Any place to fly or anyone around Columbus, OH?

jfaleo1

Hey everyone I will be in Columbus OH over the next two weeks starting Sunday July 7 2019 for work. Is anybody in that area, and is there a good field around there to get in a few flights? I am driving up to FliteFest on Saturday but I wouldn’t mind getting out to fly a bit while I am in Columbus to make sure everything is ready to go the first week, and for that matter the second week for fun. I had to ship a couple planes so I want to make sure my equipment is not damaged and that the aircraft are trimmed out as much as possible before the are tons of people around. Plus it might be fun to meet a few new people.

Captain Video

Hi,
I live in the northeast part of Columbus, Westerville. My sons and I fly at a local middle school which has a big field. We fly there any chance we get. We are also going to FFOH, to arrive Thursday evening. If you want to meet at Genoa Middle School 5948 Old 3C Highway Westerville, OH 43082-925. You can suggest a time. We usually fly in the evening.
There is an AMA field about 15 minutes from there, Dineen Field. Has a nice groomed landing strip and my experience with folks there has been good. Not flown there yet as I just my AMA card recently. Welcome to Columbus!

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
What part of town will you be working? There are several options around town to fly.

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Hey Captain,
Unfortunately not making it up this year. Been a crazy year with the family and starting a new job the day after FFOH. Hope to get up to Edgewater some weekend later this year.

jfaleo1

What part of town will you be working? There are several options around town to fly.

Cheers!
LitterBug

I'm actually working a the Flightsafety building on the north edge of the airport and staying at the airport Hilton.

jfaleo1

Hi,
I live in the northeast part of Columbus, Westerville. My sons and I fly at a local middle school which has a big field. We fly there any chance we get. We are also going to FFOH, to arrive Thursday evening. If you want to meet at Genoa Middle School 5948 Old 3C Highway Westerville, OH 43082-925. You can suggest a time. We usually fly in the evening.
There is an AMA field about 15 minutes from there, Dineen Field. Has a nice groomed landing strip and my experience with folks there has been good. Not flown there yet as I just my AMA card recently. Welcome to Columbus!

thanks,
I had to work late Monday and tonight (tuesday) too. But I am off at about 3-4 PM tomorrow (Wed) I will see about trying to get together then if you are able but either way its close enough for some flight time. looking up the AMA field as well. I'll be at FFOH on Saturday.

Thanks(y)

LitterBug

Techno Nut
jfaleo1,
Ah cool. I work about a mile from there myself. Captain Video's options are probably the best options from there. Have a great time at FFOH!
Cheers!
LitterBug

Captain Video

Gentlemen:
My sons and I will arrive Thursday evening and staying the weekend, camping too. We will have two Ohio State Buckeyes (Scarlet color)EZ ups. Please feel free to drop by. Love to meet anyone from the Central Ohio area!

jfaleo1

I plan to try tomorrow afternoon. I will likely go to the AMA field because I will be running a couple small EDFs that are small fast and twitchy.

Captain Video

Sounds good. Not sure I can make it as I am packing for FFOH19 but we fly a 64mm Stinger from Freewing and an older 70mm at the middle school. Our main flying area is probably 75 yards deep and 400 yards wide. the basketball courts behind Genoa middle school should be deep enough to land small jets if you have lading gear. Plenty of grass to belly land too.

jfaleo1

Nice field, thanks. I think I’m going to rebuild one of mine before Saturday. Since I tried an experiment to improve stability and made it worse instead. Think I will try a different approach.

jfaleo1

Dineen Field, it was nice. No one there but me. Ended up scrapping one plane and building a new one tonight in the hotel room. It didn’t really crash just flew awfully.