

It will be worth it. And I can tell you, there is a lot to see.

For some reason the first time I went I missed where all the Warbirds where parked. That is probably the most interesting place to walk through. I can also tell you that the first time I went, I basically went for the airshow. I didn't realize that planes would be flying by the entire day. There are times when the announcer will talk about the planes flying. Usually military and he'll talk about the details and history of the planes.

Also there are two runways. The main one where the airshow will be, but then a side one where planes will take off and land all day, one right after another. It can be interesting just watching that for a while.

There is actually a RC section at the kids area. It is a rather small area and not really worth going to. You can fly control line if you like though. I think any one can sign up and try control line flying.

I don't know what else to tell you. There is just so much!

rcspaceflight

Oh, and there are school buses running all day to quickly get you from one place to another. When I first went, by myself, there was a line to get onto a school bus so I just followed the crowd and hoped for the best. If you park by the museum and do the same, you'll be fine. Unless you want to go to the kids section, that is by the museum and walk to that first.

MrClean

Saturday is show THE SHOW day. That's not to say they don't have an airshow every day but Saturday you get two. Shows start about 3 each day. One day at Oshkosh? That will make you dizzy.
Went there in 2011, camped from Wednesday to go home one Sunday. Wish I could go the Previous Friday and then watch the planes leave on Monday. The airport turns into a town of about half a million people. In 2011 Sean Tucker was just getting into his routine when the storm (there always is a storm) blew in. He was hovering his plane in the wind, you could see him looking down and just knew he was thinking "I can just harrier down and land" but he did it the legal way as soon as the front made it through.
Mud, I was pulling a trailer with my motorcycle. You really should take a dual purpose bike but if you're crafty you can make it around the mud pits, until you need to walk to the bathrooms. Just expect to be muddy while you're camping and do you best to take clean feet/shoes to walk in.
Exercise for Fred's sake! If you can go this year GO. If you're planning on future events, spend 6 months before getting your walking up. It is a shame that next to people HOVERROUNDS are next in the list of number of things. They are rent-able there and there appeared to be about 10 thousand of them. I saw a 60+ year old dude with an IVin his arm, bag off his leg, bloated like his system had just finally said screw it, obviously just outta the hospital running around on his personal hoveround. Oh and his early 30's Maxim model wife running around next to him. Must be nice to have money. If I had that kind of money I'd rent a much more considerate dude to run around with my wife.

ICE CREAM. Absolutely my favorite memory. Each day we'd sit about show center, I'd be laid back on the grass, backpack as a pillow, my buddy would nudge me with his foot and say "Wake up man, you're missing a wonderful airshow". I get off work at 3 so I'm programmed, it's nappy time. I'd wake to the sounds of multiple airplanes flying over, performing and the like. Then one day I woke, rubbed the sand out and remembered the Ice Cream stand not far away on the main drag. The best Vanilla waffle cones I've ever had. Went, bought us a couple and brought them back. Perfect treat to watch the show with.

Nothing like a night show. They have hi intensity lights on their planes, usually one that shoots off into the smoke. Well it just looks like they're flying around on rocket power, so cool. That twin engine Beech just glows at night, even from inside the engine nacelles.

Go there, ready to walk, in a crowd of like minded people denser then most Walmarts on Black Friday. Spend at least one night at the light plane field on the south and watch the ultralights do touch n gos.

I don't know if I'll make it back next year or 2016, but it's one or the other. Best dang airshow there is.

rcspaceflight

Sadly I was unable to make it this year. :( I was just sick enough for it to not seem like a good idea to go. Sleeping in and resting today (Saturday) seemed like a much better idea. Walking around all day with (possibly) a fever and sore joints doesn't sound like fun. What sucks is that I'm not so sick that I should obviously stay home. I probably would have been fine going.

TTMR

A leaf on the wind
All my other pilot friends have been posting pictures on Facebook all week, makes me wish I'd been there. Seeing as I haven't been since 07 maybe next year I'll have to go again, I realy want to see if I can fit in a Onex.