Any suggestions on how to become a better Multicopter pilot?

Hasersys

Me dumping my quad into the trees. I took it up today, trimmed it out a little, and then right after I crashed it into the trees. I got to close to some power lines and as a precaution I dumped it into the trees. I miss judged the distance between me and the lines. I am looking for a bigger area to fly. Note I need to bring the gains on the pots down a little. I did shortly after this video. Aside from some out of whack props, and a bent motor mount, my quad is fine, and is flying. The frame is home built, and I plan on buying a new one in the future. I want to get better at flying. I have ordered a cored for my controller to use as a flight sim, but not sure on what sim to get. If anyone know of any good sims with a quadcopter let me know please. Also I am going to be flashing the flight board to x configuration. I am all new to the quads, I really enjoy flying them, and enjoy building them. I just am not so good at flying at the moment. :D

553405_457671014265248_847889175_n.jpg 553687_462532707112412_1363106302_n.jpg

I have a hard time with oreintation. I have green props on the way, but I will be in need of more black props.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Most helicopter simulators will help you with the orientation control issues. But I have yet to see a cheap or free simulator integrate a multicopter.

Hasersys

I am fine with paying money for a good sim. I just need one that has a good quadcopter modle in it. Practicing is getting expensive! I guess a normal helicopter would do me some good on orientation.

glydr

How many letters do we ge
I rate Phoenix very highly, possibly because I have a great interest in rotary flight.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Also a hot tip is to swap out two of the props for coloured ones. Looks better than a silly little ball.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
FMS has quite a lot of quad models available on the Web for your quad sim pleasure.

Thurmond

IamNabil

I would buy a small, bright helicopter canopy, and attach it between the front blades. It will do more for your orientation than anything else.
Afterwards, train like it was a 450 3D capable helicopter.

Hasersys

Right now i think the thig that is killing me is haveing a hk6s. You can't beat the pricebut it isnt an 9x. I need to make the controller less sensitive. My inputs are to tuchy.

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
The phoenix simulator has the gaui 330 and is great to learn on for quad flying and phoenix is not expensive if you buy the all in one simulator $13.00...................... that is pennies

Hasersys

Wow, that is cheap. I may have to get that. I also may get the turnigu 9x, and use the hk6s just for sim at home.

xtrmtrk

If you are willing to spend a few dollars on learning to fly, the Blade MQX is a fantastic training platform - you can safely fly it indoors and it's super durable. Mine has taken probably hundreds of crashes indoors, worst case scenario there are cheap replacement parts available. I bought a simulator (AeroSIM) that does multicopters pretty well, but I've learned a LOT more from my little MQX.

IamNabil

The mQx really is fantastic. I managed to get mine caught at high speed in some overhead cable/power lines. I was able to rock it out using the read two motors, back and forth, back and forth, until it fell fifteen feet to the concrete below. Total damage? There were some black marks on one of the blades. You cannot do wrong with it.

Hasersys

Yes the mqx looks sweet. I flashed my quad to x today, and I am having much better luck with that. Idk why, but in plus I have a hard time flying it, maybe the different firm ware, or maybe I am just getting better. Where can I find Phoenix for $13? Thanks for the help guys.

glydr

How many letters do we ge
It isn't 'really' $13. There are hack dongles from China which let you use a pirated copy.

Here in Australia shopping around you can get the real one new from ebay for about $130. Second hand copies usually retail around $100 around here.

Hasersys

It isn't 'really' $13. There are hack dongles from China which let you use a pirated copy.

Here in Australia shopping around you can get the real one new from ebay for about $130. Second hand copies usually retail around $100 around here.

Ah I see, well I have a dongle to allow the use of my controller, but I want a legit copy. My buddy has been talking about purchasing a sim, maybe me and him will go in on a used copy. I bet it would be fun flying on my big screen plasma!!